Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mario Grandi

This is a discussion on Mario Grandi within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; So, I got my new Mario Grandi in today and I really like it. It has a light colored finish ...

Mario Grandi

So, I got my new Mario Grandi in today and I really like it. It has a light colored finish which really shows the grain, a military push mount stem, a metal band around the stem (at the price point I doubt it is silver, but I'm not sure) and a lucite (or maybe vulcanite) band around the shank. It is a fairly short pipe with a pot shape. It is hand-made, and I got it for under $70 shipped. It is a very nice looking pipe.

So, to break it in I smoked 1/2 a bowl of Esoterica Tilbury in it. Tilbury is a Virginia/Burley blend. There was no gurgling or whistling from the pipe (I would have been very disappointed if there was). The bowl is a pretty normal size, with a decent thickness to it- the walls of the pipe never got hot enough to be anywhere near uncomfortable to hold.

It is short and light, but with a normal sized bowl. So, I should be able to get a decent amount of time out of a smoke with it, yet it is small enough to be very comfortable to clench (not always the case with a straight pipe).

When I was finished, I had absolutely no trouble getting a pipe cleaner to pass through into the bowl. It is drilled straight and true.

I am a big fan of Italian pipes. For a long time, one of my favorite pipes is a Fe Ro I bought years ago (I haven't found much about Fe Ro, but it appears to be the budget brand for one of the higher priced Italian makers). I've recently become a huge Savinelli fan, going from none before January 2011, to 5 now. I absolutely love my new Radice. We all know the reputations of big names like Castello. Well, I had only first heard of Mario Grandi quite recently. I am definitely going to be on the lookout for more Mario Grandi's, I'm sold.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes mrsmitty's Avatar

Re: Mario Grandi

Thanks for the review Jeff, I've been eye-balling these on eBay for quite some time.
    Last edited by mrsmitty; 03-25-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmitty View Post
    Thanks for the review Jeff, I've been eye-balling these on eBay for quiet some time.
    Beautiful pipe Jeff! Josh, I am another one who is fascinated with Mario Grandi pipes; especially since I am fond of big and tall pipes.

Thanks for the review Jeff, I've been eye-balling these on eBay for quiet some time.
    Hmm, you know, the more I think about it, the pipe really sucks. Anyone would be crazy to buy a Grandi. You may want to stay away from them...

After I buy three or four more and have "enough" to really give them an evaluation, I'll maybe change my mind and recommend them. In the meantime, everyone should wait until I have bought 3 or 4 more and been the tester and take the risk. Yup, I'm that generous, I'm willing to do that for you all

That'll teach me to encourage people to compete with me on Ebay for the same thing I'll be looking to buy

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes mrsmitty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff10236 View Post
    Hmm, you know, the more I think about it, the pipe really sucks. Anyone would be crazy to buy a Grandi. You may want to stay away from them...

After I buy three or four more and have "enough" to really give them an evaluation, I'll maybe change my mind and recommend them. In the meantime, everyone should wait until I have bought 3 or 4 more and been the tester and take the risk. Yup, I'm that generous, I'm willing to do that for you all

That'll teach me to encourage people to compete with me on Ebay for the same thing I'll be looking to buy
    Haha, luckily for us they seem to be plentiful on eBay.

Haha, luckily for us they seem to be plentiful on eBay.
    And they are usually "buy it now" auctions, so while someone may be more decisive and snatch one up you are looking at, we won't be pushing the price up bidding against each other.

Puffer Fish with some spikes shotokun16's Avatar

Lol Jeff

Nice review! I have yet puffed my mario grandi and will give it a go nextweek with some Virginians. Anyways, great looking pipe!

CWL

Good review! I really like Mario Grandis and have 10 of them. I like them for their freehands, which are pretty whimsical in design. Many of them are affordable copies of famous maker pipes costing 10X+ more so they are very economical. THeir service is amazing as I get them in 2-3 days shipped from Italy.

Just one question. Do you have huge hands Jeff10236? Reason why I ask is because MGs are typically on the large size, but that pipe in your hands looks tiny!

Quote Originally Posted by CWL View Post
    Good review! I really like Mario Grandis and have 10 of them. I like them for their freehands, which are pretty whimsical in design. Many of them are affordable copies of famous maker pipes costing 10X+ more so they are very economical. THeir service is amazing as I get them in 2-3 days shipped from Italy.

Just one question. Do you have huge hands Jeff10236? Reason why I ask is because MGs are typically on the large size, but that pipe in your hands looks tiny!
    I have short but thick fingers (and I try to play guitar ), but that is a fairly short pipe.

No longer a community member.

i wanna snag one of these sometime, good to know they're nicely made

i like the color and some of the shapes are pretty cool :P

edit: i like the one you got, its nice n small. ill have to look for it
    Last edited by Zogg; 03-26-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
    i wanna snag one of these sometime, good to know they're nicely made

i like the color and some of the shapes are pretty cool :P

Since I bought it, I've found myself looking at the Grandi's every time I get on Ebay. I haven't seen one quite like mine, but I have seen a couple smaller pipes:

Here's a nosewarmer that the description says has a large bowl (maybe large for a nosewarmer?) but appears to my eyes to have a normal sized bowl:
    BEAUTIFUL MARIO GRANDI STUBBY NOSEWARMER PIPE | eBay

Here's one I thought about when I saw it today, but decided against. It seems to have a very similarly proportioned bowl as mine:

PIPE MARIO GRANDI ITALY BRIAR SMOOTH FIAMMATA NEW PIPES - eBay (item 370496253294 end time Apr-01-11 115:59 PDT)

There was another that seemed similarly proportioned, but I'm not listing it for you because it is near the top of my shopping list , sorry.

No longer a community member.

haha, i wont be grabbing another pipe soon enough to steal your ebay stalking XD

need to try out more tobacco.. plus i smoke cigars and recently got a bunch.. so im a little backed up (certainly not a bad situation)

"The Cigar & Pipe Kid" donovanrichardson's Avatar

Very sharp looking pipe Jeff, I like the looks of that quite a bit!

Man am I loving this pipe. I smoked it Thursday night, let it sit Friday, and despite having over 20 pipes to choose from I smoked it again yesterday after only minimal rest and I'm really fighting the urge to take it out with no rest for another smoke today.

I've wanted the Savinelli 320 shape for a while (bear with me, it will be related). I finally bought one a couple weeks ago on Ebay (coming from Berlin with cheap shipping so it isn't here yet) and I bought another yesterday as well so that it will get enough rest and I won't be tempted to over-smoke the pipe with little rest. So, what do you think? Should I get another Mario Brandi just to insure that each can get some rest between smokes? Sounds like a good excuse for another pipe to me

Oh, yesterday's smoke, still seeing some nice smoking characteristics. No gurgling or whistling, the thick walls are still staying cool, great draw, I'm a clencher and it clenches quite easily, it is more than just a good looking pipe- it is a terrific smoker.

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
    I've not ever seen 2 of the same pipes for sale from him. That leads me to think they are all one-offs. Anyone know for sure?

Jeff, I'm stoked to hear all this praise about your pipe. I'm def a fan of his work and can't wait to start buying his pipes.
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast