Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Dreaded Mixture 79

This is a discussion on The Dreaded Mixture 79 within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I think I'm next, it hasn't gotten here yet though....

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

Re: The Dreaded Mixture 79

I think I'm next, it hasn't gotten here yet though.

Haha this stuff can't be that bad lol

The "Dread Mix" got its big boost from Hugh Hefner and Playboy ads, but has anybody ever seen any smoke coming out of Hefner's pipe in any of those photos over the years? I wonder if he even really smoked a pipe at all. That teensy little girly pipe I've seen in his mouth would have probably smoked crumby with anything in it, much less M79.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Now that you mention it, no, I have never seen him actually smoking it.

I have been following this thread and the others as some here have dared sample the dreaded Mixture 79. Many have expressed reservations about sampling this tobacco in their own pipes. Thus, I have come up with a solution. I won an estate pipe on ebay and am willing to donate to any pass the may develop with members daring to sample Mixture 79.

I think the pipe is very fitting to send along with a pass of this tobacco.

Here is the link to the pipe I will donate for a pass for the brave members to use to sample this unholy concoction.

Estate Novelty Pipe | eBay

Hmm, it still hasn't arrived.

I think it's been too long, even for ground shipping. I could pick up a new pouch if we want to declare this one lost.

I saw a tub of this stuff at one of my local B&Ms. So, what I'm getting from this thread is that I should NOT buy this???

Looks like the Mixture must have killed the mailman. The pass made it to a whole 4 people! oh well I say Dan go for it and resurrect the abomination and pass it on! Also pass it to Zeb next. Steve has a great idea about an estate pipe.
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb Zoober View Post
    I have been following this thread and the others as some here have dared sample the dreaded Mixture 79. Many have expressed reservations about sampling this tobacco in their own pipes. Thus, I have come up with a solution. I won an estate pipe on ebay and am willing to donate to any pass the may develop with members daring to sample Mixture 79.

Here is the link to the pipe I will donate for a pass for the brave members to use to sample this unholy concoction.

Estate Novelty Pipe | eBay
    Thats funny, can't imagine anybody wanting to smoke good baccy from a crapper!!
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

OK I'll go hunting tomorrow for some, and order it if I can't get it locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb Zoober View Post

It looks flush with promise.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Maturing Puffer Fish

OK -- I understand that no one here would recommend this baccy.

Seriously, though, have any of you smoked some of the GH "Lakelands"? How do they compared to Mix 79 (which I've never tried). I've heard a lot conflicting stuff about whether 79 is an American version of the Lakeland style or an entirely different beast altogether.

Full grown Puffer Fish

believe it or not "before altadis" took this over and three star series from iwan ries, sutliff i believe blended this and three star it wasn't all licoricey soapy as you guys are describing it. but compare any altadis blend including the h sutliff private series and to me they all have a little taste of the "finish" that all altadis blends have. the older pre- i'd say 2003 blend tasted more like great outdoors which is in the little private selection stuff you get for free from chicagoland site. so if you like great outdoors,thats what this tasted like 8 or so years ago. i ruined a sav alligator with this pipe tobacco and gave the pipe away because it almost turned me away from pipe smoking altogether.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Quote Originally Posted by doctorthoss View Post
    OK -- I understand that no one here would recommend this baccy.

Seriously, though, have any of you smoked some of the GH "Lakelands"? How do they compared to Mix 79 (which I've never tried). I've heard a lot conflicting stuff about whether 79 is an American version of the Lakeland style or an entirely different beast altogether.
    I've had both Ennerdale Flake and "the Mixture." Ennerdale ruined my very first Country Gentleman and the Mixture ruined a Dr. G. They were both experiences that I'm glad I had but will never have again.

With that introduction, if they were the only two pipe tobaccos left on earth, I think I'd rather put a cigarette out in my eye than continue smoking a pipe. But if that option, too was unavailable, I'd have to choose the Ennerdale. Mind you, this decision was incredibly difficult and I think I'm going to have to take some kind of anti-anxiety meds from really thinking about it. But the slight edge on Ennerdale was it didn't make my mouth and lips burn like the Mixture did.
    It was.....well, let's just say it was.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by owaindav View Post
    I've had both Ennerdale Flake and "the Mixture." Ennerdale ruined my very first Country Gentleman and the Mixture ruined a Dr. G. They were both experiences that I'm glad I had but will never have again.

With that introduction, if they were the only two pipe tobaccos left on earth, I think I'd rather put a cigarette out in my eye than continue smoking a pipe. But if that option, too was unavailable, I'd have to choose the Ennerdale. Mind you, this decision was incredibly difficult and I think I'm going to have to take some kind of anti-anxiety meds from really thinking about it. But the slight edge on Ennerdale was it didn't make my mouth and lips burn like the Mixture did.
    It just goes to show how different our individual tastes are! I think Ennerdale is one of the best-tasting blends I've ever had (not quite as good as Odyssey, Filmore or Old Joe Krantz but very close). I greatly prefer the Lakeland aromatic style over the "American" aro style - give me flowers, herbs, etc. over maple syrup and Christmas cookies in my baccy any day of the week!

Thanks for the comparison -- I'm actually tempted to sample the dreaded "Mixture" now, although I doubt I'll like it as much as its English counterparts. One of the keys to the Lakelands' success is the high-quality virginia flakes they use, and as much as I like burley I doubt it would be able to gracefully carry those types of flavors.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast