Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

McCarter Pipes

This is a discussion on McCarter Pipes within the Pipe Retailer Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I went and checked out your page and I have a case of pipe envy. Those are beautiful and hopefully ...

Re: McCarter Pipes

I went and checked out your page and I have a case of pipe envy. Those are beautiful and hopefully things go well and I'll be making a purchase early next year.

Keep up the great work.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortFuse View Post
    I went and checked out your page and I have a case of pipe envy. Those are beautiful and hopefully things go well and I'll be making a purchase early next year.

Keep up the great work.
    Cool. Appreciate the feedback.

I see you are currently deployed. I'd be happy to work out a discount and some cheap shipping options as a way to say "thanks".

Contact me anytime.
    Dave

Halloween pipe here (well, started on Halloween night anyway. . .).
    3/4 bent, partially rusticated, black/yellow/black contrast stains.
    The rustication covers all the straight grains, leaving nothing but Birdseye. Green/Orange/Black spooky bullseye.
    There's some neat work on the stem (it's not round, kind of oval with sharp alien lines).
    And the bowl itself is impossibly deep (5/8" bit, 1 1/2" deep)

Looks way better in person. . .I kept a cool, unsettling green tinge in the stain which doesn't come through on my (very) amateur photography setup.
    Still, worth sharing even these discolored pics, I hope.

Many more to come in the next week, including some more rusticated pipes and a first "McCarter Natural" (which is a lovely, thin shanked freehand with Plateau top that I didn't want to ruin with dye. . .you'll see. . .it's awesome!)

Anywho, happy belated Halloween, everyone!
    Last edited by CaptainEnormous; 11-05-2011 at 01:21 AM.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

That is a very cool looking pipe Dave (me wantee must resist). Finally noticed your signature/makers mark on my pipe tonight. I've looked at it hundreds of times and never noticed.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewdk View Post
    That is a very cool looking pipe Dave (me wantee must resist). Finally noticed your signature/makers mark on my pipe tonight. I've looked at it hundreds of times and never noticed.
    Hey, Andrew. Good to hear from you!
    I have a couple of stamps: The usual one reads "McCarter (over) Hand Made" in a font I like. The other, which works best on flatter/wider surfaces, is a tuna line-drawing with writing in the center.
    Both are small, and I press them by hand into finished pipes so they tend to be unassuming.

In other news. . .I bought a "real" camera today. Assuming I can figure out how to use it, shots of my pipes going forward should have more light and truer color.

I took a couple test-photos tonight of the "natural" finish pipe mentioned earlier:

Only the stem and rim are polished. The briar is just super-finely sanded (600+ grit). Darkening in places on the plateau top is from the natural patina that aged brair acquires (the blocks I work from are quite old, so the outer surface is all dark when I begin. . .in the case of plateau cuts, there's also a lot of bark attached--All I did for the rim of this pipe was remove all that bark, so the nobs of briar that were exposed to air are brownish while those protected by the bark are pale white.

Dave
    This Winter I will be spending quite a bit of time in Maine.
    Would love to stop by and visit..
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

You do some amazing work Dave. I will be following your posts with bated breath.

Quote Originally Posted by HWiebe View Post
    You do some amazing work Dave. I will be following your posts with bated breath.
    Thanks!
    I've been following your posts as well.
    I'm jealous of your sandblast finishes! Beautiful and very tasteful.
    I don't have a blasting setup. . .someday though.
    Anywho, thanks for the post. Great to have a fellow Puff member crafting pipes!
    Best,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEnormous View Post

I took a couple test-photos tonight of the "natural" finish pipe mentioned earlier:

Only the stem and rim are polished. The briar is just super-finely sanded (600+ grit). Darkening in places on the plateau top is from the natural patina that aged brair acquires (the blocks I work from are quite old, so the outer surface is all dark when I begin. . .in the case of plateau cuts, there's also a lot of bark attached--All I did for the rim of this pipe was remove all that bark, so the nobs of briar that were exposed to air are brownish while those protected by the bark are pale white.

This one is now mine, YAY!

I now have two of Dave's pipes and they both are works of art that just so happen to smoke impeccably well! If you don't have a McCarter Pipe yet, get one!

Thanks for the bump, Dan!
    I can't wait to see how the "natural" colors over time. . .It was shaped from a beautiful piece of aged, Grecian Plateau briar (courtesy of Tim West. . .who is my go-to source for everything).

To those following this thread, and/or my site, first off: Thank You!
    Secondly: I haven't posted anything new in a while because everything I've made since November has been special orders.
    I have one more Custom lined up for late January. But I promise some new, available pipes, in the next couple weeks. Both posted on my site and this thread.

Merry Christmas, Puff!
    Dave

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    This one is now mine, YAY!

I now have two of Dave's pipes and they both are works of art that just so happen to smoke impeccably well! If you don't have a McCarter Pipe yet, get one!
    +1 to that, lovely pipes made with true craftsmanship and attention to detail. I have one and plan on getting probably two next year.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

Not a proper update, but I finally got around to building a "January 2012" album on my site. . .so far, just two pipes listed. Both were spoken for before I even had time to make them.
    Should a couple new "for sale" pipes there by the end of the weekend.

Also, my new camera managed a pic of my fish-stamp (I have a plain text stamp, and this line-drawing one. . .which only works with flat-ish sufaces):

Thanks again to all my Puff friends!

Dave

p.s. Anyone going to the Chicago Pipe Show? I just booked my travel and table. . .PM me if you'll be there!

I like the stamp Dave!

I'd love to go to the Chicago Pipe Show. Since I travel there for business a few times per year anyway, maybe I can arrange a trip to coincide with the show? I'll let you know...

Who doesn't love Birdseye Grain?

With So much "to do" about straight grain pipes. . .I'll think the cross-grain/birdseye are just as cool.

Anywho, added a few pipes to my site tonight.

Two are "Seconds", in this case the drilling is off by a millimeter or two. They'll smoke perfectly, guaranteed. But I want to keep standards high so. . .

The pic I'm posting is drilled perfectly. Classic, cross-grained 1/4 bent form.

Happy NFL Playoffs everyone!

Best,
    Dave

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Hannibal's Avatar

So is everything on your site up to date as of the present time??? If so I should be contacting you later tonight......
    My Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/hannibal
    Proud to have served 1988-2000 U.S. Army!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast