Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Drinking Age?

This is a discussion on Drinking Age? within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I've heard alot of debate on the news recently concerning lowering the drinking age to 18. I don't understand why ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Drinking Age?

I've heard alot of debate on the news recently concerning lowering the drinking age to 18. I don't understand why colleges would want to support such a movement. They say it's to reduce the number of deaths related to binge drinking, which I agree is a problem, but giving an 18 year old the impression that drinking is acceptable at this age is crazy. I for one don't see any good effect coming from allowing an 18 year old to drink. What are your thoughts?
    Ever wonder how a puffer fish keeps a cigar lit under water? Yeah me too!

Re: Drinking Age?

Quote Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
    I've heard alot of debate on the news recently concerning lowering the drinking age to 18. I don't understand why colleges would want to support such a movement. They say it's to reduce the number of deaths related to binge drinking, which I agree is a problem, but giving an 18 year old the impression that drinking is acceptable at this age is crazy. I for one don't see any good effect coming from allowing an 18 year old to drink. What are your thoughts?
    In one of my last classes at IU we debated this for a week. IMO I see no advantages to lowering the drinking age to 18. I really think were causing more problems than solving some. An 18 year old body/brain I don't think is capable of handling this responsibility

Suffering from PHUC: Post-Herf Uncontrollable Crankiness

Original Detroit Crew Kidrock387's Avatar

I started college four years ago and back then I thought a big deal was made about it..not compared till now. I don't like the drinking age that low but that is just my own feelings. The suprising thing is seeing how many big time colleges that are backing this up...Duke, Ohio State, and John Hopkins just to name a few.
    College has taught me alot....

4 chat go to extras leasingthisspace's Avatar

I would like to start off by saying that this is my . I can tell you why I feel we as a country need to lower the drinking age. At the age of 18 I can decide to join the Armed Forces. I can join earlier but will not be sent to combat until 18. At the age of 18 the government thinks you are old enough to make that decision but not old enough to drink a beer. At the age of 18 the government feels you are old enough to have a say in the future of the country by being able to vote, but not old enough to drink a beer. At the age of 18 I can decide to buy a cigar if I want to, but not old enough to have a beer. Please tell me a reason other then college kids drinking too much why we as a country should not lower the drinking age to 18.

Please don't think I want to lower the drinking age to 18 without other changes. What we need is harder penalites for people the break the laws that come with drinking. Drunk drivers, serving under age people, consuming under age all need harsher slaps then on the wrist.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Quote Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
    I would like to start off by saying that this is my . I can tell you why I feel we as a country need to lower the drinking age. At the age of 18 I can decide to join the Armed Forces. I can join earlier but will not be sent to combat until 18. At the age of 18 the government thinks you are old enough to make that decision but not old enough to drink a beer. At the age of 18 the government feels you are old enough to have a say in the future of the country by being able to vote, but not old enough to drink a beer. At the age of 18 I can decide to buy a cigar if I want to, but not old enough to have a beer. Please tell me a reason other then college kids drinking too much why we as a country should not lower the drinking age to 18.

Please don't think I want to lower the drinking age to 18 without other changes. What we need is harder penalites for people the break the laws that come with drinking. Drunk drivers, serving under age people, consuming under age all need harsher slaps then on the wrist.
    I agree with many of your points but my main concern is drunk driving. Now don't get me wrong even when I was 21 years old I drove even when I shouldn't have. I just feel that you mature so much between 18 and 21. I would hate to see the decision making abilities of an 18 year old be even more clouded.
    Ever wonder how a puffer fish keeps a cigar lit under water? Yeah me too!

Inmate

Quote Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
    That is exactly what I think too. You can get married (in many states younger then that). You can be put to death for murder. You can do anything and everything (almost), except enjoy a frothy brew.

Quoted from a medical website:

"The adolescent brain
    The brain goes through dynamic change during adolescence, and alcohol can seriously damage long- and short-term growth processes. Frontal lobe development and the refinement of pathways and connections continue until age 16, and a high rate of energy is used as the brain matures until age 20. Damage from alcohol at this time can be long-term and irreversible. In addition, short-term or moderate drinking impairs learning and memory far more in youth than adults. Adolescents need only drink half as much to suffer the same negative effects."

Elder Puffer Fish Leader taltos's Avatar

I would support lowering the drinking age to 18 with the presentation of a Military ID card. If you are old enough to kill and be killed, you are old enough to drink alcohol. I went to school in New York State for my last two years of high school and the drinking age was 18 at that time (late '60's). I saw less problems then with 18 year olds than I see with 21 year olds now. I think that the reason that these college presidents are in favor of lowering the drinking age is so that they do not have to check for age at college functions and fraternity parties.

Paul
    Til the end like a friend stands by you again,
    And I wouldn't change a thing.

There could be the "forbidden fruit" argument. This would be the suggestion that lowering the drinking age to 18 could take away the sense of the rebel view of partaking in something illegal. So, if an 18 year old can go anywhere he or she wants and buy alcohol, this could take away the want or need to feel rebellious. I don't necessarily buy that, but being in the military, I've heard the old saying of "old enough to die for your country, old enough to drink"...I don't necessarily buy either because there will still be dorm parties causing stupid people to be even stupider (yeah, been there). Anyways, a controlled environment to test this could probably prove beneficial; and actually is put into force for military members stationed in certain countries overseas. Those new members stationed in Turkey, for example, are allowed to buy alcohol as long as he or she is are 18. So, the underage drinking issues does not come into play. Yep, people still have parties, and people still act stupid because alcohol (in excess) causes people to think irrationally and immature, regardless if they are 18 or 80.
    "While smoking a cigar, we are in the presence of eternity...the smoke drifts gently heavenward on its quest to combine with the great eternal oneness." - Prince Sined Yar Maharg Love Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by taltos View Post
    I would support lowering the drinking age to 18 with the presentation of a Military ID card. If you are old enough to kill and be killed, you are old enough to drink alcohol. I went to school in New York State for my last two years of high school and the drinking age was 18 at that time (late '60's). I saw less problems then with 18 year olds than I see with 21 year olds now. I think that the reason that these college presidents are in favor of lowering the drinking age is so that they do not have to check for age at college functions and fraternity parties.
    Bingo....the Presidents just want to wash their hands of this. By lowering the drinking age to 18, they think it will cause less problems for them

Elder Puffer Fish Leader taltos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
    Bingo....the Presidents just want to wash their hands of this. By lowering the drinking age to 18, they think it will cause less problems for them
    What it does is attempts to take the liability away from the institution and place it on the individual and/or fraternity.

Paul
    Til the end like a friend stands by you again,
    And I wouldn't change a thing.

4 chat go to extras leasingthisspace's Avatar

I agree with many of your points but my main concern is drunk driving. Now don't get me wrong even when I was 21 years old I drove even when I shouldn't have. I just feel that you mature so much between 18 and 21. I would hate to see the decision making abilities of an 18 year old be even more clouded.
    Thats part of it if they lower the age to 18 they need to make the penalties harsher for doing things like drunk driving. I really think the laws are to relaxed on that anyway.

I think that the legal age should be 18. Chances are if you are not adult enough to drink with responsibility at 18 you probably still will not be at 21.

During my time in Europe (Army) I saw far less drunken fools in the 3 years I was there than I have seen in one night here. I think that their lack of legal drinking age helps to promote a healthy respect for alcohol. Of course the parenting has much to do with that also.
    BIA!!!

Quoted from a medical website:

"The adolescent brain
    The brain goes through dynamic change during adolescence, and alcohol can seriously damage long- and short-term growth processes. Frontal lobe development and the refinement of pathways and connections continue until age 16, and a high rate of energy is used as the brain matures until age 20. Damage from alcohol at this time can be long-term and irreversible. In addition, short-term or moderate drinking impairs learning and memory far more in youth than adults. Adolescents need only drink half as much to suffer the same negative effects."
    Pot, kettle, black.

Smoking causes cancer.

The glibness of my comment is not directed at you smitdavi, but this argument should hold zero water here. If an adult wishes to engage in a self destructive behavior then they should be able to so long as they are not causing harm to others.

An 18 year old body/brain I don't think is capable of handling this responsibility

a 16 year old brain is capable of handling the responsibility to drive
    a 18 year old brain is capable of handling the responsibility to vote
    a 18 year old brain is capable of handling the responsibility to fly around the world and fight a war
    but an 18 year old brain isn't capable of handling the responsibility to drink?

I'de rather see 18 year old kids drink then die in a war.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast