Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Half and Half

This is a discussion on Half and Half within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Well, my journey to find a nice OTC blend for moments when something like that is called for, and just ...

Half and Half

Well, my journey to find a nice OTC blend for moments when something like that is called for, and just to have around when the feeling strikes, could have been ended with Sir Walter Raleigh. I've really been enjoying that stuff. However, I was graciously gifted three to try (SWR, Half and Half and Paladin), and I do still want to try PA, so I continued this quest. Given how much I am enjoying SWR, my expectations may have been too high, but even with the lowest expectations, I would have been disappointed by Half and Half.

The pouch note is a very sweet, almost sickly sweet, fruity/berry smell. The tobacco is a very attractive mix of light and dark brown ribbons. It loaded easily into my pipe, and I made sure to have a medium to light pack since it seems these OTC blends prefer that. It must have a lot of PG or other chemicals in it- it was already opened when gifted to me, I have no idea how long it has been open before I got it, I've had it for a week or two and I have left it in the pouch, and it was still quite moist.

Then, I lit it...

I can't really comment on the flavor because on first draw it pretty much burned out my taste buds. It bites like an angry dog. I might have made it through half a bowl before I had to dump it (hmm, Half and Half, smoke half, dump half?). I also can't comment on the room note since I was smoking it outdoors while walking.

I'll try it again in case this was just a freak occurrence (and I have most of a pouch of it, so I can easily give it another chance), but so far I am not very impressed. For inexpensive OTC tobaccos I think I prefer burleys, Virginias (this is 1/2 and 1/2 of each) can burn hot and I would assume the VA's in an OTC are not top of the line and may be even hotter.
    Last edited by Jeff10236; 04-16-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Re: Half and Half

Wow, Jeff. I hate that you and H&H didn't get along. It's one of my favorite OTCs. It doesn't bite me a bit either. Just goes to show how different folks chemical makeup really is.

Ah well, let us know which one you finally settle on!
    It was.....well, let's just say it was.

Re: Half and Half

Quote Originally Posted by owaindav View Post
    Wow, Jeff. I hate that you and H&H didn't get along. It's one of my favorite OTCs. It doesn't bite me a bit either. Just goes to show how different folks chemical makeup really is.

Ah well, let us know which one you finally settle on!
    Yeah, and if I remember right, you don't like SWR much and I'm loving it. It's a little funny how all that stuff can be so different for different people. I like beer, and vodka, some people like wine and whiskey. But if tastes were all the same, the marketplace would be a far less interesting place.