Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Rookie Bombed Before His Own Ammunition Stocks Even Arrived

This is a discussion on Rookie Bombed Before His Own Ammunition Stocks Even Arrived within the Pipe & Tobacco Bombs forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Today I got home from work and a strange smell was emanating from the moment I opened the door. I ...

Rookie Bombed Before His Own Ammunition Stocks Even Arrived

Today I got home from work and a strange smell was emanating from the moment I opened the door. I came inside with my dogs to find my girlfriend in a singed heap on the floor. Hair smoking and one eye barely open she warns me not to get my mail off the table. Too late, I grab a mysterious yet nondescript envelope and am thrown into the wall. When I come to there is a scorched envelope in my burnt hand. The dogs are all dazed and cowering in a dark corner, just out of the blast zone. I can just barely make out the return address. Jim (Freestoke), from New York has lobbed a half ton...err...ounce warhead at me. The stenciled letters on the wreckage are hard to decipher, but appear to say "1Q".

But seriously, thank you so much Jim. That was not only very generous, but also timely. You see my first PAD/TAD online order is about 10 days away and I only have about 2 bowls of CBW left. Tonight is date night, but when I return I thoroughly look forward to drying a pinch and sampling a bowl of this very popular aro. Thanks again Jim! I can't think of a better way to make a new guy feel welcome in a new community. I hope you all have a great evening. And Jim, remember...now I know where you live.

Re: Rookie Bombed Before His Own Ammunition Stocks Even Arrived

Although I am way too new to articulate the nuances and characteristics of this tobacco, What I can say is that I will give it a shot. I liked it a lot, from start to finish. My only point of reference is the pouch of CBW that I have almost burnt through. 1Q has a great tin (bag) note, not completely unlike CBW, but subtly different. Even after it's baggy trip from New York, it remained noticeably moist and pliant. Maybe a little less raisins and brown sugar, similar and sweet, just more subtle. The cut is a lot more fine shag (similar to a RYO like Drum) and the tobacco mix is more consistent and fine than CBW. Captain Black seems more bits and pieces and twiggy, whereas the 1Q is a texture that could easily be rolled into a cigarette (not that I plan to). The burn is a lot easier. Not that I didn't relight, just that it burns easier, cleaner and more thoroughly than the CBW, more ash and less crispy dottle. Flavour is one that I do not know how to aptly describe being such a rookie. But 1Q seems to provide more in flavour and gives the smoker an actual taste of the room note. Where I find CBW to taste good for the first 1/3 of the bowl, then quickly go downhill, the 1Q seems more consistent throughout the bowl (which obviously I found more enjoyable). On the topic of room note, I had my evening smoke after a big dinner with my girlfriend and her daughter (21 y/o, just FYI so nobody calls Child Protective Services) and both agreed that it smelled good to them. They also both got a good sniff prior to me loading the pipe and agreed that the tobacco smelled quite good unburnt too. I let it dry for just shy of 1 hour and it felt good to go. However upon smoking, I did note a significant amount of moisture in my stem. Not enough to cause a gurgle, but because my MM Legend has a transparent stem, I could see the steam condensing. So all in all a good smoke, probably my best yet (in the 3+ weeks I have smoked a pipe).

Next time I will dry it up to the verge of crispy and see how it does that way. I may even try blending a little with some CBW (before I run out) and see how that is.

Once again, thanks so much to Jim and his kind generosity. Sorry for the bumbling newb review, but everyone has to start somewhere. My order from P&C is now only about 5 hours away from me. With any luck I will see it delivered today or tomorrow. I am not used to having choices...I won't know what to do with myself with 4 pipes and 4 tobacco's to choose from.

Maturing Puffer Fish trenschler's Avatar

Nice first review Mike!

Thanks Tony. I tried drying some out in the lid of a tin on an oil heater. It was all I really had in my cold shop. I think I went a little gung-ho on the drying though. That or I was just puffing too fast, feeling the need to get back to work. It was not quite bitey, but less smooth for sure. So far I have only really used the 3 part packing method. But I suppose that is okay, not having smoked anything but ribbon cut. I will slow it down tonight for my after dinner smoke and see what I get then.

Great feedback, as I just started pipe smoking a few weeks back and am breaking in a cob with Lane 1Q. I had a small problem with the moisture as well but all good now. Good luck with the variety of tobaccos you have now.

Thanks Wally. If I had to do it all over again, I might have tried to get a more middle of the road codger blend. But that being said, it is a cob and pretty forgiving of any missteps. Although I now wish I had a codger blend because my briar is arriving today and I want to break it in kindly and properly. Once I fulfill my side of the bargain on the Newbie Sampler, I plan to order a small quantity of the top 4 codger blends, to have on hand for that purpose and for blending with any really extreme flakes or ropes.

Quote Originally Posted by trenschler View Post
    Nice first review Mike!
    I'll second that! Glad you're enjoying it, Mike. I think you should be receiving something a bit more substantial in a matter of days, wending its way there from a whole nother country. (Can you believe the spellchecker doesn't know how to spell "nother"? Heathen orthographers at work, who don't know how to spell "orthographer" either! )
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I got some Carter Hall from the local B&M this week to break in a new pipe I got. Not bad. Smokes well

Quote Originally Posted by ChakaRaka View Post
    Thanks Wally. If I had to do it all over again, I might have tried to get a more middle of the road codger blend. But that being said, it is a cob and pretty forgiving of any missteps. Although I now wish I had a codger blend because my briar is arriving today and I want to break it in kindly and properly. Once I fulfill my side of the bargain on the Newbie Sampler, I plan to order a small quantity of the top 4 codger blends, to have on hand for that purpose and for blending with any really extreme flakes or ropes.
    Ummm.....it's pipe smoking. EVERY blend is a codger blend. Those that aren't are shisha.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Quote Originally Posted by WallyBSez View Post
    I got some Carter Hall from the local B&M this week to break in a new pipe I got. Not bad. Smokes well
    I wish I had thought to order some to break in my new briar...

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    Ummm.....it's pipe smoking. EVERY blend is a codger blend. Those that aren't are shisha.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    Except M79, which is the pervy old man blend recommended by Hugh Hefner. (I have my doubts that the pipe was any more than a prop for him. ) If you want to try some, I think there's a pouch of it making the rounds on a smoke-at-your-own risk serial mailing -- smoke some, pass it on -- but do NOT smoke any in that nice new briar, okay?
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Except M79, which is the pervy old man blend recommended by Hugh Hefner. (I have my doubts that the pipe was any more than a prop for him. ) If you want to try some, I think there's a pouch of it making the rounds on a smoke-at-your-own risk serial mailing -- smoke some, pass it on -- but do NOT smoke any in that nice new briar, okay?
    I'm inclined to agree with you, I think the only thing in Heff's pipe was drool. I am not sure I am ready for the infamous Mixture 79 yet. Not only would I not smoke it in my one and only briar, but I don't even know that I have a corn cob that I dislike that much. Maybe my unsmoked "Chinese Durable Stone Pipe"... I just tried Black House last night and from "tin note" to bottom of the bowl, my senses didn't know what to think besides damn spicey! I warned the girlfriend, but she said, "Oh how bad can it be? You don't have to smoke it outside..."