Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

What's happened to this once great country..

This is a discussion on What's happened to this once great country.. within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Didn't know where to post this thread, but here goes. As you've most likely seen, our future king, Prince Charles ...

  
  1. #1

    Maturing Puffer Fish Spectabalis's Avatar


     

    What's happened to this once great country..

    Didn't know where to post this thread, but here goes.
    As you've most likely seen, our future king, Prince Charles and Camilla were being driven to a charity event at the London Palladium the other night in the official Rolls Royce, with outriders and armed protection, at the same time as a 30,000 student demo was taking place. They were surrounded by a huge group of rioters who attacked them, throwing paint all over the car, rocking it, smashing the bullet proof windows, prodding them with sticks etc etc.
    Through all this the Royal Protection Sqad never drew their weapons or even got out of their vehicles. After the event they were driven home in an ordinary police riot van.
    What would have happened on your side of the pond?
    Makes you seriously wonder how safe we are against terrorist doesn't it.
    Roger.
    I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire.

  2. #2

    Smokin Gun's FridayGt's Avatar


     

    Re: What's happened to this once great country..

    That seems incredibly odd to me. I know in the states, the Secret Cervice doesn't play games, and growing up in the DC area, I've seen a few knuckle heads have a really bad day acting stupid in too close of a proximity.

    To be honest, it may have been more of a 15 to 30,000 equation. Somewhat of a we're outnumbered beyond belief and bullets may not be the best way to ease tensions with such limited numbers idea.
    Cars, Smoke, Homebrew, Wet Shave and a Fountain Pen. Gentlemanly pursuits.

  3. #3

    Maturing Puffer Fish Spectabalis's Avatar


     

    Re: What's happened to this once great country..

    Quote Originally Posted by FridayGt View Post
    That seems incredibly odd to me. I know in the states, the Secret Cervice doesn't play games, and growing up in the DC area, I've seen a few knuckle heads have a really bad day acting stupid in too close of a proximity.

    To be honest, it may have been more of a 15 to 30,000 equation. Somewhat of a we're outnumbered beyond belief and bullets may not be the best way to ease tensions with such limited numbers idea.
    I see you're deployed Military Jordan. You have my utmost respect, as do all serving military personel.
    I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire.

  4. #4

    Smokin Gun's FridayGt's Avatar


     

    Re: What's happened to this once great country..

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectabalis View Post
    I see you're deployed Military Jordan. You have my utmost respect, as do all serving military personel.
    Thank you kindly. I've seen quite a few of your great countrymen over here on previous deployments.
    Cars, Smoke, Homebrew, Wet Shave and a Fountain Pen. Gentlemanly pursuits.

  5. #5

    Don't call it a comeback hoosiers2006's Avatar


     

    Re: What's happened to this once great country..

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectabalis View Post
    What would have happened on your side of the pond?
    Overe here, tear gas, rubber bullets and probably riot police. But thing is over here, if people are upset they know that at some point they can try and vote the person out of office.

  6. #6

    Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Citizen Zero's Avatar


     

    Re: What's happened to this once great country..

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectabalis View Post
    Didn't know where to post this thread, but here goes.
    As you've most likely seen, our future king, Prince Charles and Camilla were being driven to a charity event at the London Palladium the other night in the official Rolls Royce, with outriders and armed protection, at the same time as a 30,000 student demo was taking place. They were surrounded by a huge group of rioters who attacked them, throwing paint all over the car, rocking it, smashing the bullet proof windows, prodding them with sticks etc etc.
    Through all this the Royal Protection Sqad never drew their weapons or even got out of their vehicles. After the event they were driven home in an ordinary police riot van.
    What would have happened on your side of the pond?
    Makes you seriously wonder how safe we are against terrorist doesn't it.
    Roger.
    Very sad. There was a time and a place when "for Queen (or King) and country" meant something. I think it's taking place worldwide though, just a global case of civil unrest. I fear things will become far worse before they get better. I imagine that within my lifetime I will see the separation between North and South here in the states.

  7. #7

    Don't call it a comeback hoosiers2006's Avatar


     

    Re: What's happened to this once great country..

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Zero View Post
    I will see the separation between North and South here in the states.
    Really? I think with the economy still not recovering the way everyone thought i towuld, citizens are upset. But its cyclical. Hopefully things will turn around.

  8. #8

    Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Citizen Zero's Avatar


     

    Re: What's happened to this once great country..

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiers2006 View Post
    Really? I think with the economy still not recovering the way everyone thought i towuld, citizens are upset. But its cyclical. Hopefully things will turn around.
    I hope so. I'm not one to hope for things like this. Frankly, I don't have a horse in the race since I am neither far right or far left. But there is such a divide between red and blue that an unfortunate outcome seems likely unless the economy makes a much faster recovery. Just my non-professional opinion.

  9. #9

    Don't call it a comeback hoosiers2006's Avatar


     

    Re: What's happened to this once great country..

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Zero View Post
    I hope so. I'm not one to hope for things like this. Frankly, I don't have a horse in the race since I am neither far right or far left. But there is such a divide between red and blue that an unfortunate outcome seems likely unless the economy makes a much faster recovery. Just my non-professional opinion.
    Funny how there is a divide yet nothing changes. I think, just my opinion, that most people just see red or blue and not whats going on. A shame with all this technology and how fast we can communicate, we still lose sight on the main topics.

  10. #10

    Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Citizen Zero's Avatar


     

    Re: What's happened to this once great country..

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiers2006 View Post
    Funny how there is a divide yet nothing changes. I think, just my opinion, that most people just see red or blue and not whats going on. A shame with all this technology and how fast we can communicate, we still lose sight on the main topics.
    Well said.

  11. #11

    Maturing Puffer Fish Spectabalis's Avatar


     

    Re: What's happened to this once great country..

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiers2006 View Post
    Overe here, tear gas, rubber bullets and probably riot police. But thing is over here, if people are upset they know that at some point they can try and vote the person out of office.
    Thanks Matt. Only trouble is, nobody in the police force including the Commisioner are voted in. They are promoted from within with no input whatsoever from the public. Same as judges etc who are put in place without any input from the citizens.
    Roger.
    I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire.

  12. #12

    THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar


     

    Re: What's happened to this once great country..

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectabalis View Post
    Thanks Matt. Only trouble is, nobody in the police force including the Commisioner are voted in. They are promoted from within with no input whatsoever from the public. Same as judges etc who are put in place without any input from the citizens.
    Roger.
    Sounds like the unions i have belonged to in my life time.
    The Teamsters, The Auto Workers, And The Carpenters.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix



  13. #13

    Don't call it a comeback hoosiers2006's Avatar


     

    Re: What's happened to this once great country..

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    Sounds like the unions i have belonged to in my life time.
    The Teamsters, The Auto Workers, And The Carpenters.
    Gotta love politics, definitely not corrupt at all. More things change the more they stay the same. At least we can still smoke in our homes, for now.

  14. #14

    Thou Shall Not Doubt Me MoreBeer's Avatar


     

    Re: What's happened to this once great country..

    Sounds like bad strategic planning if you ask me. Yeah, lets just drive right into the storm. Brilliant!
    "I'll Buy That For A Dollar"

  15. #15

    Don't call it a comeback hoosiers2006's Avatar


     

    Re: What's happened to this once great country..

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreBeer View Post
    Sounds like bad strategic planning if you ask me. Yeah, lets just drive right into the storm. Brilliant!
    Exactly, no thinking what so whatever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •