Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

SG Full Virginia Flake

This is a discussion on SG Full Virginia Flake within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; So, I dug into the sample of FVF Jimmy-James (User Name) sent me. As usual, my first post is after ...

SG Full Virginia Flake

So, I dug into the sample of FVF Jimmy-James (User Name) sent me. As usual, my first post is after my first bowl, I'll post updates (if I have any) after smoking more of it later. What can I say, it is a good but so far not particularly impressive tobacco- a nice competent blend, maybe a 3 to 3.5 out of 5 star rating.

In the bag the flakes are a nice size, perfect thickness, look and feel a little leathery (it doesn't smell very leathery though). I have read that it is usually a bit wet, and despite having sat for a while and fully rubbing out the tobacco, it was a little tough to get lit. It stayed lit once I got it going, but I was puffing a little overly enthusiastically and I got a little bite (considering that I was puffing a bit too hard, and Virginia tobaccos can smoke hot if you aren't careful, it wasn't much more than a little nip though).

OK, smoking it reminded me a lot of the St. James Flake which I really loved. I probably should have smoked this first, and if I had I'd probably have been far more impressed. It has the nice sweet, mellow, and slightly hay-like flavor that is expected from a Virginia. Like the St. James Flake this FVF has a good basic tobacco flavor and would be a good recommendation for someone coming from cigars. However, it always seemed like it was missing something. I suspect this might be the base for the St. James Flake which they add perique to. Without the perique it lost that peppery spice that I liked and which gave a very cigar-like feel to the taste and experience. I kept expecting the FVF to do a little more.

I do think FVF is a good tobacco. I did like it, I'll quite possibly order some when it next becomes available. It has me especially looking forward to trying some of the other Virginias I have but haven't yet smoked (I'm especially looking forward to cracking the tin of Dunhill Flake I have). However, having had the St. James Flake a lot in the past few days, it really seemed like it was missing something key (it was too similar, but didn't have the perique). Darn, for over a decade I had avoided perique thinking I disliked it, and now my tastes have changed and it appears that I must love the stuff.

So, my recommendation:
    -Try it, it is good stuff, but you'll probably like it a lot better if you either do not smoke St. James Flake recently, or if you did, you didn't like the perique/peppery spice in it and wished it wasn't there.

Puffer Fish with some spikes bent-1's Avatar

Re: SG Full Virginia Flake

Your observation is exactly the same as my initial experience, and the same initial impression of most reviews I've read. Key, let it dry on a napkin or paper towel a couple hours (it's too moist out of the tin). Sometimes I'll place it in a microwave for 15 seconds, then she's ready to go. Also, use in a pipe that's only had straight VA's or non aromatic burleys. A cob or Meer is good as well.

It will taste as sweet as a white raisin, and with some age (6m-1yr) almost sweet as candy.

OK, I had some more after going about a week without smoking the St. James Flake and my opinion of the FVF has greatly improved. I haven't had any VaPers this week so I could a more fair shot since it wouldn't taste like it was missing anything.

It is a very good tobacco. For most of the pipe it tasted like what it is- a very good straight tobacco. Towards the end of the bowl I actually got a little clove like flavor. I can't really comment on the aroma since I smoked it outdoors and it was pretty windy, and the flowers the apartment complex has set up around the benches were in full bloom.

I am definitely a fan of aromatics, English tobaccos, and now VaPers so it won't be an everyday smoke, but sometimes a good basic tobacco is just what I need. I am looking forward even more to trying some more straight Virginia tobaccos, and I will probably keep some of this on hand when it is available. Good stuff.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish z0diac's Avatar

I'm new to pipe smoking but tried the Gawith Full Virginia. I'm a fan of -strong- tobacco so this wasn't as much to my liking as 1792, but it had a good taste. I just wish their was more of it. I let it dry out overnight and it burnt very well. Very smooth. Probably good as a morning smoke for those who prefer strong tobaccos.