Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

This is a discussion on I work for a bunch of cheepskates! within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Lets put it this way.... The "Fortune 50" Company I work for decided not to give us our bonus this ...

I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

Lets put it this way....

The "Fortune 50" Company I work for decided not to give us our bonus this year..... after they released: "reported net earnings of $404 million for the quarter... a 17.4 percent increase from the same period a year ago" Don't make too much sense to me!

It wasn't even a big bonus......... $35. Which turns out to be about $600,000 company wide.
    AFTER they "shut down many stores, and 2 regional offices". Shutting down the 2 regional offices alone saves the company about $1MILLION in payroll a year.....

I know, they don't HAVE to give it to us, but c'mon!

So Here is my 2010 Thanksgiving Dinner

Tis the season to be giving......
    I'd like to give them a piece of my mind.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader joncaputo's Avatar

Re: I work for a bunch of cheepskates!

That sucks... it will cost them more in the long run when they lose great employees to other companies.

I feel for you man, the military's trying to stiff me on my re-enlistment bonus now... *sigh*

ceste la vie...

Scotch & Cigars

Quote Originally Posted by joncaputo View Post
    That sucks... it will cost them more in the long run when they lose great employees to other companies.
    Agreed, once more jobs open up these companies are going to start losing their better employees.

Exactly Jon!!

I have been with this company for 9 years...... I have done everything I could to help "the company"............ but now, they won't help "the employee".

We thought about taking up a collection and sending the CEO a $35 Money Order with a note saying "atleast someone got thier's".

It would be a great idea for the Chairboard staff to say "We can't afford to give our employees a $35 Holiday Bonus this year; so we sold enough of our "personal" company stocks to make sure we could give the employees $20." And then make a press release about it......... you know how good that would look for them (and maybe the company); that the chairmen appreciate thier employees.....
    because right now, I know, I don't feal much appreciated!

No longer a community member.

Sorry Shawn like a slap in the face, These big companies don't get it, I see it everyday. If you was closer we could share a spam.

For $35, it becomes more of a principle thing because you can guess that the majority of the executives will be getting nice bonuses. It's unfortunate when a company chooses not to do the right thing. I hope you guys are at least having a holiday party?

I once worked for a Mortgage Company where the VP would pay us a very large bonus right out of his own paycheck. I loved the company, the people and felt valued. Unfortunately, I had no choice but to leave because there was not any more growth left for me financially in the company.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader fuente~fuente's Avatar

I feel ya Shawn... We no longer get a bonus anymore either since we were sold to a group of "investors". They don't give a piss about anything except the bottom line, plain & simple.
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie
    Coming at you from the Dirty Dirty...

Cheap Bastages!

Sorry to hear that Shawn.

Dafiddla
    "What Could be Finer, than a Spanish Cedar Liner?"

Man, I dont know what you guys are worried about. I have a degree and have searched HIGH and LOW and the best I could come up with out in Tampa, is a job at starbucks...

Im married and looking to start a family, but thats hard to do on about 10 bucks an hour (plus tips)

I know, not getting your bonus is a kick in the ass (more so the ethics of it and not the actual 35 bucks) but damn man, at least you have a "real" job and make some sort of salary, with the chances of improving financially.

Throw that spam out and go buy yourself a NICE Turkey!! :-) You deserve it!

Jim

Sounds a lot like the company I work for. $61 million evidently is not enough for the three owners to survive on, so they laid off a couple dozen more admin people, and gave the others (including me) a 25% pay cut.
    For all the kids who'd rather flame than talk, I refuse to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Batista30 View Post
    For $35, it becomes more of a principle thing because you can guess that the majority of the executives will be getting nice bonuses. .
    O yeh, the store about 30 mins away is in a metro area and has killer sales. Thier upper management team gets full bonus this year @ 40% of thier base pay! Thats about $1600-2000 EACH person and there are 5 or 6 that get that bonus...... But they won't get thier $35 Holiday Bonus either. (why care, they just got over a thousand bucks!?!??)

Quote Originally Posted by Batista30 View Post
    I hope you guys are at least having a holiday party?
    Yeh, its going to be organized by the employees. They (store management) usually fry a few turkeys for us for a meal before Thanksgiving.......... that aint happening either.
    We are having a holiday meal, organized by us employees.... I'm going to bring a can of the Turkey Spam with a "special label" on it:

2010 XXXX Employee Thanksgiving Dinner

That truly blows !!! that happened to the company i was working for last year at this time. i was there for 15 years and some other guys a hell of a lot longer, when out of the blue they told everyone no x-mas bonus, no x-mas party and no payed hollidays!! 2 days before thanksgiving!!! so we all got together and planned are own x-mas party and do you believe that the pres and VP had the balls to show up at the party!!!!! and to top it all off, they never reached in there pocket for a drink or food!!! nothing!!!!! what made it kind of worth it is the rat that told them about the party got laid off on xmas eve!!!
    "Laugh now Cry later"

Quote Originally Posted by FridayGt View Post
    I feel for you man, the military's trying to stiff me on my re-enlistment bonus now... *sigh*

ceste la vie...
    I have been through this with one of my sons. The dates for each payment on the bonus are stated in writing.
    If they are not honoring the contract, go to the jag officer, or call them, and state you will not be performing any work or requirements till you get the bonus. Tell them you want interest also.Better yet, hire a free civil service attorney, and then watch how fast the payment will come.
    Do not be afraid of repercussions. The military is a job like everything else, but even better. Everything is in writing.
    When one of my sons was deployed, I called the jag officer, and told him, I was flying to iraq on the weekend to "retrieve" my son. Withing four hours, I received a fax, saying what day the unpaid bonus will be paid to his account. I had complete p.o.a. over my sons affair, thus I could make these contacts.
    Myself being a decorated combat veteran, didnt help either, but I through that in anyway, but I do not think it was needed. Stay your ground.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by d_day View Post
    Sounds a lot like the company I work for. $61 million evidently is not enough for the three owners to survive on, so they laid off a couple dozen more admin people, and gave the others (including me) a 25% pay cut.
    I would be taking home everything that isnt nailed down. Screw up something that costs them money. If you take a 25% pay cut, the company is gonna lose more than 25%. I worked for a machine shop that told us a week before Christmas that we wouldnt get our bonus's, so while the owner was in the Carribean for 2 weeks, we rented a truck and sold his CNC equipment in mexico. Plus I banged his daughter (she was 25, no minors for me) and emailed him the video. Screw 200 people out of their bonus, we get even. Sold his stuff for a 10th of what it was worth, but just enough to pay all our bonuses. His daughter even helped us there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast