Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Blinded by the Light

This is a discussion on Blinded by the Light within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I've always been confused by the lyrics to this song (Manfred Mann version), but never got motivated enough to look ...

Blinded by the Light

I've always been confused by the lyrics to this song (Manfred Mann version), but never got motivated enough to look them up and really read them, word for word. Well, I was called for jury duty today (first time in my 42 years!) and while I was doing the obligatory waiting to be selected or not, I was sitting in my car listening to the radio and the song came on...

I decided to see if I could google the lyrics on my blackberry...and I was successful. Wow, was I surprised. I think after reading the real lyrics I'm more confused than before!

Here is just a sampling of the lyrics:
    ==========================
    Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night

Madman drummers bummers, Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat
    In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat
    With a boulder on my shoulder, feelin' kinda older, I tripped the merry-go-round
    With this very unpleasin', sneezin' and wheezin, the calliope crashed to the ground
    The calliope crashed to the ground

But she was...
    Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, runner in the night

Some silicone sister with a manager mister told me I go what it takes
    She said "I'll turn you on sonny to something strong, play the song with the funky break"
    And go-cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe outside
    And little Early-Pearly came by in his curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride
    Asked me if I needed a ride
    ==========================

WOW...I've done my share of mind altering substances in my time (maybe that's part of my problem ), but I really don't have the foggiest notion what that guy was thinking. I'm sure I'm late to the party on this one (ya'll probably already ran this trap before), but I finally got un-lazy and looked up the lyrics...what a surprise!

Just had to share.

Grizz

This space owned by Puff. Jbailey's Avatar

Re: Blinded by the Light

I remember looking up those lyrics awhile back. I could never remember what they were.

Nice post
    Goodbye Louie

Wait, so its not 'wrapped up like a douche'?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ggainey's Avatar

I have always been mystified by this song as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "If I had taken my doctor's advice and quit smoking when he advised me to,I wouldn't have lived to go to his funeral."
    George burns at age 98

Sounds like it's about either drag racing or cruisin.

Deuce is either a two-seat hot rod or a two-barrel carbeuretor....I'm going with the former. Indian was a brand of motorcycle, Diplomat was a trim level of 50s dodge hardtop (Some of them DeSotos).

Callaipoe could refer to a car, the "unpleasant sneezin and wheezin" could be it breaking down, thus hit the ground.

Also, many folks in drag racing refer to a race as a "run". "He ran the quarter mile in 12.5 seconds at 130mph." being one example of it's use.

Yeah, I think it's about redlight races.
    I'm in ur humidorz, collectin ur Gurkhas!

I am not a fish!

The lyrics make a bit more sense when you realize the writer was Bruce Springsteen from his first album, Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ.
    [SIZE=5]
    [/SIZE]

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Kaisersozei's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
    The lyrics make a bit more sense when you realize the writer was Bruce Springsteen from his first album, Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ.
    The song is about the people Bruce met when he was playing in those Jersey shore bars before cutting his first album. Bob Dylan was a heavy influence on his song writing at the time, thus the over abundance of poeticism.

My favorite line from those original lyrics was always:

"And now in Zanzibar a shootin' star was ridin' in a side car hummin' a lunar tune"

Last edited by Kaisersozei; 08-30-2008 at 09:06 AM.

I didn't know Springsteen was the original author...does make a little more sense, although I have to admit that he took quite a few liberties with some of those word combinations!

I love the song and find myself singing along (as best I can) - I enjoy the curly-wurly line - but I don't think I'll ever fully understand what he was thinking and/or trying to say with the lyrics.

Thanks for the new insights into this one. Grizz

Just wanted to thank you.

Since I read this post three days ago I haven't been able to get this song out of my head. I have to search down the earworm thread to find something else to give it the bump.