Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: Dunhill's Nightcap

This is a discussion on Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: Dunhill's Nightcap within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Wow, it's May already... How time flies. Since it is May, that means that it is time to review yet ...

Leading Puffer Fish

Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: Dunhill's Nightcap

Wow, it's May already... How time flies. Since it is May, that means that it is time to review yet another tobacco, up this month is Dunhill's Nightcap. So, if you haven't yet, open up those tins and fire some up! Then when you are ready post your thoughts, comments, and reviews here in this thread.

I can't wait to see what everyone has to say.

Happy Puffing!
    Join us for the Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: May's blend is Dunhill's Nightcap. Post reviews and join the discussion here.

Re: Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: Dunhill's Nightcap

Set the WABAC machine to 1962. A first yearman toils into early morning over tomes of substantial heft and formidable content. Term papers will soon be due and the parties have been numerous. The midnight oil burns, along with bowl after bowl of Nightcap to keep the lids aloft for cramming. The Balkan Sobranie would have sufficed earlier, but as the hours wear on, more nicotine is required to stay alert.

And it's still great stuff, even though the Latakia is now Cyprian instead of Syrian and who-knows-what-else has changed. It still tastes as close to how I remember it as my memory hardware supports. In days of yore, I wasn't versed in nicotine content of different tobaccos, but I knew what I liked and those tobaccos are generally rated medium and strong, rather than mild, these days. Quite frankly, nicotine content never came up until I started posting to these forums and found tobakrevs and heard that people actually had nicotine overloads. Not that I wasn't aware that it could happen, what with stories of dads forcing kids to smoke multiple packs of cigarettes non-stop until they puked as punishment for smoking, it just wasn't something that happened in the normal course of events. (Speaking of which, my first ever nicotine overload came with Happy Bogie a while ago.) For whatever reason, Nightcap has this scary high nicotine aura about it, one of the "Strong" tobaccos on tobakrevs, but it's no Royal Yacht or Irish Flake, which have the same rating.

The next good thing about Nightcap is the Latakia level. If you are going to smoke Latakia, you should have enough of it in there to make people complain about the smell, but not much more, and Nightcap has the perfect amount for me. I haven't cared a lot for other Latakia blends I've smoked recently. Frog Morton is a very fine smoke, but it doesn't stink up a room like Nightcap. Maybe it's the perique, "...added to enhance the bouquet." I never think of perique having a room note, but I suppose that could add to Nightcap's ambiance. Maybe Latakia alone doesn't smell that bad?

I really love Nightcap, I really do, but if I smoked it like I did in college, my domicile would smell like I was heating from an open fire pit in the living room. I will definitely be ordering some more, though. For my money, it's tied with Royal Yacht as my favorite Dunhill.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Leading Puffer Fish

Wow, that was fast Jim, now you have me thinking I should have placed an order for some... The reason I didn't is because I'm not sure it is what I am looking for in a English style tobacco... So here are a few follow up questions for you... In regards to the Latakia content, where is it in the spectrum is it high like in Northwoods, Pirate Kake, Frog Morton... etc or is it fairly low/ well balanced with the other content tobaccos? Also, have you (or anyone) tried the Altadis Nightcap match? I bought a couple ounces of it a few years ago and never got around to trying it and I was wondering how it compares... Maybe I should open up the jar of it and test it out...
    Join us for the Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: May's blend is Dunhill's Nightcap. Post reviews and join the discussion here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    Wow, that was fast Jim, now you have me thinking I should have placed an order for some... The reason I didn't is because I'm not sure it is what I am looking for in a English style tobacco... So here are a few follow up questions for you... In regards to the Latakia content, where is it in the spectrum is it high like in Northwoods, Pirate Kake, Frog Morton... etc or is it fairly low/ well balanced with the other content tobaccos? Also, have you (or anyone) tried the Altadis Nightcap match? I bought a couple ounces of it a few years ago and never got around to trying it and I was wondering how it compares... Maybe I should open up the jar of it and test it out...
    A comparison with Altadis would be interesting, but I'm betting on more PG. I've never had a cloned Nightcap, so I have no idea. I'm trying to remember what Northwoods is like. Somewhere I have some, but...I think Northwoods has that Cavendish thing going, so I don't like it as much. Latakia content? Not sure...maybe Nightcap has slightly less. I read somewhere that Nightcap is 40% Latakia, but again, I don't really know. I'll guess 35%, just to leave room for the other ingredients. Enough for me, anyhow. As for Frog Morton, like Northwoods it doesn't have any perique, so it's not the same either, and neither Northwoods nor Frog Morton have as much nicotine as Nightcap. I've never had any, but Frog Morton on the Bayou looks to be quite similar to Nightcap. There's just enough perique in Nightcap to be a little snorky, but it's not overpowering perique at all -- just enough to be pleasant and possibly detract from the room note.
    Last edited by freestoke; 05-02-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    A comparison with Altadis would be interesting, but I'm betting on more PG. I've never had a cloned Nightcap, so I have no idea. I'm trying to remember what Northwoods is like. Somewhere I have some, but...I think Northwoods has that Cavendish thing going, so I don't like it as much. Latakia content? Not sure...maybe Nightcap has slightly less. I read somewhere that Nightcap is 40% Latakia, but again, I don't really know. I'll guess 35%, just to leave room for the other ingredients. Enough for me, anyhow. As for Frog Morton, like Northwoods it doesn't have any perique, so it's not the same either, and neither Northwoods nor Frog Morton have as much nicotine as Nightcap. I've never had any, but Frog Morton on the Bayou looks to be quite similar. There's just enough perique in Nightcap to be a little snorky, but it's not overpowering perique at all -- just enough to be pleasant and possibly detract from the room note.
    Hmm, yeah I dont really like super heavy Latakia blends but this doesn't sound too bad. Maybe I will break open that jar of the cloned stuff and try it out...

I purchased my tin of Nightcap 11/9/11, and opened it 4/22/12.

I suppose it's mostly because I just haven't tried that many, but latakia-heavy blends just taste like latakia to me. There's little complexity, just latakia. Someone on tobaccoreviews wrote that, for him, latakia seems to create "a flavor wall so that nothing else gets through" and that seems pretty accurate for me as well. Maybe I'll be able to pick up more flavors after I smoke more of these kind of blends. I do enjoy the taste of latakia, I just somehow haven't gotten around to smoking many latakia-heavy blends.

And that's what I get with Nightcap. LATAKIA!!!!! It's not sweet (though I occasionally pick up a slightly sweetish note), but not astringent either. Just smoky-earthy-latakia. I read somewhere that there's perique in it....I do pick up a peppery spice on retrohale, so I believe it; but I don't really taste perique per se. I really can't say much else about the flavor experience...it basically just tastes like latakia with a little pepper to me. I know that isn't much, and it sounds boring and one dimensional, but it's actually quite good IF you enjoy the taste of latakia. Hate latakia? Stay away.

I tried a bowl right out of the tin, and found it good...put it in a jar and came back to it a week later and found it to taste even better. I don't know why some blends do that...they just do, and Nightcap is one of them.

It is a ribbon cut, good moisture level, about equal portions of black and dark brown with a few light brown pieces mixed in. It is well behaved in the pipe, requiring an average number of relights.

Room note - Are you kidding? It's latakia. It stinks. It's supposed to stink.

Strength - Nightcap seems to have a reputation for being strong. Compared to something like Captain Black, I guess it is. I found it satisfying without being really strong. At the end of a long day at work yesterday, I had two medium-ish bowls back to back, and at the end I could tell I was nice and relaxed....but no light headedness, dizziness, nausea or any other adverse effects. I'd call it medium-strong. More nicotine than some, but not anywhere near the powerhouses like Royal Yacht or the GH ropes. To me, it's the perfect strength balance.

Good good stuff. I'll be buying more.

I'm more latakia-curious now, too. I have some Billy Bud cellared that I remember enjoying a lot, and some Sterling Tavern that I remember liking a lot but not really loving, so I may break into those sooner rather than later. Any recommendations for a blend with an even bigger and bolder latakia presence?
    Last edited by gahdzila; 05-02-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    Any recommendations for a blend with an even bigger and bolder latakia presence?
    Nice review. You might want to give pirate kake (C&D) a try, it has way too much Latakia for my taste but if you love Latakia you may enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    Nice review. You might want to give pirate kake (C&D) a try, it has way too much Latakia for my taste but if you love Latakia you may enjoy it.
    Thanks for the recommendation, Nick! A cake sounds fun (I've actually never tried one), and C&D is on sale this month at P&C! The reviews at tobaccoreviews sound like I should enjoy it!

Being new to pipe smoking, let me say that I'll now be scouring all the PMTR threads! Jim, you're a tobacco poet!

Thanks to our good BOTL Gahdzilla I was prepped and ready for this month's tobacco. I've only smoked Dunhill's Early Morning thus far, and have been looking forward to giving it a shot - variety being the spice of life and all that. Early Morning reminded me of Squadron Leader in my small pipe tobacco lexicon, and was an okay smoke although I like SL better.

Nightcap is a completely different animal. Opening my package of nightcap resulted in a latakia assault on my schnoz. The tobacco is well mixed and looks nice, but I get not much other than the latakia nose from it. It packs very well (although this is becoming less notable with experience) and lit easily enough. I did note that this tobacco seems to like a looser pack, if that makes sense.

Firing up Nightcap doesn't lead to any surprises. This is a latakia pipe tobacco, although probably not (in my experience anyway) what one would term a latakia bomb. Initially there isn't much else going on here though, so after stoking things I let it slow wayyyyyy dowwnnnnnnn.

Still mostly latakia and the occasional bit of sweetness coming up to say hi. When I say occasional, I mean occasional - kind of like Uni Flake's plum note showing itself, although less so. Retrohaling didn't do much here either - pretty much the same campfire note with the occasional bit of sweet. As I made my way down through the bowl the perique showed up with a bit of pepper, which was a welcome change. The tobacco burns down to the bottom of the bowl with only a flake here and there left to burn.

Overall I didn't dislike Nightcap, but I wasn't blown away either. I was left wanting for a bit of sweetness to show more often - it seems like a bit more VA would be nice. I also noted that while reviews elsewhere - notably tobaccoreviews.com - list this as a strong nic tobacco, I wouldn't put it anywhere in that range. Maybe that is the cigar guy in me, but there you have it. I don't smoke the pipe (or cigars) for the nic anyway, so that wasn't a disappointment. I think that I like the Early Morning offering a bit better between the two though.

I do have one question related to the nic. It would seem that one would want for more of it in the morning and less at night, so a "nightcap" should be mild while an Early Morning should be medium or strong. Seems odd.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

I received a half ounce sample of Nightcap from John (indigosmoke) back around the time that Dunhill was reappearing in the U.S., smoked a couple of bowls, and decided it just wasn't for me and jarred it up to be forgotten. This looked like a good time to find the jar and revisit this blend. So, after a bit of plundering and grabbing my 2011 Puff Meer (what else for this?), I was ready for the second try.

The first thing I noticed about Nightcap was it had mellowed considerably during it's rest in the cabinet. Where it was once a tongue burning latakia demon, it was now a pleasant smoke, with the orientals shining through, and even an indication (I wouldn't call it an out-and-out “taste) of the perique. More complexity, less pain. Sounds like a good start!

The nicotine kick isn't what I remember, although still strong for this type of blend. That could just me changing over time rather than the tobacco, though. Mind you, I'm not saying there's no nicotine kick, but the first time around, the name was dead on; I wouldn't have dared smoke it unless I was about to crash. Now I can smoke it the evening as well.

The orientals in the mix are nice and savory, and now that the latakia doesn't completely dominate, they really make this an enjoyable mix.

I'd give this three out of four stars; it may not become a 'dominant player' in my cellar, but you can bet three more tins will be showing up at my doorstep in the near future. Quite a surprise after my first experience with this one!

It just goes to show you: if someone sends you a sample and you don't like it, don't pitch it, put it away for another try later...after all, the blend will change, and so will you. You never know; your next favorite could come out of your rejects!
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    You never know; your next favorite could come out of your rejects!
    Now there's an observation for you.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Zeabed's Avatar

I received a tin of Nightcap from Spain in 2009 and may have been tinned several years prior to that. I smoked some of it, jarred the rest and finally tried it again recently. I still loved it and, although the nicotine level remains a bit above my comfort zone, I continue to smoke it albeit sparingly and carefully. Ironically, Nightcap is a morning smoke for me. I haven't tried any nc from my newer tins, but given this experience I will let them sit for as long as possible before I try those.
    I sure like those French fried taters. Mmm jhmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    I do have one question related to the nic. It would seem that one would want for more of it in the morning and less at night, so a "nightcap" should be mild while an Early Morning should be medium or strong. Seems odd.
    I think this is a personal opinion thing. I personally like to start with the light, low nic blends in the morning - maybe with a good cup of tea. In the morning I'm mainly looking for something not so heavy that it's going to slow me down. I'm not much of a breakfast person, and if I were to smoke a nic bomb in the morning on an empty stomach I would feel a bit off (a bit of a buzz and an upset stomach) for a few hours. Also I like a nice light blend that doesn't make me do too much thinking after I just woke up. At night, on the other hand, I have a full stomach from supper and can handle the strongest of blends without much trouble. Also, this is when I like to just sit and ponder a nice full/complex blend - especially on a nice clear night under the stars.

As for Nightcap - I haven't had the pleasure of trying it yet, but it sounds like I'd really enjoy it. I'd love to compare the classic to the current version of it and see how it has evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    As a former cigarette smoker, me and ole Mr. Nicotine still have a close relationship. I don't need a super big nicotine bump in the morning, but I do need some. Like Tim, I often don't eat breakfast either, so I wouldn't want Happy Bogie when I first roll out of the bed . It's more of a flavor thing for me...just like I wouldn't want hot wings for breakfast or a bowl of corn flakes for dinner. I've had Nightcap in the LATE morning and early afternoon, and it's a fine smoke for that time, and pairs great with a cup of coffee, but I like something simple and clean and a little sweet for my first pipe of the day (Prince Albert is my current fav).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast