Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

This is a discussion on I work for a bunch of cheepskates! within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Sorry to hear it Shawn but that's why America is in the shape it is in today! Employee Employer loyalty ...

  
  1. #16

    THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar


     

    Re: I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

    Sorry to hear it Shawn but that's why America is in the shape it is in today!
    Employee Employer loyalty went out the window decades ago.
    If they can get someone for $1 less than you your history. The fat cat CEO's and higher up's line their pockets with that. Sad state of affairs when a man can't get what he worked for!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix



  2. #17

    ENIGMA Batista30's Avatar


     

    Re: I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

    Quote Originally Posted by TXsmoker View Post
    I would be taking home everything that isnt nailed down. Screw up something that costs them money. If you take a 25% pay cut, the company is gonna lose more than 25%. I worked for a machine shop that told us a week before Christmas that we wouldnt get our bonus's, so while the owner was in the Carribean for 2 weeks, we rented a truck and sold his CNC equipment in mexico. Plus I banged his daughter (she was 25, no minors for me) and emailed him the video. Screw 200 people out of their bonus, we get even. Sold his stuff for a 10th of what it was worth, but just enough to pay all our bonuses. His daughter even helped us there.
    I would laugh if this happened in a movie, but to do this and feel proud about it is a little extreme. All this proved was that he should take legal action if possible and fire you.

  3. #18

    gonna be a daddy! gibson_es's Avatar


     

    Re: I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

    Quote Originally Posted by StogieJim View Post
    Man, I dont know what you guys are worried about. I have a degree and have searched HIGH and LOW and the best I could come up with out in Tampa, is a job at starbucks...

    Im married and looking to start a family, but thats hard to do on about 10 bucks an hour (plus tips)

    I know, not getting your bonus is a kick in the ass (more so the ethics of it and not the actual 35 bucks) but damn man, at least you have a "real" job and make some sort of salary, with the chances of improving financially.

    Throw that spam out and go buy yourself a NICE Turkey!! :-) You deserve it!

    Jim
    That's tampa for you. We have the third largest unemployment rate in the country according to fox 13 news a week ago... and at the beggining of the year we were #1 in the country with an almost 13% unemployment rate... I've been told Minnesota has a good rate.. im thinking of buying a nice jacket and heading north...

    Quote Originally Posted by TXsmoker View Post
    I would be taking home everything that isnt nailed down. Screw up something that costs them money. If you take a 25% pay cut, the company is gonna lose more than 25%. I worked for a machine shop that told us a week before Christmas that we wouldnt get our bonus's, so while the owner was in the Carribean for 2 weeks, we rented a truck and sold his CNC equipment in mexico. Plus I banged his daughter (she was 25, no minors for me) and emailed him the video. Screw 200 people out of their bonus, we get even. Sold his stuff for a 10th of what it was worth, but just enough to pay all our bonuses. His daughter even helped us there.
    dayum! Can you say daddy issues?

  4. #19

    Leading Puffer Fish TXsmoker's Avatar


     

    Re: I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

    Quote Originally Posted by gibson_es View Post
    dayum! Can you say daddy issues?
    Oh yea. One of the reasons he hired me was because I was a fellow pipe smoker, and I do believe she chased after me because of the pipe as well. I blew her off for over a year before we got screwed over, that whole "dont shit where you eat" thing, but cheaping out on us made me drop that rule. As for the camera stuff, she not only knew about it, she was saying stuff straight into the camera, like "Hey daddy, guess whats slamming my a$$ right now". Im really suprised he didnt try to hunt me down, lol. We all quit before Tim got back and found his shop gone.

    There is more to it, like the reason we werent getting a bonus was because Tim had a gambling problem and blew our money. But, with no money, no equipment in his shop, and no workers, he didnt have the money to keep that addiction.

  5. #20

    Full grown Puffer Fish Barefoot's Avatar


     

    Re: I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

    I feel for you Shawn; sadly that is the nature of business today. Director level and above share the wealth or bonuses by taking from their management and hourly employees.
    It is an elitist entitlement agenda that is pervasive in current corporate structure.
    I will be enjoying the holiday season without any bonus or many of the perks I was accustomed to in the past but I can live with that.
    Having climbed the ladder to near the top and resettled at mid level; I feel much better having a soul again.
    The $35 is water off a duck's back to a moral and generous person who can hold his head high........
    All the best,

  6. #21

    ~Satori's Dad~ thebayratt's Avatar


     

    Re: I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

    Chapter Two


    MY company decided to fire, not lay-off, FIRE about 2200 employees yesturday. Mostly assistant store managers. These were mainly good people who have had alot of time in with the company and moved up through the ranks during thier "career". The bad thing was, is they had no rhyme or reason as to whom let go~ I think it was the store manager's decision and if you weren't a kiss-ass they decided to let you go. We have two or three other POS's that I would have picked out to go first at my store; but no, they pick the nice guy who did his job and more and stayed quiet. He did more work unintentionally than the others did on purpose!!

    Next thing, they are more than likely putting a few department managers on the chopping block and combining departments to where one manager would have two departments.... there goes my job.... but then again, I pass audits, not an idiot, do whatever it takes to get the job done, and have about 4years more senoirity than my "opponent" in the job.... Hopefully they choose me, but then again... im not a kiss-ass.

    But good thing, today, my boss told me I am getting a key to the store and possibly an alarm code.... So thats a plus on my part and will speed up my guy's productivity 10fold.


    It just aggrevates me and alot of others that there is no loyalty to thier employees it seems. They keep pushing me to "move up" in the company... I deffinately won't be doing that anytime soon...

    If it was my decision; I would find a POS sorry-assed hourly employee (or two) on the floor, fire him/them. Then find a POS sorry-assed dept manager and demote him/her. Then take the assistant store manager (that would get cut) and make him/her a dept manager (with a cut in pay). Then the guy who has been there longer and knows how to do things in the store will still be around for future help and won't be too disgruntal.
    Then you get rid of a POS employee who don't care, demote another POS to show him he needs to do better, and you don't loose a "seasoned veteran" employee.
    If you have a POS in your dept, it keeps a bad moral in the area; bc people get mad bc they always have to cover for him or finish his job that he is too lazy to do. Fire a POS, then moral & production may improve. Then maybe people who are mediocre at thier job will try and give a little more effort in thier job so they won't loose it.

    This today, showed that no-ones job is secure anymore, no matter what your tenior is.

    BUT WE CAN SPONSOR NASCAR NEXT YEAR!

    Rant over, feal better, thanks for reading my gripe.

  7. #22

    ENIGMA Batista30's Avatar


     

    Re: I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

    But, cheers to a well thought out and intelligent "rant".

  8. #23

    Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar


     

    Re: I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

    Can't post it because of copyright issues but here's a link to something that says it all.

    Today's Non Sequitur Comic Strip - ArcaMax Publishing

  9. #24

    ~Satori's Dad~ thebayratt's Avatar


     

    Re: I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

    Quote Originally Posted by piperdown View Post
    Can't post it because of copyright issues but here's a link to something that says it all.

    Today's Non Sequitur Comic Strip - ArcaMax Publishing
    Couldn't have said much better myself!

    Thing is, a few months ago they closed down two regional offices. Fired the staff with a measily severence package or they could reapply for another job in the company..... One woman had been with the company 25 years!!! They saved about $1mil+ doing that alone a year... now this!!

  10. #25

    Pipe Carver HWiebe's Avatar


     

    Re: I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

    Not to play the devil's advocate here but I too work for a fortune 500 company for the director in fact. I have intimate knowledge of our corporation's daily activity.

    We ran into the same thing in 2009. The corporation posted increased earnings over 2008 to the tune of $4.7B but we were forced to take a 5% paycut at quarter end. The reason for this is, large corporations diversify their business assets. They dabble in all markets to remain profitable even when the economy goes bust. For instance, investing in Alcohol and fast food when your main business is automotive. If people loose their jobs and cannot buy a new car, they are more likely to eat at fast food joints as a treat to take their minds off the economy or drink their worries away. It's basic economics.

    My point is, even though your branch of the organization had to drop the head count to stay afloat, your corporation as a whole may have been doing well. Corporations do not spread their money around to all branches. This is against certain accounting principles. It sounds cold but the goal of any company is to make money. That's the only difference between a company and a charity.

    Again, not trying to piss anyone off, just trying to let you in on the seemingly asshole decisions that corporations make.

  11. #26

    ~Satori's Dad~ thebayratt's Avatar


     

    Re: I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

    Quote Originally Posted by HWiebe View Post
    My point is, even though your branch of the organization had to drop the head count to stay afloat, your corporation as a whole may have been doing well.
    I understand what you are saying.

    The thing that gets me is we are a Fortune 50 company. (500 or 50, it don't really matter).. But we made about $832million in one quarter last year ... And they still get rid of all these people¿ It wasn't just the one @ my branch, but 2200 total people they fired... Thats about 1.25 per store company wide that got canned.
    I bet we drop out of the Fortune 50 this year!

    I understand devirsifying to stay afloat... but they should think about the people whom have been there through thick & thin and help them and can the sorry/azy people.
    It takes money to make money.... They got it, but won't let it go to easily.

    The stupid "ideas" they roll out in our store is utterly rediculous!
    They PAY someone to haul off materials that can be recycled... So that person makes money from us picking up the material, then makes more money selling the material to a recylcler.. We asked if we could take the material to a scrap yard and bring back the cash to add to our store's bottom line... not happening. It just seemed on this subject, they'd rather spend money than make money....

    They pay a paint crew every three years to paint our building... seems to me they should insist on better paint that don't have to painted over every three years... for Pete's sake, we sell paint that supposed to last 15-25 years.... USE IT!

    I find out in the next few weeks if I get a raise or not this year. I was told me and another manager scored the highest on our yearly review.... lets see how much thats worth!

  12. #27

    Nee "Tashaz" Mante's Avatar


     

    Re: I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

    Dont worry Shawn, my boss is an assh**e too!
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

  13. #28

    THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar


     

    Re: I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    Dont worry Shawn, my boss is an assh**e too!

    Yeah mine too only problem is i am self employed!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix



  14. #29

    Full grown Puffer Fish pomorider's Avatar


     

    Re: I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

    I am a self employ recruiter/head hunter and I have seen everything under the sun. There are plenty of companies that are so cheap that they can't even keep any good employee around. I understand they want more profit and squeeze every penny out, and they will do it at the expense of the employees.

    That's because it is capitalism at work. Companies are not non-profit or charity and they don't have much obligation to the employees, as long as the agreed compensations are paid out. However, being a Human Resources professional, I don't agree with the above saying and that's why we don't have good relationship with the accountants.

    We always think people should be paid for they are worth. I have turned down contracts because they just don't seem to value the service that I will provide for them. There were a few times that companies wanted me to recruit top producers for their firm, but they are only willing to pay me below market prices.

    These days, the stupid companies also like to use the economy as an excuse for paying top dollar, yet they are making money?? What's up with that? If they are closing shop even if they are making a profit, they are guilty of not letting the economy recover. Putting people on the street will only slow down the economic recovery. Government should investigate their practice and fine them heavily as they are not helping the economy.

    I hope that you are going to get a raise for all your hard work.

  15. #30

    Alpha Puffer Fish BDog's Avatar


     

    Re: I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

    Major companies are using the current state of economic affairs as an excuse to not pay employee's what they are worth. Its not an isolated practice by any means as this is becoming the standard rather than the exception.

    Many times there response to not receiving bonuses or relatively generous merit increases is that "You are lucky to even have a job and not be forced to take a pay cut".

    As if employing you is some monumental "favor". Its utter Bullshit and one of things that motivated me to start my own business and make it profitable.

    Its all about perspective and really believing that things do happen for a reason.

    Advice: The rate at which one complains openly and avidly about corporate affairs and lack of fair play is directly proportional to the rate at which one moves closer to the door.

    If comments are made about the lack of bonuses and decent pay increases try and give it a positive spin. If in a management capacity of any caliber its is important to not become one of the masses with pitch forks and torches and set an example for employee's that look for direction.

    Its a mirror everyday. What you do is mimicked by employee's.

    Care for others in a genuine fashion that you work with and reward a job well done and try and take the cash value out of the equation (easier said that done , I know).
    Because in the end with the job or not you will be able to know that you were the best person you could be throughout your career.

    In my past roles I was forced to layoff an entire department and then ultimately was lete go after I did the "dirty" work. Its a game of numbers and should not be taken personally. Our jobs were outsourced to offshore Indian counterparts.

    Keep your head up and be the one that is unaffected by these turn of events and your inner being will be much better for it.

    I wish brighter days ahead for you!
    <---- Thats my dog "Cinder" just "chillaxin" with his favorite smoking hat on The 6 thousand dollar dog!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •