Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tambo

This is a discussion on Tambo within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; OK time for me to report a couple of thoughts on this baccy. I bought the stick form, an had ...

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

Tambo

OK time for me to report a couple of thoughts on this baccy. I bought the stick form, an had been smoking it dry as a bone. You see, I was kinda lucky in the one (out of 2) that I opened, a large chunk from the outer ring fell off. I was able to simply cut this up with a pair of scissors for smoking. Now smoking this baccy like this was good, however, in it's dry state it has a real unpleasant musty odor, that in a small way imparts this flavor to the baccy when smoked. What do you expect, this baccy is aged in huts for at least 5 years before it's sold.

Then I did the steam treatment to the rest of the stick. Holy sh*t this woke this baccy up! Wile it still had some notes of flavor from the previous way of smoking it( none of them include any kind of musty taste or smell) the musty smell is totally gone. The baccy itself has a texture very much like animal hide in the process of tanning. With a very sweet non-descripte smell and flavor.

I'm glad I had latex gloves on. They were permanently stained yellow from the high levels of Nic in this baccy. This stuff is nothing to play around with. Far better to be safe than sorry in this case.

Smoking it after the steaming process, it doesn't want to bit but keep your head about you. If you are not paying attention it will kick you in the ass with it's nic levels. In all honesty, half a bowl and I put it down. Not that I am sick or am having bad reactions to the nic, but just because I've had more than my fill, and am ready to set er down to be revisited later.

All in all, this is a very good, smooth baccy that reminded me of a time when I used to primarily smoke cigars. It is not for the faint of heart or the weak in spirit. Tambo WILL PUT HAIR ON YOUR CHEST!
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

#1 McClelland apologist Contrabass Bry's Avatar

Re: Tambo

Great impressions!

When I got my stick, I got right to it with a very sharp chef's knife and made some coins. The center was exceptional, but I agree that the outer portions didn't expose the potential this tobacco has.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

Nice review, particularly the yellow latex image, really stresses the potency of the leaf. Is it general practice to steam and jar it as soon as you get it, or do some of you age it in the stick and process it when you are ready to smoke it?

Either way, thanks for the pre and post steamed comparisons, very interesting!

#1 McClelland apologist Contrabass Bry's Avatar

The next time I get a stick, I will steam it. But I'll do as BaliBob suggests and keep the leaves whole and process right before smoking. I like the idea of that kind of ritual, especially if I sharing it with fellow smokers.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Diodon nepheligina's Avatar

Nice review, Shannen. And I'm with you. I can't smoke a full bowl. But I do love smoking a full bowl when mixed 50/50 with Sir Walter Raleigh...I call the mix "Sir Walter Rambo"

Contrabass Bry, that is a stunning photo. Looks like wafers of dark chocolate.
    "When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not. " ~Mark Twain

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diodon nepheligina View Post
    Nice review, Shannen. And I'm with you. I can't smoke a full bowl. But I do love smoking a full bowl when mixed 50/50 with Sir Walter Raleigh...I call the mix "Sir Walter Rambo"

Hahahaha Great name, I now have to try a pipeful of sir walter rambo when I get home!

Puffer Fish with some spikes El Gringo's Avatar

Today is the first day in a week since getting my Tambo that I'm smoking something different. ( Bobs choc flake ) Did I do it because I got tired of it? No! I had to make a firm decision not to smoke it today because the fact is I'm liking the damn stuff way too much.
    Thus I deprive myself.... I had to. If I go on as I was I'd run out before I know it.
    I smoked 3 bowels back to back when I got mine, strong yes, but I been a heavy smoker for way too long so I didnt get any ill effects.

Next time around I'm gonna get me 2 or more of the sticks for sure. I only got a 1oog bag because I didnt know what to expect.

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xodar View Post
    Nice review, particularly the yellow latex image, really stresses the potency of the leaf. Is it general practice to steam and jar it as soon as you get it, or do some of you age it in the stick and process it when you are ready to smoke it?

Either way, thanks for the pre and post steamed comparisons, very interesting!

For storage (space) Purposes, I only steamed one of my 2 sicks. The other is currently still in the freezer killing any rouge tobacco beetles that may be laying in wait.
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Puffer Fish with some spikes jfdiii's Avatar

Not a huge fan of the Tambo by itself but I think it is a great blending tobacco. I have an antique hand crank cast iron tobacco cutter/chopper that was a blast to finally get to use. I'll order more just for the fun of processing it.

50% Irish Flake, 25% Tambo, 25% VaPer - give it a shot

How does this stuff get so strong with nicotine?

No longer a community member.

I only have a few bowls worth of the Tambo that i got in a trade.we should get another group buy going so i can get more!!

Puffer Fish with some spikes italiansmoker's Avatar

Thank you for your review, Shannen. A question please: did you bought Tambo from the Indonesian vendor or there is an alternative way to buy it? Thanks in advance for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by italiansmoker View Post
    Thank you for your review, Shannen. A question please: did you bought Tambo from the Indonesian vendor or there is an alternative way to buy it? Thanks in advance for the answer.
    It's only available through the Indonesian vendor. Although Commonsenseman holds group buys to counteract the high shipping costs.
    I can't find the link to the vendor, perhaps someone will help ya with that.

Puffer Fish with some spikes italiansmoker's Avatar

The vendor link is thetntshoppe . com

Quote Originally Posted by Diodon nepheligina View Post
    I call the mix "Sir Walter Rambo"

I agree, great photo! Nice review, too, Shannon!

And super blend name, TJ! (I might just stir up some SWRambo tonight! )
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast