Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Why Do some of you.....

This is a discussion on Why Do some of you..... within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Im a member of 1 forum for each of my hobbies. I have one for guns, spiders, venomous snakes/scorpions, photography, ...

Re: Why Do some of you.....

Im a member of 1 forum for each of my hobbies.

I have one for guns, spiders, venomous snakes/scorpions, photography, hunting, and now cigars.

I cruise them all, but, Anymore I find myself making this a steady home. I like the atmosphere here more than the rest.

For instance, on the spider boards im on(i have been a member for a while now) I regularly get into it with the moderators. over dumb shit. For instance I got called a dumb redneck(I might be but dont tell me that unless we are face to face- so i can show you how a country boy does it.lol) ever since then that mod gives me infractions for posting an ad and bumping it too much. or whatever.

also people there are such snobs(mainly because we have alot of scientists with phd...blah.)

Anyway. I wont venture away from puff. I havent even been a member for a month and already feel like you all are family!
    "If smoking is not allowed in heaven, I shall not go." Mark Twain
    My Tarantulas and other stuff go - here

No longer a community member.

I visit other place now mostly travel forums and cc forums the for sale type, I don't have time or energy for what I have to do now and if it wasn't for my commitment to the troops I might turn the computer off completley. I need to retire but can't afford to!

That kinda answers your question?

All you have to do is look at my post count to see I was living here at one point long before it was ever Puff. Haven't really been away to long but for me this place is just to big and just keeps growing. I think there are to many sub forums, guns, cars, motorcycles etc... I can understand the coffee and drinks and even food sub forums but all the others are just to much for me. So I pretty much just stopped forums for a short period and now are back into a couple smaller ones. But forums are becoming a thing of the past when it comes to info, all the new info are found on blogs (just look around at all the IPCPR stuff from last week) and on social networking places like Twitter and Facebook. You will be surprised all the info you can get on them if you are following the right people.

As for any bashing that crap is just old, if that where new threads does people need to grow up!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader teedles915's Avatar

I am a one forum type guy but I do understand that everyone is different. I never say never and there may be a day when I decide to join another forum, but as of now I am very happy here.

I posted this a few months ago and for me at leatst it still rings true.....

Since joining this site I have met some of the best people that I have ever known. They have took me under their wing and mentored me in both cigars and in life. That being said I am always looking to learn more, so when I found the other forum I checked it out. I lurked around a few days and there was a vast amount of knowledge. I had almost decided to join when I came across the thread bashing puff. I read through it and honestly that made my mind up not to join the forum. I just didnt want to be a part of a forum that seemed to hate a place I loved. That doesn't mean that I don't think those people have the right to say, type, or believe whatever they want. In fact I will go as far as to say that if the Administration of that site or any site is ok with that type of rhetoric then I fully support people saying exactly what they believe. The wonderful thing about people being open and honest is that it gives me the insight to decide if I choose to associate with those people. I simply made my choice not to. And I do not begrudge anyone who chooses to. I know for a fact that there are a lot of good people on that site, many of them just have different likes and dislikes in a forum than I do. And that is 100% ok, in fact I'm glad we are all different, the world would be very boring if we were all the same.

So for those people who have chosen to make another site their cigar home, I wish them nothing but the best. But for me, right now puff is my choice.

By no means was i saying its bad to be on more fourms or one is better then the other, my point was from what ive seen that every fourms has the same info, and a lot of the same members, So Yeah i have one place i go to shop but that all that place does. But yeah this is my home till something tells me its not anymore, and this place i will give all my effort to.

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    All you have to do is look at my post count to see I was living here at one point long before it was ever Puff. Haven't really been away to long but for me this place is just to big and just keeps growing. I think there are to many sub forums, guns, cars, motorcycles etc... I can understand the coffee and drinks and even food sub forums but all the others are just to much for me. So I pretty much just stopped forums for a short period and now are back into a couple smaller ones. But forums are becoming a thing of the past when it comes to info, all the new info are found on blogs (just look around at all the IPCPR stuff from last week) and on social networking places like Twitter and Facebook. You will be surprised all the info you can get on them if you are following the right people.

As for any bashing that crap is just old, if that where new threads does people need to grow up!
    Frank the one thing in there I have to differ with is the Blog thing, there are no box passes or PIFs on blogs, Im sure I find out enough info on new sticks i need this way and have a good time and make new friends, But we all do diffrent things

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post

Some of us enjoy being on a forum for the comradeship, not the new info. In tobacco there is nothing "New" under the sun, only marketing. Unless you change the chemicals or the soil that are used to grow something then it will not change much except over decades the seed may evolve.

As far as Farcebook & TwitCrap go, you can keep them.

Forum too big? Dont read all the other sub sections. I'm not interested in guns. Does it annoy me that those threads exist? Not in the slightest. Do I have a passing interest in a Ferrari? Not at all but a BOTL is allowed to post up about them if he wants to. Be well, strive to be happy.
    Last edited by Tashaz; 08-25-2010 at 08:38 AM.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

39 04 35 N, 108 33 05 W gjcab09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    As far as Farcebook & TwitCrap go, you can keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    Forum too big? Dont read all the other sub sections. I'm not interested in guns. Does it annoy me that those threads exist? Not in the slightest. Do I have a passing interest in a Ferrari? Not at all but a BOTL is allowed to post up about them if he wants to. Be well, strive to be happy.

You would be surprised how much comradeship there is on Twitter including passes trades etc.. And when I say to big I'm not only talking sub forums but there is also a large turn over here. I can check in from month to month almost even week to week and see a thread with no posts from anybody I know. Nothing wrong with new people and they should be welcomed with open arms, but here I think there are less old and more new and I like it the other way around.

I joined other forums when most of my friends on the old CS bailed out. I wanted to still be able to talk to them. Well, the other forums sucked, so it got to the point where I stopped logging in. This is my home.
    For all the kids who'd rather flame than talk, I refuse to post.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Interesting question and we're creatures of habit in that we associate with those things that bring us comfort. Puff seems to be able to reach out and fill a lot of voids for people and while I belong to half a dozen forums I spend more time here than others because of the people. I get great information and the members here are more civil to each other. The other forums I check in with have things I am interested in as well but they don't have the missing ingredient I see here. I have friends on other forums who will only visit that one forum so for me I will stay a member there so I can keep tabs with them.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Howdy: I hope you are great.

I find myself on two cigar forums for the most part, I am also a member of a couple of bourbon forums, and a couple of motorcycle forums and one dog forum. I like to get a lot of information on things and enjoy interacting with people. Not sure why I would be exclusive to one forum when there is so much information out there. Like others have mentioned between blogs, twitter, facebook, forums it is a great time to have hobbies.

Best regards, tony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2