Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some thoughts on FVF.....

This is a discussion on Some thoughts on FVF..... within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; ..... to tempt those of you who don't have it..... In my mind this is just the best straight virginia ...

Some thoughts on FVF.....

..... to tempt those of you who don't have it.....

In my mind this is just the best straight virginia out there. It's perfect in every way. Rubbed out or folded and stuffed, it's delicious either way. This is one of the creamiest tobaccos I've ever had, very smooth. Although it's full-flavored, it doesn't seem full-bodied to me. I don't notice any nicotine kick at all. It smokes perfectly to the bottom if dried out properly, ages extremely well (it seems to improve with as little as 6 months), is fairly cheap when available & tastes amazing. What's not to like?

My advice, open a tin & let it sit for a week or two to "mellow" out. Then enjoy, repeat as necessary. 4 out of 4.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Re: Some thoughts on FVF.....

I agee Jeff. "Full flavored but not full bodied!" I quite enjoy FVF fresh but can't wait to see what it's like with some age on it. A couple of my tins are just getting to the one year mark and I have to resist the urge to open them! This is one that is absolutely worth stocking up on.

btw. Thanks again for hooking me up with this fine weed in my time of need.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

I read lately folks saying, "Nyahhhhh.... Samuel Gawith.... nyahhh, Full Virginia Flake is over-rated, blah blah blah. It's just a lot of hype cause it's hard to find but it isn't really that great, blah blah blah." Same folks say the same "blah blah blah" about Squadron Leader, too.

Well, I am here to tell you that FVF and SL were both top-rated smokes long before we had to endure delivery problems. The stuff tasted great BEFORE it was hard to find and it STILL tastes great. Blah blah blah. Common'man has it locked down right. +1
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Well in that case... Anyone want to trade their FVF for about 100g worth of my SL? (totally serious though...)

please delete this thread! oh and smack Jeff on the back of the head!!! What are you thinking man? FVF is hard enough to find and than you post this? It is good but I only smoke it on such rare occasions since I only have 1 tin and it was aged for many years. Im down to 1 oz in a jar. so basically I have smoked 1/2 oz in 5 months.(whats that like 1 bowl a month?) *%^%*^$$* hoarders! ok I feel better and nice review.
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

I totally agree, this is currently my favorite VA, although what I have smoked is fairly fresh, I have a bit with about 7 months and am trying to wait for that batch to hit a year before cracking the jar open.

I am mean aren't I?

Seriously, this stuff rocks. I was lucky enough to start stocking up before it became scarce, now I have enough to get me through the dry spell (hopefully). This is one of those that will probably be mind-blowing after a few years, kinda like that Stoney stuff

The only downside to it is the widely varying thickness of the flakes, especially in bulk form. I greatly prefer the thinner cut flakes, but am more than willing to suffer through the thicker ones too.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

have to agree with you bout FVF jeff, soo yummy. Lovely fruit notes, creamy. And I'm sitting on a pound, fast approaching a year. But I have spotted any crystals yet *bummed*
    also have 4 tins from when the last shipment made it to my local B&M heheh
    and no I'm not gonna share....tough
    trou

I like it a lot and I have almost twelve
    pounds of it in my stash, but it's prolly
    only my fifth favorite Virginia.
    I like HOTW, Hamborger Veermaster,
    Union Square, and Opening Night better.
    THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

Jeff! You are so correct and I will go a step further; I even like the thick flakes. I dry these thick flakes out a little longer than normal, fold and stuff the bottom half of one of my big pipes, rub out the baccy for the top half and sit back with some brew in one hand and my pipe in the other; I have found the "promised land".

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    I like it a lot and I have almost twelve
    pounds of it in my stash...
    Geez and I thought I was bad with just over 5lbs socked away! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/RJPuffs

And yes, +1 to Jeff and the Moo, this is something in my "I can't live without it" category. Its just ... right!
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --
    Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.

Jeez 12 pounds! I have like 1 pound 10 oz. I would like to have maybe 5 pounds put away for a rainy day. Hopefully the stuff pops up at some point.

You know, I am not that huge a VA fan. Then again, I've mostly smoked fresh VA and by all accounts it seems to be at its best after 6mo to a year of aging (so the jury is out for a while I guess). That said, FVF is by far my favorite VA I've tried and a darned good tobacco overall. I definitely plan to buy some when it becomes available again, if I have any budget left after I stock up on SG St. James Flake which I absolutely love (add some perique to a VA and it becomes much more interesting- I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to have the patience to age a VAPer long enough to really get the full effect). Of course, that's if I can get either when SG next becomes available since I now have to deal with that stupid MD law as well as general availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff10236 View Post
    I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to have the patience to age a VAPer long enough to really get the full effect.
    You don't need patience; you just need to have
    more than you can smoke while your stash ages.

Some of my tobacco will be over twenty years
    old by the time I smoke it (if I live long enough).
    THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

CWL

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    ..... to tempt those of you who don't have it.....

In my mind this is just the best straight virginia out there. It's perfect in every way. Rubbed out or folded and stuffed, it's delicious either way. This is one of the creamiest tobaccos I've ever had, very smooth. Although it's full-flavored, it doesn't seem full-bodied to me. I don't notice any nicotine kick at all. It smokes perfectly to the bottom if dried out properly, ages extremely well (it seems to improve with as little as 6 months), is fairly cheap when available & tastes amazing. What's not to like?
    So Jeff, which do you smoke more of, 1792 or FVF? Just curious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast