Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Dreaded Mixture 79

This is a discussion on The Dreaded Mixture 79 within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Wow.....just wow.... Let me start out by saying that I like a good aromatic. I even enjoy light Lakelands and ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

The Dreaded Mixture 79

Wow.....just wow....

Let me start out by saying that I like a good aromatic. I even enjoy light Lakelands and some odd mishmashes. This was none of the above.

Moist in the pouch, its a mixed color cube cut and has the consistency of a brownie. I grabbed my $2 MM cob (and left the filter in) and filled it up. It packed easily enough and took three lights to get going.

Initial draw had flavors of anise or liquorice. However...as soon as the bowl got going the flavor quickly turned. Now it was a hot and bitey smoke and was ridiculously bad. I quickly backed off and tried for an ultra careful smoke. It tamed the bite, but the flavor was still like burnt dryer sheets.

Halfway through the bowl and I had to quit. This was truly the worst baccy I've smoked to date. I just brushed my teeth for twenty minutes and I still taste it. I'm throwing out the cob!

Puffer Fish with some spikes ruralhipster's Avatar

Re: The Dreaded Mixture 79

2 dollar cob? Probably the Chinese formaldehyde cured cob to blame since I have heard nothing but glowing reviews of this beloved blend.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_2 View Post
    I'm throwing out the cob!
    No!! Stick the stem in the ground in the garden and the bowl acts as an insect repellent. Just keep children and pets away from it, although instinct should kick in and they'll avoid it anyhow.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

M79 is one product that will make you brush your teeth! It still amazes me how this stuff is even for sale still?
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

The second I buy a cob, I'll be buying Mixture 79 to go in it. Everyone hates it so much, I've got to see what all the fuss is about!

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    The second I buy a cob, I'll be buying Mixture 79 to go in it. Everyone hates it so much, I've got to see what all the fuss is about!
    Actually, we're passing a pouch around. It got lost in transit to me, so I bought a new pouch. I'm not sure who's next for this 'Hall of Shame' pass, but it's all boxed up and ready to go.

1 Firedawg
    2 THE Mixture - Owaindav
    3 THE Mixture - Natedogg
    4 The Dreaded Mixture 79 - shannensmall
    5 Blue_2

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Actually, we're passing a pouch around. It got lost in transit to me, so I bought a new pouch. I'm not sure who's next for this 'Hall of Shame' pass, but it's all boxed up and ready to go.

1 Firedawg
    2 THE Mixture - Owaindav
    3 THE Mixture - Natedogg
    4 The Dreaded Mixture 79 - shannensmall
    5 Blue_2
    Oh man I would so sign up but I'm moving in 5 days. And I'd just feel terrible if I was responsible for losing the pouch and slowing the pass down (everyone screams "OH PLEASE! PLEASE LOSE THE 79! WE BEG YOU!")

Actually, we're passing a pouch around. It got lost in transit to me, so I bought a new pouch.
    I thought the idea was to pass it around until it was GONE! You're going to replay this nightmarish masochistic exercise from the beginning?
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Of course, this experience is not to be missed!

I still have nightmares...

Everyone that smokes a pipe should experience this tobacco so that you can appreciate what you have in your cellar more.
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Zeabed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg View Post
    I still have nightmares...

Everyone that smokes a pipe should experience this tobacco so that you can appreciate what you have in your cellar more.
    Precisely! To do so will provide you the right perspective in tobacco evaluation. A baseline reading from which to proceed, as it were. The only problem imo is to efface the taste memory of M79 while you're smoking the other really good blends. So a good cleansing, if such a thing is possible after smoking M79, is necessary.
    I sure like those French fried taters. Mmm jhmm.

Gosh this sounds aweful.... I wonder if there are people that are buying this stuff? There must be though.

Thanks for the review. lol

'Twas Hef's favorite tobacco. He's been accused of ruining the lives of many women...but not because of the pics and vids and parties and drugs. They'd spend one evening with him and then years of loneliness while trying to wash the smell of the Mix out of their hair.
    The man who tries to hold his breath will surely lose it.

I'm not sure who's next for this
    Who's next for a truly unique experience?

Maturing Puffer Fish

I hate to say it, but you guys have got my curiosity aroused (along with the many conflicting opinions on TR). I'm going to pick up a sample on one of my next orders .... I'm curious, if nothing else, if it can be anywhere near as foul as what I consider the worst tobacco ever unleashed: Savinelli's Armonia.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast