Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Walmart: Show your receipt, or we'll get your license plate number!

This is a discussion on Walmart: Show your receipt, or we'll get your license plate number! within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by SeanGAR I won't show anybody my damned receipt. They have frickn cameras all over the place, they ...

Re: Walmart: Show your receipt, or we'll get your license plate number!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
    I won't show anybody my damned receipt.

They have frickn cameras all over the place, they can find thieves that way. If they think they saw me steal something, call the cops and have me arrested. Otherwise, they can GTF out of my way.
    It ain't always about the customer, Sean. Often cashiers at retail stores underring/don't ring items, charge for them, and pocket the cash. Seeing an item in your possession, that you did in fact pay for, but does not appear on the receipt, is a way for them to determine that an employee is stealing from the store.

On another note, I used to bounce at bars a lot when I was younger. The people who would always get the angriest about being carded were almost always the people who had turned 21 within the last 6 months. I always told them sarcastically "So sorry to insult you".

Vodka is food....who's hungry?

You're welcome, Dave.

If they explain to me that they are investigating a checker I'd be happy to oblige. If they simply believe that I'm a thief, I will not. Simple as that. They need to arrest me to see my bags or receipt and if they do I will sue. I have a problem with insinuations that I'm a thief. If they want to stop theft, they should stop thieves ... I am not a thief, so they are not reducing theft by stopping me.

Could also be making sure you have everything you've paid for. I know on more than one occassion I've left the cashier and forgot a bag or an item there. I'd rather be stopped at the door and reminded to pick that item up than get home and realize at that point i'm missing an item.

Committed

Quote Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
    If they explain to me that they are investigating a checker I'd be happy to oblige. If they simply believe that I'm a thief, I will not. Simple as that. They need to arrest me to see my bags or receipt and if they do I will sue. I have a problem with insinuations that I'm a thief. If they want to stop theft, they should stop thieves ... I am not a thief, so they are not reducing theft by stopping me.
    It may not be that they are actively investigating a checker, but more that the random receipt checks *might* deter checkers from attempting this practice.
    我恨棕色襯衣

Not Here

I know at the Costco here everyone has their receipt checked. I have often wondered why more stores do not do this. The positives would be

Helps prevent theft from employees
    Helps prevent theft from customers
    Employs at least one extra person per shift

The only negatives I could think of would be
    ?????????

Can't think of any.
    BIA!!!

Committed

A lot of times the reason I'll get something at walmart or target instead of sams or costco is because I detest waiting to have my receipt checked. I was actually quite upset when walmart started doing this, although I haven't been stopped yet (it does slow my exit as there is always a cluster at the front of the store).

It seems that sams and costco always have the slowest receipt checker they can find. It's either someone that can barely read or some old lady that will literally count every item on the receipt (even if there are 100 items). It will often take me longer to exit Sams than it does to actually check out.

So, while I think it's within walmart's right to do this, I am actually shopping there less because of it.
    我恨棕色襯衣

When I'm out shopping and I go through the checkout I frequently decline a bag. Just don't like having to throw it out, that's just me

So..........unless someone asked to see my receipt, how, exactly, would they know I paid for something and didn't just pick it up off a shelf and was walking out the door with it?

I don't like taking my shoes off either. Sweaty feet, smelly feet, call it what you will. If I go to a friends house and they want me to take my shoes off in their house, I do. Their house, their rules. I don't go to somebody else's house or property and try to impose MY rules on them. If anyone doesn't like showing a receipt, there is a very simple option available to them.

Awaiting Confirmation

This seems to be what we know...

1. An apparent store representative asked Kris for his receipt as he departed the store
    2. Not everyone at that time was being asked for receipts
    3. Kris said 'no'
    4. The apparent store representative took down his license plate number

I don't know why the person asked Kris for the receipt and think that speculation is speculative at best.

I have friends and family who work(ed) in retail. I know that losses can be high due to 'disappearance'. I'd have produced the receipt provided that I was asked politely. But then, if I was still in my early 20s, who knows, I might not. I'm old now and have to pick my battles carefully.

Committed

Quote Originally Posted by madurolover View Post
    I know at the Costco here everyone has their receipt checked. I have often wondered why more stores do not do this. The positives would be

Helps prevent theft from employees
    Helps prevent theft from customers
    Employs at least one extra person per shift

The only negatives I could think of would be
    ?????????

Can't think of any.
    maybe a negative is that it employs at least one extra person per shift? All else equal that isn't good for the bottom line. Of course, all else isn't equal if it does indeed deter theft.
    我恨棕色襯衣

Committed

Quote Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post
    I don't like taking my shoes off either. Sweaty feet, smelly feet, call it what you will. If I go to a friends house and they want me to take my shoes off in their house, I do. Their house, their rules. I don't go to somebody else's house or property and try to impose MY rules on them. If anyone doesn't like showing a receipt, there is a very simple option available to them.
    This reminds me of Frank Costanza, except for the part where you actually oblige and take off your shoes.
    我恨棕色襯衣

Committed

Quote Originally Posted by vstrommark View Post
    This seems to be what we know...

1. An apparent store representative asked Kris for his receipt as he departed the store
    2. Not everyone at that time was being asked for receipts
    3. Kris said 'no'
    4. The apparent store representative took down his license plate number

I don't know why the person asked Kris for the receipt and think that speculation is speculative at best.

I have friends and family who work(ed) in retail. I know that losses can be high due to 'disappearance'. I'd have produced the receipt provided that I was asked politely. But then, if I was still in my early 20s, who knows, I might not. I'm old now and have to pick my battles carefully.
    Maybe the win-win situation would have been for Kris to politely tell her that he was in a hurry and if she'd like to follow him to his car she can check the receipt as he loads the items into the car (or even on the way to the car).
    我恨棕色襯衣

Not Here

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
    A lot of times the reason I'll get something at walmart or target instead of sams or costco is because I detest waiting to have my receipt checked. I was actually quite upset when walmart started doing this, although I haven't been stopped yet (it does slow my exit as there is always a cluster at the front of the store).

It seems that sams and costco always have the slowest receipt checker they can find. It's either someone that can barely read or some old lady that will literally count every item on the receipt (even if there are 100 items). It will often take me longer to exit Sams than it does to actually check out.

So, while I think it's within walmart's right to do this, I am actually shopping there less because of it.
    I guess luckily for me our Costco is very quick about checking receipts. I am sure they do not check every item if you have lots and I am sure that some people walk out with small unpaid for things in their cart. Our Costco also uses additional checkers when the line starts to back up. It is not unusual to see 3 or 4 people checking receipts at a time to make things quicker.
    BIA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post
    If I go to a friends house and they want me to take my shoes off in their house, I do.
    I've always thought that was the weirdest thing. It creeps me out to walk around someone's house without shoes on. If that's someone's policy, I just find a reason not go back to their house. Plus, if they don't allow shoes, they probably aren't going to think much of me spilling my ashes and red wine, either. So screw 'em
    [SIZE="1"]For Rent[/SIZE]

Committed

Quote Originally Posted by madurolover View Post
    I guess luckily for me our Costco is very quick about checking receipts. I am sure they do not check every item if you have lots and I am sure that some people walk out with small unpaid for things in their cart. Our Costco also uses additional checkers when the line starts to back up. It is not unusual to see 3 or 4 people checking receipts at a time to make things quicker.
    I wish Sam's would do that. Honestly though, both Costco and Sam's here don't have the exit door room to have more than two carts go through at a time.
    我恨棕色襯衣

Not Here

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
    maybe a negative is that it employs at least one extra person per shift? All else equal that isn't good for the bottom line. Of course, all else isn't equal if it does indeed deter theft.
    I was posting as you posted this. What I was talking about is not the stores bottom line but the fact that their would possibly be one less unemployeed person.
    BIA!!!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast