Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How would you feel about somthing like this?

This is a discussion on How would you feel about somthing like this? within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by croatan Never been to one that sells water (at least that I know of). Been to many ...

No longer a community member. pnoon's Avatar

Re: How would you feel about somthing like this?

Quote Originally Posted by croatan View Post
    Never been to one that sells water (at least that I know of). Been to many that give it away, though. Yeah, if I really dug the place, I'd go back. In and of itself, it's really not that big of a deal. My guess is, though, that if they're making that big of a deal about selling water, I'm probably not going to like the guys running it anyway (but I am kind of a dick ).
    Quote Originally Posted by [OT] Loki View Post
    they want you to pay $3 for water....the hell is it a movie theater? I've taken my own beverages to all the shops I go to and no one has said anything....including the one that sells soda for $0.50/can. Course I didn't know that at the time and I haven't done it since. I'd be finding a new shop, there were better ways to handle the situation then they did
    Points well taken, gentlemen.
    BUT, my point is to help the OP understand the position of the proprietor. Not impose my choice on the OP. He says he likes the place. If he does, then he should abide by their rules and stop complaining. If it is THAT much of a deal about the water, then, yes, he should find another spot.

Edit: And now that I re-read the damn title of the thread, I take back my counterpoint. I don't dispute your feelings about it. As I said, I would likely feel the same way. I was just trying to offer up perspective from the other side.

The paying customer is King in my book...
    Dave...
    Smoke what *YOU* like,like what you smoke

Chest Beating Pack Leader [OT] Loki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
    Points well taken, gentlemen.
    BUT, my point is to help the OP understand the position of the proprietor. Not impose my choice on the OP. He says he likes the place. If he does, then he should abide by their rules and stop complaining. If it is THAT much of a deal about the water, then, yes, he should find another spot.

Edit: And now that I re-read the damn title of the thread, I take back my counterpoint. I don't dispute your feelings about it. As I said, I would likely feel the same way. I was just trying to offer up perspective from the other side.
    i understand your point quite well and I happen to agree. if he doesn't like the rules then yes he should go else where. However, what if the customer wishes to consume a beverage other then water? I don't like water, I stick to colas when I'm smoking my pipe or cigar. What should someone who is in my position do?
    There's no time to explain get in the

No longer a community member. pnoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [OT] Loki View Post
    i understand your point quite well and I happen to agree. if he doesn't like the rules then yes he should go else where. However, what if the customer wishes to consume a beverage other then water? I don't like water, I stick to colas when I'm smoking my pipe or cigar. What should someone who is in my position do?
    What we all agree on - find another shop.

Chest Beating Pack Leader [OT] Loki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
    What we all agree on - find another shop.
    well put sir
    There's no time to explain get in the

Ok, let me say some more. The truth I'v been to places that let you drink your own, and I'v been to place that asked me not to pay, they said take it.

The truth is, I was told by a guy that comes there alot, that last year they bearly had a 1%loss they make big money, and good for them. And the truth is part of why they probly make alot of money because they charge $3 for water and they do sell coke and mocas or somthing.
    My point is a guy pays $90 dollars for a pipe let the man enjoy his smoke. don't shove it down his throat while he's just lighting up his new pipe after he gave you Money. If that is part of there buisness I can understand, they make lets say (only example) 100,000 a year from the beverages, and everyone brings there own then the whole income is down the drain, I can understand that. but personelly I like to drink when I smoke, so that place I guess is not for me. And its ok, I have other places to go.
    I'm not out raged its just I need my drink, and If I can't have it I can't smoke there.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish 4thtry's Avatar

That is absolutely ridiculous. Honestly, it'd make me think twice about being a customer again.

My B&M has a policy......Bring in whatever beverage you want, non-aclo, or alcoholic, just make sure you bring some to share. If you need water, he sells the big ass deer park squir bottles for $1 a pop. THAT's how it should be....but maybe i'm just spoiled. My B&M is the shiz so, i'm not sure if this is normal or not, but your story definitely sounds like a bad b&m experience
    The only problem with doing nothing, is never knowing when you're done.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

For me I wouldn't have taken an outside drink to the B&M without having asked if it was ok first.
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

I don't like it. I think they are forgetting what they are selling. The places I go into sell drinks as a side item, so we can have something while we are in there spending big bucks on cigars. They give away all the coffee you can drink. Both here in Nashville, (2 places) and in Knoxville.

OK, it's a rule. A dumb rule. You can almost guess that the manager had a store meeting that morning with everyone about the "rule."
    Luck is my middle name," said Rincewind, indistinctly. "Mind you, my first name is Bad."
    -- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

I AM NOT a fish!

I'd also have to agree that hassling somebody that just spent close to $100 in the store is beyond the pale. I think I would have a talk with the manager and tell him exactly how you feel. See his reaction. If he is still hard nosed about his rule, then tell him he just lost a customer for a bottle of water. Let's see- $90 vs $3-- hmmm, I think I know what I'd rather take in!

Not having one of these places, I can't comment other than that. But, I do take me a cola when I light up in my cigar room or on the deck.

My B&M is pretty good. You can bring in your own drinks. However, you can get a can of soda for 50 cents which is better than most vending machines. Also, the assistant manager offers iced coffee at $1 a goblet and 50 cent refills. Better tasting and cheaper than the nearby Starbucks.

These guys may be assholes (in a good way, friends of mine) but they know customer service and we appreciate it.

Over at Habanos Torres it's all BYO but Tim usually has Coke for himself and us regulars.

As for your situation, that sucks dude but them's the rules.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2