Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mario Grandi

This is a discussion on Mario Grandi within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by shannensmall I've not ever seen 2 of the same pipes for sale from him. That leads me ...

No longer a community member.

Re: Mario Grandi

Quote Originally Posted by shannensmall View Post
    I've not ever seen 2 of the same pipes for sale from him. That leads me to think they are all one-offs. Anyone know for sure?

Jeff, I'm stoked to hear all this praise about your pipe. I'm def a fan of his work and can't wait to start buying his pipes.
    thats what im thinking as well, which is kinda cool if theyre all one of a kind.

Every one of there pipes is a one of a kind. I have two Mario Grandi pipes and they are regulars in my rotation. One is dedicated to my favorite virginia "Royal yacht" . Wonderful itallian workmanship at a great price.interesting youtube links showing them at work
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...q=Mario+Grandi

Here is an old thread I did on them and the maker actually responded in the thread through me
    "Hi,
    we've just read your pipe forum and the comments written in it.
    Please, copy our message there.
    we want to thank you and the other smokers for the positive comments on our work and pipes.
    We guarantee we'll go on selling our pipes in ebay at an affordable price because we want that all the smokers around the world can buy and try a beautiful really hand made pipe at a real price.
    We'll go on working like this everyday
    Thanks to you
    future pipes rome"
    - futurepipes
    Mario Grandi pipes from Rome Italy
    Last edited by sounds7; 03-27-2011 at 05:43 PM.

He he, already added another...Auction just completed moments ago on a used estate Mario Grandi. In the title the guy said it was smoked once, in the text he said "a few times", either way it looks nearly new from the photos and I got it for less than $45 with shipping so hopefully I'll be happy. I now have two Mario Grandi pipes, none ordered from "futurepipes" (the other was from timkellyman on Ebay who seems to be the other source of new Mario Grandi's, and who also has fast shipping). I may have to order one from futurepipes still, just so I can say I ordered one direct from the source.

Mario Grandi Briar Pipe Only smoked once! - eBay (item 170620062345 end time Mar-27-11 19:170 PDT)

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes mrsmitty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff10236 View Post
    He he, already added another...Auction just completed moments ago on a used estate Mario Grandi. In the title the guy said it was smoked once, in the text he said "a few times", either way it looks nearly new from the photos and I got it for less than $45 with shipping so hopefully I'll be happy. I now have two Mario Grandi pipes, none ordered from "futurepipes" (the other was from timkellyman on Ebay who seems to be the other source of new Mario Grandi's, and who also has fast shipping). I may have to order one from futurepipes still, just so I can say I ordered one direct from the source.

Mario Grandi Briar Pipe Only smoked once! - eBay (item 170620062345 end time Mar-27-11 19:170 PDT)
    Dang that's a nice looking pipe Jeff. You're lucky I didn't bid against you though lol.

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

now that was a steal at 45 bucks!! Nice pipe man.
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

thats the one I was eyeing but i got 2 pipes in the last week (my first 2 lol) so i passed :P lemme know how it is, it looks awesome.

I really want a Mario Grandi!

So, I have had some more experience with my two Mario Grandi pipes, and I do still love them, but I also better understand why they are so inexpensive (for handmade pipes).

They look good, they feel good, they use nice briar, and they smoke very nicely. Part of it may be the direct marketing model they use with Ebay and no middlemen, but that is only part of it. In areas that you don't normally see, where the stem goes enters the shank, the inner shank, some of the metal work, you can see short cuts. Some tool marks on the metal, the end of one of my stems is a little rough, the end of one of the shank of one of my pipes has a mark where someone's hand probably slipped while making the pipe, and I know others have had pipes with less than straight drillings.

The best I can compare it to is CZ guns. They look good, they shoot well, they are accurate and reliable, they fit most people's hands very well. They are good guns. Some owners will compare them to guns costing nearly twice as much. However, when you look at some of the small detail work, the machining inside the gun that you don't really see, they don't have the attention to detail of the more expensive guns with some very apparent tool marks. They are great functionally, but they leave a little to be desired when it comes to attention to detail and cutting corners (again, nothing that effects functionality).

These are similar. They are nice pipes, they smoke well, they look good. However, some corners had to be cut in order to get a handmade pipe with nice briar at the price of a decent machine/factory made pipe. If those details will bother you, spend the extra $100-200 to get the higher end handmades. If they won't, you will get a beautiful handmade pipe that is a great smoker for $60-150.

Where am I on this? I plan to buy another Mario Grandi or two in the next couple months, and I have a few on my Ebay watch list right now.

Puffer Fish with some spikes bent-1's Avatar

Nice looking pipe. Agreed, I think they're the best deal on the market. I have 12 in my rotation, all good smokers.

Soon as the classifieds open up, I'll be listing a couple Mario Grandi's, but have to wait until May 4th.

So, I have had some more experience with my two Mario Grandi pipes, and I do still love them, but I also better understand why they are so inexpensive (for handmade pipes).

They look good, they feel good, they use nice briar, and they smoke very nicely. Part of it may be the direct marketing model they use with Ebay and no middlemen, but that is only part of it. In areas that you don't normally see, where the stem goes enters the shank, the inner shank, some of the metal work, you can see short cuts. Some tool marks on the metal, the end of one of my stems is a little rough, the end of one of the shank of one of my pipes has a mark where someone's hand probably slipped while making the pipe, and I know others have had pipes with less than straight drillings.

The best I can compare it to is CZ guns. They look good, they shoot well, they are accurate and reliable, they fit most people's hands very well. They are good guns. Some owners will compare them to guns costing nearly twice as much. However, when you look at some of the small detail work, the machining inside the gun that you don't really see, they don't have the attention to detail of the more expensive guns with some very apparent tool marks. They are great functionally, but they leave a little to be desired when it comes to attention to detail and cutting corners (again, nothing that effects functionality).

These are similar. They are nice pipes, they smoke well, they look good. However, some corners had to be cut in order to get a handmade pipe with nice briar at the price of a decent machine/factory made pipe. If those details will bother you, spend the extra $100-200 to get the higher end handmades. If they won't, you will get a beautiful handmade pipe that is a great smoker for $60-150.

Where am I on this? I plan to buy another Mario Grandi or two in the next couple months, and I have a few on my Ebay watch list right now.
    this! While there might be a little shoddy work (some have said they've seen fillings show in the shank or deep int he bowl even), i think you definitely get what you pay for. I don't have ****** and therefore cant buy anyone on ebay, so i won't be getting a mario grandi, though i certainly would like to try one. they're quite pretty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2