Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Finally got a Dunhill!

This is a discussion on Finally got a Dunhill! within the Pipe & Tobacco Bombs forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Oh my gosh, this is just too awesome! I finally added a Dunhill to my collection, all thanks to Brian/Desertlifter! ...

Finally got a Dunhill!

Oh my gosh, this is just too awesome! I finally added a Dunhill to my collection, all thanks to Brian/Desertlifter! A week or two ago I sent him a tin of Fusilier's Rations with the understanding that when he found something he wanted to send back in trade, he was free to do so. Here's what he hit me back with!

First, Brian crafted this artisinal drawing of a Great Northwestern Squid smoking a pipe!

Then, a tin of Dunhill Nightcap (which is a wonderful tobacco, one of my favorites) and a heaping helping of Brian's local Christmas Blend from Lil' Brown!

Brian and I have spoken before about how smitten I am with the Dunhill Cumberlands, but that there's no way I - and, more importantly, my wife - can justify the cost. Well, in the note Brian included he said that he was perusing the estate section of eBay and he found this un-smoked beauty for a song, and he had to pass along to me!!!

He attached one of the auction photos of the pipe bag that was provided by the seller. As you can see, I tore the box open in my excitement!

Inside the box was the official Dunhill packaging material! I can tell because it's Genuine Egyptian Paper, and it makes sense that Dunhill would use something so pricey because it's the little details that count!

I opened the envelope and, in all its glory, is the finest specimen of Dunhill I've ever laid my eyes on! And it's a Cumberland Billiard, just what I wanted!

Unfortunately, neither the seller, Brian or I are able to date the pipe. I'm guessing it's early-40s, but it might be mid-to-late-40s. Below is a closeup of the markings, can any of you help us figure out just how old this is? In case my cellphone pics are unclear, Dunhill is enclosed in a circle (it looks stamped, not hand-carved; I'm not sure if that helps eliminate certain years) and it also says Hecho en England - so we know it's an authentic piece of Royal Smokery!

I do have to say, this pipe just exudes British Class. The lines and curves are subtle yet restrained, the finish is remarkable, and it goes without saying that it has the best draw of any of my pipes.

Brian, I don't know what to say except Thank You! I can't repay you, obviously - this is just too great a gift. Woo-hoo, Christmas came early to the szyzk household!
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Re: Finally got a Dunhill!

I was really worried that it would make it there - almost insured it because of the value of the pipe. Glad it made it there safe - enjoy!
    Last edited by Desertlifter; 12-17-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

MUHAHAHAHA great bomb! Funny!
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

That is just pure awesomeness. Well done Brian!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader ouirknotamuzd's Avatar

rumour has it that Queen Whatshername smokes a Done Hill Cumberbun just like that one

great job, Brian....couldn't have happened to a classier guy

smoke it in good health, olde chappe

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes sweater88's Avatar

that is brilliant. Great job Brian!
    "Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets"-----Ron Swanson

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Very classy! Nice job Brian.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Quote Originally Posted by szyzk View Post
    I do have to say, this pipe just exudes British Class. The lines and curves are subtle yet restrained, the finish is remarkable, and it goes without saying that it has the best draw of any of my pipes.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I could be wrong, but I think the dash between 'done' and 'hill' actually puts it in the pre-war period, doesn't it? I'm thinking '38 or so?
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    I was really worried that it would make it there - almost insured it because of the value of the pipe. Glad it made it there safe - enjoy!
    Probably best that you didn't. As the saying more or less goes, if you want something stolen, set three men to guard it.

That calligraphic lettering on the stem, the attention to detail -- marvelous.

Young Puffer Fish

What a pipe!
    Now the real question, do you smoke it or keep it for the resale a few years down the line? These things don't go down in value over time, you know!

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Priceless!!
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgreggor57 View Post
    Priceless!!
    The ones crafted by Pedro Done-hill himself, "Hecho en England", command the highest prices in estate auctions. Unsmoked!? Priceless indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think the dash between 'done' and 'hill' actually puts it in the pre-war period, doesn't it? I'm thinking '38 or so?
    That's great news!

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    The ones crafted by Pedro Done-hill himself, "Hecho en England", command the highest prices in estate auctions. Unsmoked!? Priceless indeed.
    Unsmoked no longer; I wanted too damn long to get one of these pipes to let it sit on a shelf. I will say this - Pedro crafted a brilliant pipe. The bowl was sweet and flavorful, and it burned right to the bottom. Nirvana, in a word!
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

A Classic!