Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

G&H Dark Flake unscented

This is a discussion on G&H Dark Flake unscented within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Dark Flake Brand:Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Tin Description: A very strong, but very cool smoke is the result of combining ...

G&H Dark Flake unscented

Dark Flake
    Brand:Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
    Tin Description: A very strong, but very cool smoke is the result of combining in equal proportions only Malawi Dark Fired Leaf and Indian dark air-cured leaf. No additional flavours. You can smell in this tobacco the Smokey flavour of the dark fired leaf derived from its curing process of being hung above smoky fires, and the sweeter, yet still strong 'cigar type' flavour of the dark-air-cured Indian leaf.
    Country of Origin;UK
    Curing Group:Fire Cured
    Contents:
    Burley
    Virginia
    Cut: Flake
    Packaging: Bulk

I rubbed out some DF that i got in a sampler from forum member Jessefive and loaded it into my cob that I had tainted with the Ghost of Ennerdale Flake. I packed it in using the 3 layer method and set it to flame. One light was all it took to get this bad boy going. (Didnt even need a char light and never went out until the bowl bottom)

I smoked it in a very methodical sipping manner and noticed the ghost of Ennerdale at first but it was a short appearance. This tobacco has no ghost of its own that I can detect unless pure spicey deep tobacco flavor is what you call a ghost. It reminded me of a cigar actually and went from that flavor back to virgina throughout the bowl. Pretty much a straight forward powerhouse of a dark flake which is probably every bit as strong as 1792. Like getting hit in the the face with a 2x4 if you aren't expecting the nic hit. I was ready however and recall Andrew talking about this ones strength. I smoked it on full stomach while rocking on the front porch in my rocker. I probably looked like an old farmer out there surveying his land. This one does get the mind to go places and the flavor is for tobacco purists.

Not like any lakeland I have tasted to date and I will likely keep some of this around for when I want a good strong smoke and need to exorcize ghost demons of Grandma's past from my cobs. I wonder what over the counter I could mix this with to make it more of an all day smoke. Any ideas?
    Last edited by sounds7; 04-14-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Re: G&H Dark Flake unscented

Why doesn't smokingpipes ever carry this?
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sounds7 View Post
    Dark Flake
    I wonder what over the counter I could mix this with to make it more of an all day smoke. Any ideas?
    Prince Albert.

Thanks for the review! Always on the lookout for kickass nicotine.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Great review Brian!
    Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    Why doesn't smokingpipes ever carry this?
    They do carry it, but is one of the GH blends that frequently goes out of stock. I assume it is fairly popular.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    Great review Brian!

They do carry it, but is one of the GH blends that frequently goes out of stock. I assume it is fairly popular.
    Correct here is a link
    Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bulk Dark Flake Unscented Tobaccos at Smoking Pipes .com

I think it may be in stock at the moment too.

Maturing Puffer Fish

I purchased 8 oz. bulk a few years ago. There was a soapiness to it when i first smoked it, it gradually dissapated over time. The cigar note some people mentioned took close to 8 months to develop from the first day i received it. Maybe my batch was different.
    Last edited by smellyfeet; 08-16-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

This is manly-man tobacco and it might put some hair on your chest; it's perfect for a relaxing after-dinner smoke and Brian's review is spot-on to my experience.

I would call G&H Dark Flake imperfect for a Monday wake-up puff along with a morning brioche, strawberry jam and a cup of coffee. The stuff is too cerebral for distractions, not that the average virginia smoker couldn't withstand Malawi-Wowee in the morning.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

No longer a community member.

I love the scented version! (don't let the Scented part scare you) I feel that it have no big lakeland OOMMPH only a very big NIC OOMPH.

Great initial review, Brian.
    Especially the part about this blend having no ghost of it's own. Any Lakeland scent found in the tin/bag aroma quickly dissipates.
    This is every bit a clean, full, Dark Fired blend, in a great way. Plenty of Vit N, and lots of deep Malawi flavor. Goes great with strong drink. In fact, it almost needs one due to the raw strength of the blend.
    Aside from some HTF tobaccos, this is the only blend I've really stocked up on. I don't see it developing much in 5 or 10 years. But I also don't want to be without it. Ever.