Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Some thoughts on FVF.....

This is a discussion on Some thoughts on FVF..... within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by CWL So Jeff, which do you smoke more of, 1792 or FVF? Just curious. Oh, 1792 for ...

Re: Some thoughts on FVF.....

Quote Originally Posted by CWL View Post
    So Jeff, which do you smoke more of, 1792 or FVF? Just curious.
    Oh, 1792 for sure. But FVF will always hold a special place in my rotation.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

FVF observation of mine:

I bought my first tin of ABF, opened it, and thought "meh. . .good, not great". So I let it sit in it's square, not-at-all-airtight tin for a month or two (during the Maine winter, so it really dried out). When I tried it again it was amazing.

I have maybe 16 oz aging in various jars. I've sampled some that are now 6 months old, and it's not nearly as good as that crispy, dried out tin. In fact, I kept the last couple dried out flakes and stuck them in with some of the aging stuff, so I could compare.

I know all the conventional wisdom. And aging should be done with original humidity-levels, in a sealed environment. But has anyone else noticed that really dried out FVF is better than "properly" dried? Or, maybe, dried FVF ages faster?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEnormous View Post
    FVF observation of mine:

I bought my first tin of ABF, opened it, and thought "meh. . .good, not great". So I let it sit in it's square, not-at-all-airtight tin for a month or two (during the Maine winter, so it really dried out). When I tried it again it was amazing.

I have maybe 16 oz aging in various jars. I've sampled some that are now 6 months old, and it's not nearly as good as that crispy, dried out tin. In fact, I kept the last couple dried out flakes and stuck them in with some of the aging stuff, so I could compare.

I know all the conventional wisdom. And aging should be done with original humidity-levels, in a sealed environment. But has anyone else noticed that really dried out FVF is better than "properly" dried? Or, maybe, dried FVF ages faster?
    SG FVF comes sopping wet, little strips of wet rubbery leather right out of the tin. You have to dry it at least a little, else you could get a gurgly soggy smoke. I always leave FVF alone for at least one, if not two, weeks after popping a tin. It does dry a bit in the closed up tin, but I don't let it go bone dry, its harder to handle/fill when it turns to dust. Thats for smoking use only, aging stuff I always leave at the factory-moisture level, hopefully the blender knew what he/she was doing
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --
    Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Diodon nepheligina's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEnormous View Post
    But has anyone else noticed that really dried out FVF is better than "properly" dried? Or, maybe, dried FVF ages faster?
    By far, the best bowls of FVF's little brother, BBF, that I have had were bowls that were loaded and not smoked for 2 or 3 days. The first couple times it was serendipity. Just didn't get around to smoking them. After discovering the difference, I now load a bowl and intentionally let it sit and dry in the pipe a couple days before firing it up.
    "When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not. " ~Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2