Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Pipe bomb a newbie - get a new pipe!

This is a discussion on Pipe bomb a newbie - get a new pipe! within the Pipe & Tobacco Bombs forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Tom beat me to it, but I was going to recommend you start with the Sugar Barrel or the Billy ...

Re: Pipe bomb a newbie - get a new pipe!

Tom beat me to it, but I was going to recommend you start with the Sugar Barrel or the Billy Budd, they should both be easy to pack. There are lots of opinions and techniques for filling a bowl, but I started this way: youtube pipesmagazine - Bing Videos

The key is to just relax and go with your gut. There are techniques that will improve your smoking over time, but for now just have fun.

edit: dang, he beat me to it again!

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    edit: dang, he beat me to it again!
    I'm sneaky like that. Plus, I have a free period right now.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Oldmso54's Avatar

Ok - another question: I read in the "101" stuff that they recommended letting the pipe rest a couple days in between smokes?? Did I misread something or is that in fact true??

I ain't ! I'm just a little large for my size!

I usually try to give mine 24 hours. The briar absorbs moisture and needs time to dry. If you plan on smoking more frequently, a corncob makes a good second pipe for very little money. There are, of course, guys who don't rest their pipes, and they love them too. Just know that, over time, your smoke will grow ever more moist and eventually sour. There are pipe sweeteners if that happens.

This is turning out just the way I had hoped. Excellent bombs. Love the banter!

Good job gents!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmso54 View Post
    Ok - another question: I read in the "101" stuff that they recommended letting the pipe rest a couple days in between smokes?? Did I misread something or is that in fact true??
    Yep, you need to let them rest (24 hours like Tom said), so I guess more pipes are in your future!! Just look at what happened to Hannibal...

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    Order placed & shipping direct to the recipient.

Corn Cob Missouri Pride mmcc25 1
    Pipe - Straight
    Pipe Nails (pack of 5) PTL10 1
    BJ Long's Medium Pipe pc03 1
    Cleaners (bundle)
    Scottys Bulk Blends - bptscot01 1
    Butternut Burley
    Orlik Golden Sliced (50g tptorl03 1
    tin)
    McClelland Tin - Virginia tptmcc73 1
    Woods (50g)
    Cornell & Diehl Tin - tptcnd37 1
    Purple Cow (2oz.)
    ...and it too landed.

I'm pretty sure I didn't even post in this thread until the ordinances were in the air. Therefore, this was a complete surprise.
    First and foremost, thanks so much Warren! The aromas are absolutely amazing. The last pipe I had in my mouth was a Dr Grabow filled with Captain Black circa 1979 in college. All I remember was the tongue bite LOL.

This will be a fun slope to negotiate and I'm looking forward to learning the ropes and nuances of the piper side. I don't even know enough to ask any questions yet so I'll surf around, read...and hopefully soak in an education.

Again, thanks for your generosity and also to Hekthor for a fun contest to watch unfold. Being a recipient was icing on the cake.

Here's evidence of the carnage before the batteries puked:

Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

More than enough to keep you interested until Pipe Acquisition Disorder and Tobacco Acquisition Disorder set in. Loving these bombs, fellas.

That's a sweet hit! Good job Warren. Hope you enjoy the pipe side Gregg!

Hekthor - Im enjoying my FIRST EVER pipe right now as I type - not sure I"ve done everything right but I just wanted to thank you for the thread and the opportunity to experience pipe smoking! THANKS Hekthor!!

Another video for any newbies on how to fill by our very own KarateKyle: http://m.youtube.com/?rdm=4ozmbjsh4&...lay=True&gl=US

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Hannibal's Avatar

Hekthor - Im enjoying my FIRST EVER pipe right now as I type - not sure I"ve done everything right but I just wanted to thank you for the thread and the opportunity to experience pipe smoking! THANKS Hekthor!!
    So your thoughts sir??
    My Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/hannibal
    Proud to have served 1988-2000 U.S. Army!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    So your thoughts sir??
    So far so good although I do seem to be rilighting a lot - maybe didnt pack it tight enough??

So far so good although I do seem to be rilighting a lot - maybe didnt pack it tight enough??
    All newbies relight a lot. A lot of experienced smokers relight a lot. It just takes practice (if you want to get good at not relighting, which isn't a requirement).

So, which tobacco did you decide to start with?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast