Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Sam Gawith - Sam's Flake

This is a discussion on Sam Gawith - Sam's Flake within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Alright guys, I'm still a complete noob at smoking pipe, but I do have a good cigar background. Since I ...

Sam Gawith - Sam's Flake

Alright guys, I'm still a complete noob at smoking pipe, but I do have a good cigar background.

Since I started working at a cigar and pipe shop, I've started smoking pipe a bit.

We had a tin of Sam's Flake in the display cabinet that is a few years old. I decided to buy it today for $10 with my discount.

I opened it up and it had a bit of sugar crystallization on it and I was pleasantly greeted with a rich smell of candied fig.

This is my first time smoking flake so I chose to do the fold and a bit of a twisting that I saw on youtube.

It fit a bit snug in the pipe but had a good draw.

Upon lighting I was surprised to get a bit of sweetness that i originally smelled. The tobacco is nice and rich. After tamping it down I started to get a good bit of peppery notes. I normally enjoy that in a cigar, and it was much more pronounced through the pipe.

The flavor is staying fairly consistent, with the rich sweetness, but the pepper notes are coming and going.

So far the smoke is cool and dry at about 3/4 though the bowl. The draw is still nice and easy.

I think this may be my new favorite smoke!

-Scott

Don Yeyo Cigars, Dearborn, MI
    http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25414&dateline=129929  7715

Re: Sam Gawith - Sam's Flake

Scott
    Thanks for the review......
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

Quote Originally Posted by asmartbull View Post
    Scott
    Thanks for the review......
    Thanks. It is my first pipe tobacco review so hopefully I did alright. It was the first tobacco that really had some "wow" factor for me so I figured I'd share.
    http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25414&dateline=129929  7715

Thanks for the review. I just got two tins of this in this week, but I've never tried it. I'm at the point now where no new tins are being opened at the moment (too many open in jars already), so by the time I get around to it, they'll have some age like your tin did.

I only wish I could have gotten them for $10. That's a nice perk!

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Thanks for the review. I just got two tins of this in this week, but I've never tried it. I'm at the point now where no new tins are being opened at the moment (too many open in jars already), so by the time I get around to it, they'll have some age like your tin did.

I only wish I could have gotten them for $10. That's a nice perk!
    What is the going rate on the tins? We have Sam Gawith tins priced at $14.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    What is the going rate on the tins? We have Sam Gawith tins priced at $14.
    Actually, your right, they're right about $10 online, but not with age on them. I've bought some aged tins online recently and paid about 2 to 3 times that much.