Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

The King of Bomblets Strikes Again...

This is a discussion on The King of Bomblets Strikes Again... within the Pipe & Tobacco Bombs forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; So my girlfriend went to check the mail this afternoon on her lunch break and BOOM!, I've been hit again. ...

The King of Bomblets Strikes Again...

So my girlfriend went to check the mail this afternoon on her lunch break and BOOM!, I've been hit again. Mike (mikebjrtx) has once again sent two "letters" my way:

Peter Heinrichs - Special Selection: Dark Strong Flake (rubbed out)
    McClelland - Frog Morton: On The Bayou

The "Dark Strong Flake" rang a bell at first, but I didn't realize why until I looked it up. Aha, that was the tin that Mike requested for his end of our NPS trade. Then I recalled reading the description that at the time of purchase made me think, better him than me:

Aged cakes of red Virginia and fire-cured dark Kentucky tobaccos give this full-bodied, flavorful flake an unusually rich and naturally spicy taste. Not for neophytes, this one satisfies with old-fashioned deep taste. Good outdoors.

To my uninitiated palette is smells of molasses.

The FMOTB smells delicious, something I cannot quite place, perhaps a stronger perique presence than I have experienced in my one and only taste of another VaPer so far. I have heard great things about all the Frog Morton's and am sure I will enjoy trying my first one.

Thank you so much for finding me in your sights again Mike, your generosity is becoming legendary and is much appreciated by a broke newbie. I hope that some day soon I will have some quantity and a vac packer, so that I can "get you back" one of these days. Although with how customs is getting nowadays, a "friendly fire" hit might be safer.

Which brings me to my next observation. The last bomb I was hit with previous to this (the one that contained the fearsome Cheeta) had the seal broken on one of the envelopes. The Dunhill My Mixture 965 (of course one of the aged ones) had its seal broken, although I could not find the hole readily. This time the Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake was the same story and I could see a pin hole that went through both layers of the bag. It kind of looked like it had been stapled but just with one side of a staple. But neither envelope looked obviously punched. I am curious now if Canadian Customs is probing some of these letters as they come through the border? It just seems funny that none of the original 14 had their seals broken, but now one on each of my last two bombs has. I hope I am not on some terrorist or drug czar watchlist now...

Rookie, but learning.
    BC, Canada Pipe Smokers Group

Re: The King of Bomblets Strikes Again...

I just went and had a look at reviews on FMOTB and realized that I was mistaken in thinking this was a VaPer. Now I undertand why my nose was a little confused. There is latakia and turkish in this Balkan. I am quite enthused to try this one now, as my first Balkan was quite a strong one for a "neophyte" (Black House) and even that is quickly growing on me and becoming one of my likely future regulars. Well I did say I was a rookie and apparently I am learning.

Now my biggest problem is that not having a pipe for at least 4 days, I can't decide what I should smoke and in what. But hey, I'll take that dilemma over the others that I am ignoring for today...

Rookie, but learning.

Re: The King of Bomblets Strikes Again...

B o o o m !

I think I might just have to start sending Mike tins and use this as my primary method of acquiring tobacco duty free in Canada. I also need to restock on mason jars now...and find more time to try some of these amazing samples. Thanks again Mike.

Rookie, but learning.