Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why did I tell my wife I'd QUIT???

This is a discussion on Why did I tell my wife I'd QUIT??? within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I used to smoke every so often with my buddies. During my Iraq deployment in 2004 it ramped up to ...

Why did I tell my wife I'd QUIT???

I used to smoke every so often with my buddies.

During my Iraq deployment in 2004 it ramped up to six sticks a day.

When I got home I slowed down to one or two a day. My wife, who is fairly cool and will every so often light up a puro herself, was not happy but never said a thing.

When I was activated for Afghanistan, I felt super guilty for leaving her again, so, in an effort to make her feel better about the situation, I casually mentioned I was only going to smoke through the end of the deployment.

While it might be a good idea to move to weekends only, I enjoy a nice smoke WAY to much to want to stop.

So what do I do now?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish JordanWexler's Avatar

Re: Why did I tell my wife I'd QUIT???

You dug yourself deep.
    I suppose either you hold to your promise - or you remind her its something that you really, truly enjoy.

Young Puffer Fish

wow 6 sticks! I thought I was doing good with 1 a night while I was deployed to Balad. What she doesn't know won't hurt her - But honesty is the best policy.
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour ... you're gonna see some serious sh**."
    Dr. Emmett L. Brown

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Volt's Avatar

Well, in hind sight, not so good a statement. But, in my little world, it's amazing what some of that shiney, glittery stuff you wear on fingers and around the neck will let me do
    Friends don't let friends smoke fruity cigars!

If you let her know how much relaxation a daily cigar brings you, hopefully she will realize that life's too short not to do the things that make you happy. Be supportive of all she does, and it will come back to you.

Vodka is food....who's hungry?

You're welcome, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
    If you let her know how much relaxation a daily cigar brings you, hopefully she will realize that life's too short not to do the things that make you happy. Be supportive of all she does, and it will come back to you.
    I'd discuss it with her or keep my word, because if she finds out you didn't, not good.

I've been on several antidepressants over the past couple of years and right now nothing works better than a nice cigar at the end of the day. Just let her know how much it really does help you. it's best to be honest in this situation.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
    ~Ronald Reagan~

Puffer Fish with some spikes CigarmanTim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TikiHut27 View Post
    So what do I do now?
    Claim temporary insanity

Quote Originally Posted by TikiHut27 View Post
    So what do I do now?
    Deny that you ever told her you would quit.

Awaiting Confirmation

could not have said it better. Relationships require solid communications

You are definitely on the right track. Cigar smoking is not something you can hide from your wife, either. (Plus I don't work like that.) But I made a promise, right? Isn't that kind of backing out?

Honesty may not always the best policy...but when it comes to the bride, it's the only policy. Talk it over with her and hope she understands how much you enjoy cigars and maybe you can work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post
    I'd discuss it with her or keep my word, because if she finds out you didn't, not good.
    also

Good luck and thank you for your service.
    How to Snork....CLICKY
    Check out my Alaska Blog....HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Bobb View Post
    Honesty may not always the best policy...but when it comes to the bride, it's the only policy. Talk it over with her and hope she understands how much you enjoy cigars and maybe you can work something out.

also

Good luck and thank you for your service.
    Thanks, appreciate it.

I still think maybe weekends only is a good option.

Also I like the shiny stuff suggestion from volt!

Quote Originally Posted by CigarmanTim View Post
    Claim temporary insanity

I've decided I'm too sensitive. Must be something in the water.

I'll go home and say "Woman, light my damn cigar!".

That should do it, right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast