Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Jaders journey into the newbie sampler

This is a discussion on Jaders journey into the newbie sampler within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I thought I would start this thread as a journal while I smoke my way through my newbie trade sampler ...

Jaders journey into the newbie sampler

I thought I would start this thread as a journal while I smoke my way through my newbie trade sampler provided by Contrabass Bry. I wont go over my whole history as that can be found in the introduction thread. For the record I have been smoking a pipe for a bit less than a month. I am currently smoking out of a cobb until my first Stanwell briar is delivered. All the pipe tobacco's have been cavendish aromatics from the local cigar shop that does not have much specialty in pipes. It goes with out saying my palette is not very refined at this point.

I have not read any reviews other than some informal reviews in threads around here, and of course the info that Bryan was so kind to provide. My goal is to smoke about 1/2 -2/3rds of a bowl of each tobacco in the order suggested by Bryan. Once I make it through each type, I will start the rotation again, trying to further explore each one.

I was going to put this in the reviews forum, but I did not think that I actually have enough experience to give a fair review.

McClelland #5100

Based on the suggested sample order Contrabass Bry supplied, my first sample try was the McClelland #5100

• The aroma in the bag was nice, not pungent and not too spicy.
    • The smoke itself was much more smooth than I had seen in the past.
    • The flavors were more of a true tobacco than I have seen in the aro blends I was use to.
    • The nicotine seemed higher, at least it seemed, than the blends. I was actually taken back by the buzz, but that could be due to other reasons I suppose.

Overall thoughts: I really like the velvety feeling with the natural tobacco flavor. It tasted earthy with a touch of sweetness that seemed natural and un-contrived. I felt it was a nice smooth, yet fulfilling taste. It was a nice simple smoke that really appealed to me as the flavors were somewhat reminiscent of both the cigars (CT wrapper with DR filler) and one of the coffees (Ethopian medium roast) that I like. These tend to smooth and medium bodied.

On a side note, I had exceptional trouble keeping the bowl lit tonight. I packed it light, but maybe it was because I did not pack it full. Also, I did experience a bit more alkalinity on my tongue, which I may have been tongue bite considering my trouble keeping it lit, but I am not 100% convinced it was tongue bite, as I have experienced it with the others that I have tried and this was a bit different.

Re: Jaders journey into the newbie sampler

Great review sir! Keep them coming, I am interested in see how this thread develops. I think this is perfect for the reviews thread. Maybe a mod can help out and move it over there for you.

To keep it lit, try setting it out for an hour or 2 and dry it out a bit. I have never smoked McClelland 5100 before but if it is anything like the straight VAs that I have tried in the past they tend to require a lot of maintenance while smoking to maintain a proper burn.

Hey, Jader! I think you're missing a bet here! Put those reviews in the reviews section and cash in on some "Awards"!

Looks like you guys want me to move it, who is the resident mod that I can pm?

Quote Originally Posted by jader View Post
    Looks like you guys want me to move it, who is the resident mod that I can pm?

You can try Blaylock.
    Looking forward to reading more rewieves.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

As a relative newcomer to pipes I am interested in the reviews of someone who's palate hasn't been refined by years of smoking. I have been thinking about doing a few of these myself, great to read someone else's impression from a perspective similar to mine.

On the McClelland blends, I have not tried the 5100, but I know I was a dedicated fold and stuffer until I ran into their VAPer blend (# 2015 I believe). It was so, for lack of a better word, chunky, that I began rubbing it out thouroughly and drying it an hour or so before loading. That made it much easier to keep lit and smoke all the way through.

I definitely look forward to your further adventures in your sampler =)

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish DirtyBlackSocks's Avatar

I would really suggest newcomers look into the McClelland 210b Arcadia blend - it's very mild and light on the tongue. I have never had it give me any bite, and it's quite flavourful.

#1 McClelland apologist Contrabass Bry's Avatar

Subscribed.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on your new journey!

Your description of #5100 mirrors my own. Try drying it to the crispy stage, then you can be less cautious about packing too tight. Too loose and there may be so many voids that the fire cannot transfer between the ribbons of tobacco.

Keep it up!

Mcclelland's blackwoods flake

Glad to see positive response to the thread and I am even happier to see Contrabass Bry on board. After I posted the previous 5100 notes, I decided to look online and see what the reviews were, and it seemed my taste buds were not deceiving me. I like the idea of making it a habit to research each tobacco after I try it.

So tonights bowl consisted of mcclelland's blackwoods flake, which happens to be what I sent out as my end to Bryan at his request, and one of his personal fav's. This was my first flake so I rubbed it per Bryan's instructions, but will do some more research (and most importantly practice).

The first thing I noticed about this tobacco was there were some smells similar to what Chai would smell like. Not super strong, but it definitely came through for me. The second thing I noticed is it seemed relatively "wet", comparable to some of the drier aromatic that I tried. This is where I should have probably toasted it in the microwave, but I decided to try it as is. Once again bowl management was a bit tough. After this, I will be going back to the 10-12 second nuke followed by a 10minute or so cool down.

As I smoked the bowl, the VA flavor from the blend definitely spilled through. I found this tobacco to be less smooth, kind of like the difference between good milk chocolate, versus a good dark chocolate. There was also a definite "spice" to this, not to be confused with sweet. I cannot decide if the after taste is more like a chai or more like an allspice flavor. I think this is where my lack of experience makes my review hard, because I am not sure what that flavor, in tobacco terms, is.

Overall I think that this is something I would really like to revisit. The flavor was definitely more complex than I can really write about, or even taste. The interesting part is that now that I have finished the bowl about an hour ago, I find myself really wanting more. I am also looking forward to reading more about this blend to understand what flavors were coming through.

On a side note, I generally smoke on the back porch and have realized that I prefer to smoke in the dark, than with the light on. There just seems to be something more zen about it. Also, got my first pipe lighter, a Xikar 585. I played with a few lighters and really like the weight and easy of lighting.

After reading some on the blackwoods flake, I definitely need to give it more time to dry after rubbing it out.

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

Let it dry naturally or at the most a hot lamp shining on it. It's been expressed to me that nuking baccy will almost certainly dissipate the much needed oils therefor diminishing the flavor.
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shannensmall View Post
    Let it dry naturally or at the most a hot lamp shining on it. It's been expressed to me that nuking baccy will almost certainly dissipate the much needed oils therefor diminishing the flavor.
    It's generally not considered a good idea, but this isn't an exact science either. I haven't tried it personally but Greg Pease advises against.

G. L. Pease - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I've read about heating the tobacco in a microwave. Is this a good idea?
    In a word, NO. Heating tobacco that you like is not a good idea, as it will change the character of the blend. Blenders do it in specifically controlled ways - stoving, panning, steaming - to alter the characteristics of the leaf before, and sometimes after blending. But, if you like the way the tobacco “comes together” now, you may be less than happy if you nuke it. In some cases, you might notice an improvement, in others, the result will be anything but satisfactory.

Ok, I thought I read that people were nuking their tobacco, but I will stop this if its not good.

#1 McClelland apologist Contrabass Bry's Avatar

I too tried to speed up the drying times with the microwave when I first started. It did change the flavor quite a bit (and not for the better). You are correct in your tasting of some warm spices. Dry it more, sip it slow and you'll also get the sweetness.

As stated previously, I find that ALL McClellands tobaccos benefit greatly from being dried to the "crispy" state. It will naturally re-hydrate as you progress through the bowl as a by-product of combustion is steam/condensation.

Start too wet and you've got a recipe for frequent re-lights (which will destroy flavor), steam-burned tongue and a soggy pile of unlightable tobacco though 1/2 the bowl.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast