Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need a little moral support...

This is a discussion on Need a little moral support... within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Here is the skinny: I started smoking cigarettes when I was 12. Yes, 12 (no typo, twelve). I had smoked ...

Need a little moral support...

Here is the skinny:

I started smoking cigarettes when I was 12. Yes, 12 (no typo, twelve). I had smoked till I was 23/24, quit for a year, then started back up a pack a day or more at times, and finally quit when I was 26. Just stopped buying them! That seemed to be the easiet reason for me, don't buy another cigarette.
    Well, about 7 months ago, I came to work after a short vacation....... to find the job in shambles, litterally messed up! I litterally almost lost my job, religon, and a few friends over it (ranting n raving). I was shaking I was so pissed!! Well I stopped, got a pack of cigarettes and haven't put them down since.

Well, I haven't had a cigarette in three days (since wednesday). I'm doing good, but am trying not to think about the cravings.....

I have good reasons to quit.
    * $5/pk 3pks/week = too damn much money
    * My health, my fiance's and my unborn child's health (don't smoke around her at all though, she knows, but don't smoke near her)
    * Need to save money.

I am going to IPCPR this week with my friends, who will help me keep my mind off the nasty things, so this week will be a proving point to myself to show that I can break this bad habit.

Any words of wisdom, thoughts, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Need a little moral support...

I'm sending ya good vibes brother! Take it one day at a time and there will be days you will have to take it an hour at a time. Focus, you can do it!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

I tell you Shawn straight up man to man. Here is the bottom line. If you really want to quit you will. Simple as that, please allow me to explain.
    True story.
    I started smoking cigarettes when i was 13 -14 smoked till i was 37. Married divorced twice car broke lost my job got a rash on my butt boss hates me wife hates me i hate myself. You see that last one i hate myself that is how i quit. Please indilge this old man one more time and allow to explain. You see there are many reasons to smoke to coin a phrase any excuse will do. But there is only one reason to stop. Learn to love yourself and you will quit just like that. When i quit it was totally by accident wasn't even smoking cigars except on special occasion handful of times a year. Didn't even substitute one for the other. I just went an hour without one that became 2 so on and so on. Once i had a month i wanted to jump and touch the clouds. Then a year then 2 so on. That was 13 years ago i tell you for the first 5 years i used to have dreams i was at a party smoking. That's how strong the mind and the power of addiction are. I used to reach in my shirt pocket for them.
    I tried acupuncture, hypnosis, patch ,gum,zyban. you name it all a waste of cash. See there is not stronger than you and your mind. Funny when i stopped the last and for the final time. As i know i could never do it again, i wasn't grouchy or hungry or bored or any of that. I will never pick one up again remember this saying a dear friend that is no longer with us told it to me. "One is too many a thousand is never enough" peace brother God be with you.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

No longer a community member.

It's hard but I did it after 30+ years, I smoke a lot of cigars, Maybe smoke a few more than normal to help the urge.

Good Luck Shawn You CAN do it Bro!!

You already know the reasons why you need to quit, it's just wrapping your head around getting it done and sticking to it. You're way past the hardest part and just remember how hard it was to get to this point.

Good luck, you know you can do it!

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

Man you are so past the hard part this advice is kinda pointless. But Welbutran did it for me. The crap works! Took it for a cpl of months for "other" reasons, and just one day put my cigs in the trash and never had one withdrawal symptom.

At this point, you are all but past the hardest part. Just keep telling yourself, if you pick them back up now, even just a drag, all that pain and suffering would have been for nothing.
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

I agree with the boys here...I did cigarettes for awhile and it is indeed a choke hold they put on you,,,it's a craving that I never get from cigars. I went back to cigars even more to get thru that period of cigarettes and I don't have a big craving anymore ( sometimes I get a craving but I light up my cigar and it goes away )

Determining what it is you want is the main ingredient to success..believing in it. Stress is always the trigger for us to go back to a comfort zone and that is what bad habits are about...a negative re inforcement that was perpetuated by stress where we sought out those habits that gave us comfort.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Three days without em? You are through the roughest part, but you know that. Hang in there...your will power will get you the rest of the way.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night. - Unknown

I am trying to quit too. Like Tony said I keep finding any reason to smoke. Hang in there we can beat these stinkers.
    "I was gonna yell FORE, but I was too busy mumbling "No way that's gonna hit him"

I can offer you all moral support as I beat them ages ago after many, many tries & smoking for 20 years. Be strong & self willed. I found a great uplifting in the end because of the fact that I grew in personal fortitude because of the battle. You will be better people for it.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Five days and counting.
    Its getting easier by the day. The missus asked me today "you aren't smoking cigarettes as much as you were are you?" I told her I gave up that wrotten expensive habbit. It wasn't worth it anymore.

Thanks for all your words of encouragement and offers of help. They are greatly appreciated and very helpful along my way.

Thanks!

Go Shawn!!
    This Space For Rent

No longer a community member.

Go Shawn

Ole Crusty Spiked Fish tpharkman's Avatar

Keep it up!! If you fall to them again I have got an idea that might work for you but I think you are going to knock it out of the park and kick the shit-sticks.
    Agnes, have you seen my Don Diegos?

Maturing Puffer Fish

You can do it, I just quit recently, I know how bad it can be. Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast