Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

G.L. Pease Triple Play

This is a discussion on G.L. Pease Triple Play within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Natedogg That is incorrect. There is still 1 field in St. James that produces Perique and someone ...

Maturing Puffer Fish

Re: G.L. Pease Triple Play

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
    That is incorrect. There is still 1 field in St. James that produces Perique and someone has to be using it. Besides that, there is a video out there of the MacBaren (could have been Orlik) factory where they specifically point out their stash of St. James. They wouldn't call it St. James if it wasn't St. James. I'm not sure where you are getting your information but it is incorrect. St. James Perique is still produced and used in pipe tobacco (and other tobacco products), although in very limited quantities.

Perique - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Mystique of Perique | Pipes Magazine - The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

No, I was refering to the Acadian. Bayou Morning is one of the few Acadian blends I do enjoy, and I can only handle it in

the morning. Any other time of the day I can't handle it.
    Actually, I think the article proved my point in that it stressed what Pease and others have said -- pipe tobacco uses Acadian perique, and that's what we pipe smokers have been tasting for decades. Acadian perique DOES include St. James, it's just not 100 percent St James (they mix the St James with the processed burley). They're not lying when they said it contains St James, it's just that customers assume a whole lot about what that means.

No, I was refering to the Acadian. Bayou Morning is one of the few Acadian blends I do enjoy, and I can only handle it in the morning. Any other time of the day I can't handle it.
    Ah. Okay, then! I did read a thing about that one remaining field, which is apparently not the one in the Pipes Magazine article. That article said they only sell on barrel a year from the "new place", but the "Last of the Perique Farmers" probably sells nothing but straight perique. I've heard, but have no idea if it's true, that American Spirit buys all that production, so there's still some mystery involved here.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Maturing Puffer Fish

That is incorrect. There is still 1 field in St. James that produces Perique and someone has to be using it. Besides that, there is a video out there of the MacBaren (could have been Orlik) factory where they specifically point out their stash of St. James. They wouldn't call it St. James if it wasn't St. James. I'm not sure where you are getting your information but it is incorrect. St. James Perique is still produced and used in pipe tobacco (and other tobacco products), although in very limited quantities.

The Mystique of Perique | Pipes Magazine - The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

No, I was refering to the Acadian. Bayou Morning is one of the few Acadian blends I do enjoy, and I can only handle it in the morning. Any other time of the day I can't handle it.
    Here's a threat from another board that addresses this issue in detail: Again, it is very unlikely that you've ever had 100 percent St James perique unless you drove down to La and bought it yourself. If you're smoking a commerical blend made in the last couple of decades, it was almost certainly Acadian (which, for the record, DOES contain the St James leaf). Put another way, the perique we all smoke is a blend that contains St. James as well as the processed burley. This isn't a case of manufacturers lying to us - it's a case of smokers misunderstanding how the industry works and/or assuming that a mention of St James perique means something like "not Acadian."

Real Perique from St James Parrish LA? :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion :: Pipe Smokers Forums

I also read a blurb that C&D also buys St. James from the "last farmer." C&D does sell it as a blending tobacco. I have yet to have experienced 100% Perique but it's supposed ot be killer potent.

Cornell & Diehl Bulk Granulated Perique Tobaccos at Smoking Pipes .com
    "The worst thing you can ever do in life is set yourself goals" - Stephen Fry

Maturing Puffer Fish

And here's some quotes from Pease from an online discussion awhile back:
    1. vic Says:
      [SIZE=2]June 8th, 2010 at 189[/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
      great thread. perique. i have been troubled for some time about perique. a rose is a rose — but is acadian perique really perique? i don’t think so. high fructose sugar may taste like sugar and is a sugar but it isn’t sugar, at least not what we used to think of sugar. cane sugar. so those that use acadian perique are misleading us? burley is not perique. comments.
    2. glpease Says:
      [SIZE=2]June 8th, 2010 at 21:40[/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE]Vic, High fructose corn syrup doesn’t taste anything like sugar, and, on top of that, it’s far worse for your organs than sugar is. It’s really not fair to compare this with perique/acadian perique.
      For decades, people have been smoking blends produced world-wide with this so-called “faux perique,” and no one has cared a whit, or even noticed. But, with the advent of the pipe smokers’ newsgroups and forums, and some clowns with a marketing agenda a few years back, all of a sudden the very same perique that had been used for as long as I can remember became the sputum of the devil, and the only REAL perique came from one tiny little farm in St. James Parish.
      Now, it seems, everyone “knows” the difference. These experts whine and complain that it’s not the same as it used to be, but the fact is, it’s actually BETTER than it used to be. The Acadian perique that we buy from L.A. Poche now is the best I’ve ever tasted. It’s simply superb in every respect. It has fantastic flavour, wonderful aroma, and is far more consistent than the stuff the marketeers touted as superior.
      This is nothing I have not said before - at least a hundred times. I suspect that as long as there are pipe smokers, there will be endless disagreements over things that only those who work with the stuff can actually answer. But, apparently, no one really gives what we say much thought - their minds are already made up.
    3. [SIZE=2]June 11th, 2010 at 19:05[/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
    4. i feel like i got taken to the woodshed on the question of sugar and pereique. i don’t need to be told about high fructose sugar not tasting like sugar and that it rot’s my body. so does tobacco. but i choose to smoke tobacco. as to perique, the REAL ST JAMES PERIIQUE, i quote a response from a gentlemen how plows a living in tobacco. he re recently put a tin of the corp’s 2004 tinning on his website and said it had the “pure st james perique”. so i queried his description as to what it said about perique and apparently it didn’t say “pure st james perique”. but this is what he had to say-”pease only uses the real deal when it comes to perique and not that green river fake perique. and of couse the only real stuff
    5. vic Says:
      [SIZE=2]June 11th, 2010 at 19:10[/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE]only is grown in st james parish”. as to apparently no one really cares about what we say-bp said nothing was being spilled, then 5000 gallons, then 10,000, then 20,000, then 50,000, then. all i did was raise the question re: st james vs acadian. there is st james and then there is—-. no matter how good it might be it is green river burley. it may be the best thing since sliced bread or canned beer. that was not the question.
    6. vic Says:
      [SIZE=2]June 11th, 2010 at 19:18[/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE]so let’s call a spade a spade and engage in fair advertising. there is perique and it orginally came from st james parish, la. that is perique. burley grown in some other place and aged the same way is not perique. vadalia onions only come from vadalia, ga. other sweet onions can come from peru or washington or somewhere else but they are not vadalia onions. period.
    7. glpease Says:
      [SIZE=2]June 11th, 2010 at 20:18[/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE]This is tiresome…
      Poche’s Acadian leaf is a mixture of St. James leaf and Green River leaf subjected to the perique process. I do not know the exact proportions, nor would I be compelled to disclose them if I did; that’s up to the producer. But, there is certainly St. James perique in those barrels. Further, I have done something I’m quite sure you have not, nor has anyone who does not work in the trade. I’ve tasted not only perique from St. James, I’ve tasted perique from specific farms in St. James, AND I’ve tasted straight Green River perique, and I’ve tasted the Acadian leaf. I’m in a position to make choices, and I’ve chosen what I consider to be the best product for use in my blends. The one single time I used 100% St. James perique was in the limited edition Stonehenge, and it was advertised as such.
      Your comparison of perique with onions is no more valid than your comparison to sugar/HFCS. Vidalia onions are trademarked as such by virtue of Georgia’s “Vidalia Onion Act of 1986.” They were originally grown in Vidalia, GA, and still are confined to a small region, however, there are several varieties of onions grown in that region that qualify as Vidalia onions. A rose isn’t a rose.
      Were I to state “St. James perique” in the description, I could see why you might be willing to call foul. As to appellations, where is it written that perique implies a region rather than a process? I don’t see this definition codified anywhere in the literature. If you’re going to demand for “fair advertising,” and, by implication, accuse me of false advertising, I hope you’re demanding the same from all the other blenders. I wonder if they’ll be as forthcoming.

I'd like to comment off thread a bit: THERE ARE NO VIDALIA ONIONS FOR SALE IN NEW YORK. I love Vidalia onions. Haven't had one in 20 years, although I've bought many bags and individual ones that say they are Vidalias and even look like them. I sucker out for a bag a year, just to see if anything's changed, but they're just ordinary, mild white onions. I've had people talk about the "wonderful Vidalia onions" they bought, tasted them myself and they are NOT VIDALIA ONIONS!! (But I keep it to myself so as to not hurt their feelings.)

I'm beginning to suspect that cross pollination has eliminated the variety completely. I went to high school in Savannah. I played high school golf tournaments in Vidalia. I know my onions about Vidalia onions. If there are any, they definitely don't make it this far north.

Maturing Puffer Fish glassjapan's Avatar

Escudo
    Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake
    Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

Those are in my normal rotation.

Also:
    H&H Louisiana Red
    H&H Anniversary Kake.....

.....There is still 1 field in St. James that produces Perique and someone has to be using it. Besides that, there is a video out there of the MacBaren (could have been Orlik) factory where they specifically point out their stash of St. James. They wouldn't call it St. James if it wasn't St. James. I'm not sure where you are getting your information but it is incorrect. St. James Perique is still produced and used in pipe tobacco (and other tobacco products), although in very limited quantities.
    Those blends all contain Acadian perique. Whether one choses to call it St.James perique,Acadian,Green River Valley is a marketing discussion. Percy Martin's production from his "one farm" goes to the Santa Fe Tobacco Company to make American Spirit cigarettes. If it wasn't for Mark Ryan there's a good chance that there would be no more VApers around for us to even talk about. Greg Pease has written online numerous of times on this subject. Always pointing out the same facts as Mark. If you feel like they don't know what they talking about, there's not a whole lot more I can say to convince you otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I'd like to comment off thread a bit: THERE ARE NO VIDALIA ONIONS FOR SALE IN NEW YORK. I love Vidalia onions. Haven't had one in 20 years, although I've bought many bags and individual ones that say they are Vidalias and even look like them. I sucker out for a bag a year, just to see if anything's changed, but they're just ordinary, mild white onions. I've had people talk about the "wonderful Vidalia onions" they bought, tasted them myself and they are NOT VIDALIA ONIONS!! (But I keep it to myself so as to not hurt their feelings.)

I'm beginning to suspect that cross pollination has eliminated the variety completely. I went to high school in Savannah. I played high school golf tournaments in Vidalia. I know my onions about Vidalia onions. If there are any, they definitely don't make it this far north.
    Me thinks someone needs an onion bomb...
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Ok. Well then I guess I'm full of crap then. My bad. Take my review with a grain of salt guys because obviously I was undereducated before.

Ok. Well then I guess I'm full of crap then. My bad. Take my review with a grain of salt guys because obviously I was undereducated before.
    Regardless of a tiny bit of a Perique hickup (one way or another), I thought your review was great. Very honest.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Ok. Well then I guess I'm full of crap then. My bad. Take my review with a grain of salt guys because obviously i was undereducated before.
    None of us intend to insult you here -- just pointing out one of the few factual elements of a hobby that is incredibly subjective. According to every single blender, expert and article I've come across that addresses this issue: the perique in our favorite blends is all Acadian (which is a mixture of St James perique and processed burley). That's not an insult to you -- that's just the facts of the leaf.

Your review was quite good. And I don't doubt for a moment that your experiences with different blends differ wildly! All I was saying is that what you're experiencing is not due to a difference between "pure" St James and Acadian perique (a distinction which, as Pease points out, was created by some creative if misleading marketing guys). Many, many things could impact how you experience this blend, as any perique included is only one component of the overall blend. Stoving, casing, topping, the types of other condimental leaves,the base leaf, aging, and presumably even different types/vintages of the processed burley component of Acadian can make for huge differences.
    Again, we are not wanting to savage you or call you uneducated!!! But there are so very few "objective" "facts" in this hobby that some of us may tend to be a bit overzealous in pointing them out. It's nothin' personal.
    BTW -- if you want to see what 100 percent St James tastes like when blended with some burley and maybe a little VA, pick up some American Spirit perique cigarettes (black pack) or rolling tobacco (black pouch). American Spirit is pretty much the only company that buys the 100% product.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    Me thinks someone needs an onion bomb...
    Throw some pork BBQ and peaches in with that while you're at it, Jon.

Sorry guys, I'm a bit touchy today. Work is pissing me off and so is the suspense of this baby coming and trying to get everything done.

It must have some thing to do with how the Perique was cured or aged. There are blends that the Perique has different properties than others. Sometimes it is almost Latakia in nature and others it's smooth as silk. It could also have a lot to do with the other tobaccos it is blended with and how they were treated prior to being blended with the Perique. Who knows.

This is why I was thinking about growing my own, then saw what goes in to it and how the taste can change drastically even with the smallest change in growing, curing or blending, and I ran away.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

Nice review Nate. I think it's more difficult to post a less than stellar review of a prominent blender than to post that you loved it. I know I rarely take the time to put to words my thoughts on a baccy I don't love (or at least hate enthusiastically like the Brickle or M79).
    I have not tried either Pease plug yet, but since my tastes seem similar to yours I'll keep JKP above TP on my want list.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Sorry guys, I'm a bit touchy today. Work is pissing me off and so is the suspense of this baby coming and trying to get everything done.

It must have some thing to do with how the Perique was cured or aged. There are blends that the Perique has different properties than others. Sometimes it is almost Latakia in nature and others it's smooth as silk. It could also have a lot to do with the other tobaccos it is blended with and how they were treated prior to being blended with the Perique. Who knows.

This is why I was thinking about growing my own, then saw what goes in to it and how the taste can change drastically even with the smallest change in growing, curing or blending, and I ran away.
    Congratulations on your pending fatherhood! When's the due date? My 7-year-old daughter is on the couch beside me and my 18-year-old son just graduated high school. Being a dad is great!
    I certainly agree that perique has a character that differs from blend to blend (Russ Oulette refers to it as the "chameleon" of pipe tobaccos, if I recall). The most obvious difference to me is that it tastes somewhat peppery in some blends -- which I dislike -- and tastes sweet/fruity in others, which I absolutely love. But there are so many variables at play it's probably pointless to isolate them. I just focus on "I really like blend x" and "really don't like blend y."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast