Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

G.L. Pease Triple Play

This is a discussion on G.L. Pease Triple Play within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I received this sample from Zach (Zfog) in the MAW. I have been putting trying this for a few days ...

G.L. Pease Triple Play

I received this sample from Zach (Zfog) in the MAW. I have been putting trying this for a few days until I had some time to really have a go at this one. It was my first bowl of this, and I am going to have a few more tries at this.

The smell of the plug is very faint. It reminds me of Anni Kake. It's almost slightly ketchupy, but sweet. I simply can't get much else from it.

I have taken to using sharp scissors to cut plugs or ropes lately. It gives me a lot more control over the result. I took my scissors and cut some thin flakes from it; it was very easy to cut. I rubbed the flakes out a little and I let it sit on a paper towel for about 30 minutes because it is very moist.

Keep in mind that I am a VaPer guy. VaPers are always my go-to blends, but it seems only VaPers with St. James; Acadian doesn't do much for me. St. James adds a certain richness to a VaPer that Acadian just can't duplicate, especially when the St. James blend has some age on it.

Triple Play is easy to pack properly. Although it was still quite moist, I got the pack right the first time. The draw was perfect.

It took a few charring lights. It expands like crazy during the light, as well as during the whole smoke. Every time I tamped, a couple of minutes later it was back at the top of the bowl. Even over half-way through the bowl, it would expand back to the top after a few puffs. It never went out, and was a very easy smoke.

Speaking of smoking, this is by far the weakest plug I have had. JKP is much stronger, but that's probably because of the amount of Kentucky in it compared to Triple Play. That said, Triple Play leaves something to be desired. There's nothing that really sets it ahead of the pack. The VAs are good, but not very bright. The Kentucky is there is the shadows, but it's a bit shy and doesn't want to be seen. And the Acadian is what I usually see from Acadian, it's just so-so. It doesn't give that richness that St. James offers. It's almost like just another tobacco. All of these together created a smoke that left me feeling empty. It was lacking in a lot of areas and almost seemed bland. I was hoping this would be my last smoke of the day, but my last smoke of the day is always something that makes me feel like the day is done. I will probably pop a fresh tin of IF or cut some Tambo and have a short bowl because Triple Play just didn't do anything for me.

This is not at all what I expected from Greg. Every one of his blends I have had to this date have been extraordinary in their own way, even if they aren't up my alley. They have all been expertly blended, and have their own nuances that set them apart from everything else. Triple Play isn't one of those blends. The only memory I will have of it will be that it's just not all that good. It's not horrible in that it tastes bad (this is no M79) but it's what it lacks that makes it not so good.

I am going to have one more bowl tomorrow afternoon to check myself, then the rest will get jarred up for some aging. I am hoping age will help this blend. Sorry guys, but this one isn't a Home Run; it's barely a bases empty intentional walk.
    "The worst thing you can ever do in life is set yourself goals" - Stephen Fry

Re: G.L. Pease Triple Play

Curious to know with some age how it fairs. I hope to pick up a tin myself soon and just let it get at least 6 months on it than I will open it. Thanks for the great review.
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Maturing Puffer Fish

Still waiting to try this stuff....
    I was under the impression there was no difference between the two types of perique other than marketing descriptions (i.e. pretty much everything used today in pipe tobaccos is Arcardian) and the only pure stuff was in American Spirits ....

Thanks for your honest review Nate. I have some Jack Knife coming & was curious as to the reception Triple Play would get. May hold off on this one until a few more people whose taste I respect post reviews. Cheers mate.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Its funny how pallets differ, I thought this plug was excellent. I like JKP aslo, a bit different IMO. I thought the TL was chock full of flavor.

Thanks for the great review Nate!

Don't often see a GL Pease panned! Thanks for the warning, Nate.

From a great article: The Mystique of Perique | Pipes Magazine - The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

The one that most folks get is the blend, which is called Acadian Perique, and then the Straight St. James, which doesn’t sell as much, and we have that also.

PipesMagazine.com: The Straight St. James, that’s the 100%?

Ryan: That’s 100% St. James. What the guys discovered in the first half of the last century was that if you have a bad season, you lose 100% of the Perique and there’s none for anybody. And then the manufacturers phase it out.

Well, what the Roussel’s did, and I think really it’s credited to them because they were really ahead of the curve for everybody back then; in fact, it was Mr. Roussel back in 1905 who industrialized it with the barrel. Before then they were still using wooden boxes, which Pierre Chenet did. So their family was on the leading edge.

But he experimented to find out what other tobaccos were available. They would ferment in a process similar to the Perique and it could be used in a blend so that year after year you could have continuity and quality and you could put some Perique back to blend so that you could have this mixed blend so that there would be continuity. (Editor’s note: Kentucky Green River Burley, mixed with the St. James tobacco is most commonly used to make Perique. This particular version is the Perique that most pipe smokers are familiar with. It is referred to as Acadian Perique here.)

So they all did it in the first half of the last century, to different degrees. People didn’t really realize that it was a blend primarily that was available. And they had to do that or we wouldn’t have Perique today.

PipesMagazine.com: Are there different types of Perique?

Ryan: I mean, we label it as two types; the Acadian and the St. James.

Ryan: But really until we brought that to everybody’s attention I guess, folks didn’t realize that what everybody’s consumed exclusively since 1980, was the Acadian blend because Mr. Poche was the world’s only source since 1980.

And what I have found is the manufacturers, because all we sell to is manufacturer’s in these 500 pound barrels, they don’t want the straight St. James. In the five years I’ve had it, I’ve only sold one barrel of straight St. James to a company in Germany. They prefer the Acadian blend because it’s got consistent quality every year, they know it’s available, and it’s less expensive, but the main thing is the quality is fantastic year in and year out. You don’t have to worry about the variability in quality. Am I going to get a barrel I got to destroy because it’s rotten?
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I'm not saying anyone shouldn't try this. I think everyone should, honestly. It's not horrible, it's just not what I expected from Greg. I hated having to write this review, but I wanted to write one because it is a brand new blend, and it just didn't do anything for me.

It might do something for you though. Like I say, age may help it too because it is very, very fresh just like JKP is when you get the tins.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
    I'm not saying anyone shouldn't try this. I think everyone should, honestly. It's not horrible, it's just not what I expected from Greg. I hated having to write this review, but I wanted to write one because it is a brand new blend, and it just didn't do anything for me.

It might do something for you though. Like I say, age may help it too because it is very, very fresh just like JKP is when you get the tins.
    Thanks for the review, Nate!

It's honest and I respect that, especially since everyone's palate is different.

Good honest review.

I have been smoking a plug of JKP and love it. Was about order several tins of Triple Play, but will now just limit it to one tin to try it out.

I just had another bowl of this, and it reminds me very much of Bayou Morning, but with less body to it. It's probably because Bayou Morning also uses Reds and Acadian (Acadian just gives a different flavor with a different bite to it). Triple Play isn't nearly as strong or flavorful. It's just lacking something.

I'm guessing age will help it quite a bit. I will jar up this last couple of bowls I have and just let it sit for a year and revisit it.

Maturing Puffer Fish glassjapan's Avatar

Keep in mind that I am a VaPer guy. VaPers are always my go-to blends, but it seems only VaPers with St. James; Acadian doesn't do much for me. St. James adds a certain richness to a VaPer that Acadian just can't duplicate, especially when the St. James blend has some age on it.

I'm curious what blends you are smoking that contain St.James perique in them. According to Mark Ryan, all pipe tobacco blends have had the Acadian blend in them since 1980.

Escudo
    Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake
    Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

Those are in my normal rotation.

Also:
    H&H Louisiana Red
    H&H Anniversary Kake

Any time they specifically call out "Louisiana Perique" or "St. James Perique" it is St. James. Any other time, if it only says "Perique" it is most likely Acadian, or of course when they point out that it is "Acadian Perique."

There is a definite flavor profile difference between the two.

And just to clarify by "bite" up there I don't mean tongue bite. Triple Play does not bite at all. What I meant was the flavor profile and how it teases the tongue.
    Last edited by Natedogg; 05-22-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Escudo
    Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake
    Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

Those are in my normal rotation.

Also:
    H&H Louisiana Red
    H&H Anniversary Kake

Any time they specifically call out "Louisiana Perique" or "St. James Perique" it is St. James. Any other time, if it only says "Perique" it is most likely Acadian, or of course when they point out that it is "Acadian Perique."

There is a definite flavor profile difference between the two.

And just to clarify by "bite" up there I don't mean tongue bite. Triple Play does not bite at all. What I meant was the flavor profile and how it teases the tongue.
    I don't mean to be argumentative, but it's been my understanding for some time that ALL perique used for decades has been the Acadian. The other simply hasn't been purchased by pipe tobacco producers. I believe the differences you've noted are likely caused by how the individual companies/producers process the leaf, flavorings and how it interacts with the different components. If you feel differently, please source your information .... Freestoke posted one article, and it's consistent with several others I've read by Pease and others.

I just had another bowl of this, and it reminds me very much of Bayou Morning, but with less body to it. It's probably because Bayou Morning also uses Reds and Acadian (Acadian just gives a different flavor with a different bite to it). Triple Play isn't nearly as strong or flavorful. It's just lacking something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg
    This seemed to be a non sequitur, but I take it TP is also Acadian, so you were referring to the "reds".
    Last edited by freestoke; 05-23-2011 at 09:06 AM.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by doctorthoss View Post
    I don't mean to be argumentative, but it's been my understanding for some time that ALL perique used for decades has been the Acadian. The other simply hasn't been purchased by pipe tobacco producers. I believe the differences you've noted are likely caused by how the individual companies/producers process the leaf, flavorings and how it interacts with the different components. If you feel differently, please source your information .... Freestoke posted one article, and it's consistent with several others I've read by Pease and others.
    That is incorrect. There is still 1 field in St. James that produces Perique and someone has to be using it. Besides that, there is a video out there of the MacBaren (could have been Orlik) factory where they specifically point out their stash of St. James. They wouldn't call it St. James if it wasn't St. James. I'm not sure where you are getting your information but it is incorrect. St. James Perique is still produced and used in pipe tobacco (and other tobacco products), although in very limited quantities.

Perique - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Mystique of Perique | Pipes Magazine - The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke
    This seemed to be a non sequitur, but I take it TP is also Acadian, so you were referring to the "reds".
    No, I was refering to the Acadian. Bayou Morning is one of the few Acadian blends I do enjoy, and I can only handle it in the morning. Any other time of the day I can't handle it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast