Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

McClelland - Holiday Spirit

This is a discussion on McClelland - Holiday Spirit within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; ...

Leading Puffer Fish

McClelland - Holiday Spirit

My thoughts on McClelland’s Holiday Spirit 2010 Edition.

I know it may be a little early for a review of a holiday blend, but I figured since McClelland’s 2011 holiday blends just went up on smokingpipes.com last week it would be OK.

Tin description:
    This mild, smooth blend of Burley, Virginia, and Cavendish tobaccos is flavored with dark rum, pecan, and cocoa. It brings a warm glow to the coldest winter day. The aroma of a favorite holiday confection wafts from the bowl bringing pipe smoking contentment.

In the Tin
    This stuff smells wonderful! I can smell the pecans and rum in the tin aroma, and it smells good enough to eat. The tobacco is a brown and black confetti of tobacco goodness. The tobacco is a little moist out of the tin, and could benefit from a little drying time to get it to your preferred smoking condition.

The Burn
    I smoked this straight out of the tin, and after letting in dry a little, and it let well with only one or two charring lights necessary. Even straight out of the tin this stuff burned exceptionally well, I only needed to relight once in about 50% of my smokes. I have smoked this in both briars and cobs, in a bent briar I did find that I needed to run a pipe cleaner through the pipe once to alleviate some gurgle, in the cob it burned cleanly with no gurgle. This stuff burns well, not as well as a pure uncased tobacco, but this burns just as good as any other aromatic. The only downside to this was the end where the last few pieces of tobacco did not want to burn. There was also a minor amount of goop in the bottom of my bent briar after the smoke.

The Smoke
    Sweet and a little salty, interesting I know but it works, really well. I love the way this tobacco tastes, there is no real tobacco taste, so if that is what you are looking for look elsewhere, but if you want a pleasant, sweet, and tasty smoke, this could be the stuff for you. I can taste the sweet dark rum in this smoke, and I would bet the saltiness I taste comes from the pecan flavoring. This gives a cool smoke, and I could not get it to bite, which is good news because this stuff tastes so good it can make you want to smoke faster than you should.

The Aroma
    Again this stuff smells great, I think one of my friends said it best when he said “that smells freakin awesome”.

The Bottom Line
    This is a great aromatic tobacco. My tin was from the 2010 stock, and I hope this blend doesn’t change much from year to year because I plan on keeping this around. This is a great blend for both the smoker and those around the smoker, it smells great, and tastes even better. This tobacco has quickly jumped to one of my top 3 favorite aromatic tobaccos.

Full grown Puffer Fish gentimmy's Avatar

Re: McClelland - Holiday Spirit

well that settles it...I was contemplating a tin and it looks like I'll be pulling the trigger

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by gentimmy View Post
    well that settles it...I was contemplating a tin and it looks like I'll be pulling the trigger
    Do it, its good stuff... I dont think the blend changes that much if at all from year to year because it looks like the write-up on the tin is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    Do it, its good stuff... I dont think the blend changes that much if at all from year to year because it looks like the write-up on the tin is the same.
    2nd this: Don't believe the blend/topping change year-to-year. At least they didn't in the last few years.

I'm not an aero smoker, generally. They're just to cloying for me. But I've smoked Holiday Spirit on Christmas morning for the last two years, and I plan to buy a tin each Winter from here on out.

Fans of Trout Stream, Best in Show, and other generally sweet aromatics should give this one a try.

Any fellow purists who can't bring themselves to order a goopy aero can feel free to PM me next Fall--I'll gladly share a Christmas bowl-full or -two.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

mmmmmmmm, love the Christmas Cheer and now it looks like I'll have to try the Holiday Spirit!

Thanks for a great and insightful review!

You guys nailed this review. My 2010 tin was actually the very first tin I smoked from start to finish. I plan on this being a Christmas tradition as well. Along with the CC. Good stuff it certainly is.
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

Maturing Puffer Fish BloodyCactus's Avatar

I picked up two tins from smokingpipes.com and wow, its nice but dang if its not wet. I dont think I let my first bowl dry out enough and it was not until half way through I guess that it had dried out sufficiently to smoke really nice, but it was hard to start going.

thanks for the heads up nick!
    -- Stu :: Pipe Newbie :: Blue Ridge VA --

Young Fish

Great. Another McClelland I can choose. Thank you.

Just got my Christmas Cheer 2011 today , looks like next order will include some Holiday Spirit...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

I just got my tin of Holiday Spirit 2010 in today...looking forward to giving it a try (when things cool off) and then it will be on to the 2011!!!

Thanks for the review...
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook