Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Peterson's Hyde Park

This is a discussion on Peterson's Hyde Park within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hyde Park is a strange duck. It is nothing like I expected from the reviews I have read. When you ...

Peterson's Hyde Park

Hyde Park is a strange duck. It is nothing like I expected from the reviews I have read. When you open the tin you are greeted by an attractive broken flake, just barely broken. The tin note is slightly sweet and the tobacco smells top notch. It needs to be rubbed out a little before you load the pipe.
    The surprise comes when you light it up. It is similar to another tobacco I have smoked...Sugar Barrel. Not exactly, but the similarities are greater than the differences. It is more Virginia forward and less Burley nutty than Sugar Barrel. The topping is a little sweeter and there is a slight rum presence, but it is Sugar Barrel's grown up, more sophisticated cousin.
    I went back and read the reviews on tobaccoreviews.com and wondered if I was smoking the same tobacco they were writing about, or even if the different reviewers might each have received a different tobacco. Some said it is weak as water, others said it is right up there with Irish Flake. I found it started mild and built to medium. Many reviewers commented on the strong Lakeland topping. I found not even a whisper of Lakeland. I guess the best way to find out what a tobacco is like is to smoke it
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Zeabed's Avatar

Re: Peterson's Hyde Park

Thank you for the great review Nachman. I like Sugar Barrel so that gives me a frame of reference all the better to appreciate your take on this Pete blend.
    I sure like those French fried taters. Mmm jhmm.