Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buying a new car rant...

This is a discussion on Buying a new car rant... within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I flocking hate it. *insert blowing brains out smiley here*...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader fuente~fuente's Avatar

Thumbs down Buying a new car rant...

I flocking hate it. *insert blowing brains out smiley here*
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie
    Coming at you from the Dirty Dirty...

No longer a community member.

Re: Buying a new car rant...

Yep. Have you tried using a car broker, I had a friend who used one it cost him $500 of course he knew what he wanted he did say it was the best experience he ever had buying a truck.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    Yep. Have you tried using a car broker, I had a friend who used one it cost him $500 of course he knew what he wanted he did say it was the best experience he ever had buying a truck.

Good Luck

Well I used to sell them at one time. I know what I'm doing, but I just hate having to go through all the red tape. It should be an enjoyable experience, but unfortunately it seems that's never the case. Every salesman I've dealt with has tried BS'ing me. My offers are very fair. I've dealt with unrealistic customers, & I'm not one. I realize they're a business & they are there to make $$$ & the salesman has got to eat, but don't try to break one off in me either.
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie

The best experience I ever had buying a car was two cars ago when I bought a Scion. I had called ahead of time and asked what they had in stock, I had already test driven one and I already had financing lined up through my credit union. From the time I got there to the time I drove off in my new car was about 35 minutes. In contrast, buying my VW Passat earlier this year I was sitting in that place for 6 hours!

Press the button Max! Breakaway500's Avatar

Always think of it as a game. I buy and sell cars every week and that is all it is,a game.
    The seller wants as much as they can get for the car,and the buyer wants to pay as little. It really is that simple. When I make an offer for a car/bike/truck,I make it as fair as I see it. If the seller says no,I usually walk,unless I really need the merchandise. If I am the seller, I listen to offers,and come up with my own walk away price.If the buyer really loves the car,they will come back and pay the price. It does not have to turn into a tug of war. I actually love shopping for cars/bikes/trucks! I buy mostly wholesale,but occasionally I will buy from a private party.They can be the most unreasonable sellers as they KNOW what their car is worth,because Kelly Blue book said so.My response is, "Then sell it to Kelly Blue book!". That usually brings them back to Earth. A car is only worth what someone else is willing to pay,no more,no less. Best of luck!
    When I think of all the good times that I've wasted..having good times...

Best experience I ever had was paying cash. It was easier than sin, and they didn't seem to mind me going back and forth between multiple dealers... hehehe. I knew I wasn't going to get a great deal, because it was a car that's really difficult to come by and I was buying it before it even got off the barge from Japan. But, given that I wasn't too upset with $700 below invoice.
    Cars, Smoke, Homebrew, Wet Shave and a Fountain Pen. Gentlemanly pursuits.

It gets simplified, when you take variables out of the equation. Things such as trade in, financing, not knowing exactly what you want.
    When I go to a dealer, I do the consumer reports print out, find out what the dealer buyback is, and try to find out , unknown buybacks.
    Its funny the last truck I purchased new (nissan 2007), I had all my info, and had a crud of a salesman. I told the salesmanager out loud, give me someone who wants to do business.
    They put me in with a young woman, who was the finance manager. (I wasnt financing, but ususally the finance person, started out as a top salesperson).
    She said, what can I do for you. I told her exactly what I wanted. The closest truck(which was very close) would need a few additions, but nothing major.
    She said what price do I want it for. So I started low, and offered her the consumer reports dealer cost, minus dealer buyback, and promotions.
    She spent some time on her calculator, and was waiting for a counter offer of a thousand more.
    Instead, she told me if I put a deposit down today, she would give me the truck for a thousand less then my asking price.
    Test drove the aforementioned vehicle, and picked it up two days later. It was easy. Do not know how I got it for so cheap, but a few years ago, suvs and trucks were not moving off the lot, and this was in the winter time.

I was looking for an accura tl a few years back, and went to about 6 dealerships, all giving me the razzle dazzle., filled with lies.
    Finally found a salesman, insisted I take the vehicle for a test drive. Over an hour, great.
    Told him what I wanted, (not many options with the tl). Said its hard to get, and checked around.
    Told me one is going to be made by acura in about 6 weeks, that meets my specs, and they could reserve it.
    Price worked out to about 500 profit for dealer, basically for doing the paperwork. I waited around five and a half weeks, and got myself another great deal.

It just takes luck and diligence and know what you want, and aware of the pricing. Everyone needs to be satisfied.

Its amazing the salespeople lack of knowledge. Some of the only had four or five models, and every question, they have to look it up? Its amazing on how some salespeople are clueless what they are selling. I am tough and expect a certain level, and when I meet my match, it goes smoothly.

Much regards Jerry

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Research is key...know what you want and start looking at invoices of what the actual cost is. Locate a dealership who is hungry for sales and get your own financing in order. I always started with Internet Sites...example Carsdirect.com as well as a few others and looked at pricing and who had the best price for what I wanted. Once I got that price I compared it to the invoice to see what was better. Once I had my info I called the dealer and actually make an appt. to see their financing people as Jerry said...these are the people who really make the deal anyway...the saleperson has to go thru his manager who then has to see the financing to even see if it's acceptable. I've saved thousands by doing this...and I don't spend all day with a sales person negotiating prices...I have my price and they either accept it or I tell em "see ya later bye...I'm off to your competitor to see if they want to make a sale."
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Cigary, have you ever used carsdirect.com and requested a quote from them? I'm in the market now for a new car (just started doing some research) and I came across this thread. After reading your post, I went to carsdirect.com and plugged in the car I was looking for and told them to get me their best quote. I'll try and see how that compares to the local dealer that I am working with right now.

Quote Originally Posted by miken1967 View Post
    Cigary, have you ever used carsdirect.com and requested a quote from them? I'm in the market now for a new car (just started doing some research) and I came across this thread. After reading your post, I went to carsdirect.com and plugged in the car I was looking for and told them to get me their best quote. I'll try and see how that compares to the local dealer that I am working with right now.
    I bought an Isuzu Trooper with Carsdirect.com. I went onto the website and did a search for the pricing and then they listed dealers who would accept that pricing. I started calling places and made appointments and went to the closest one and got ahold of a salesperson. He asked me what color I wanted and I told him and he did a search for what I wanted and tailored it in after locating it. Bought it the next day. I did research like you did and knew my pricing before and after talking to a few of the dealers just ask them if they will honor the price you have online...they either will or won't. If you know what you want it makes it easier cuz they will want to add options and crap which drives up their comissions....same with financing and wanting to sell you additional warranties...upgrades,,etc etc. Don't fall for it,,,get your own financing and it will save you a ton. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
    I bought an Isuzu Trooper with Carsdirect.com. I went onto the website and did a search for the pricing and then they listed dealers who would accept that pricing. I started calling places and made appointments and went to the closest one and got ahold of a salesperson. He asked me what color I wanted and I told him and he did a search for what I wanted and tailored it in after locating it. Bought it the next day. I did research like you did and knew my pricing before and after talking to a few of the dealers just ask them if they will honor the price you have online...they either will or won't. If you know what you want it makes it easier cuz they will want to add options and crap which drives up their comissions....same with financing and wanting to sell you additional warranties...upgrades,,etc etc. Don't fall for it,,,get your own financing and it will save you a ton. Good luck!
    Gary is pretty much spot on... Thing is, I'm buying used. The vehicle is not exactly something your going to find everywhere. It's a Toyota FJ Cruiser 4WD. It's actually in Cumming, GA. Gary, right by your neck of the woods! It's the closest one to me that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for without having to drive a bagillion miles to pick it up.

Your right on the financing too Gary. Financed through the credit union for 4.5%. You get pre-approved & you at least have a little leverage there. Let's say you get financed at the dealership at say 7%... There's a possibility your loan got bought at 5%, & the dealership will tell you your loan got bought at 7%...They'll make 2% off you on the back end of the sale in the financing.
    The salesman is usually just a liaison between you & the sales manager... Both of them want to hold gross though...
    Do as much negotiating online & on the phone with the internet manager as possible, & get as many ducks in a row as you can before you have to go to the lot. Invoice price is pretty much BS, just because it's on there doesn't mean that's what the dealership paid for the vehicle.
    Some of the add-ons after you agree to price & head into the finance office like Gap insurance, interior stain protection, whatever......can be useful, but you do need to be careful your not going to overpay.
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie

Thanks guys. I am supposed to get a call from them on Monday. They actually e-mailed me and called the house last night - just to tell me that they will be calling me back on Monday -

I'll let you know how I make out.

--mike

Quote Originally Posted by fuente~fuente View Post
    Gary is pretty much spot on... Thing is, I'm buying used. The vehicle is not exactly something your going to find everywhere. It's a Toyota FJ Cruiser 4WD. It's actually in Cumming, GA. Gary, right by your neck of the woods! It's the closest one to me that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for without having to drive a bagillion miles to pick it up.

Your right on the financing too Gary. Financed through the credit union for 4.5%. You get pre-approved & you at least have a little leverage there. Let's say you get financed at the dealership at say 7%... There's a possibility your loan got bought at 5%, & the dealership will tell you your loan got bought at 7%...They'll make 2% off you on the back end of the sale in the financing.
    The salesman is usually just a liaison between you & the sales manager... Both of them want to hold gross though...
    Do as much negotiating online & on the phone with the internet manager as possible, & get as many ducks in a row as you can before you have to go to the lot. Invoice price is pretty much BS, just because it's on there doesn't mean that's what the dealership paid for the vehicle.
    Some of the add-ons after you agree to price & head into the finance office like Gap insurance, interior stain protection, whatever......can be useful, but you do need to be careful your not going to overpay.
    Yep,,Cumming is right up the road. I've seen a lot of the FJ Cruisers around and I'd have gotten one except I barely put on miles on my Trooper...it will be 11 years old and barely has 64,000 miles on it.

Used Cars Sales are a whole different hiway...you really have to be on your toes when dealing in that area. I have since learned that I will never buy NEW again only because you can get the same car a year or two older and let the dealer take the depreciation instead of you. The thousands you save ( literally thousands and depending on the model could even be closer to 5K....you take the savings and buy a bumper to bumper warranty for the next 5-10 years and still have money left over.) This gives you a better warranty rather than the dealership warranty of 3 to 5 years which usually isn't bumper to bumper but degrades after your initial 36-48 month warranty. I bought one for my 99 BMW 328I ( this thing is like brand new )and after it got paid off in 2004 I got a 5 year extended b/b warranty and got another one last year for another 5 years. Instead of buying a new car ( same type for $40K I can keep mine new for just $1,200 for another 5 years. Do I care that it will be 15 years old....lol,,,hell no because I am driving a car that runs perfect and only costs me pennies to run while others are paying tons a year on something that depreciates and costs them dearly ) This is what I have learned in my 56 years....buy something you really like and keep it running new...buy the bumper to bumper warranty every 5 years and save yourself literally 10's of thousands of dollars over the term.

Well I pretty much got this nailed down now. Gonna head up to Gary's stompin' grounds in Hotlanta with a check & pick it up tomorrow. Hopefully it all goes smooth... They still are telling me my tax here is 4.?% when it's only 3.75% here where i live, so I'll have to get that ironed out when I get there. Other than that, it should be good to go. Wish me luck!

I still hate the whole process...
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie

Master Illusione-a-Tatist Sarge's Avatar

I don't know that's I'd go through a dealership again. It is a pain in the ass and everyone wants their cash while raping you for yours. My last two have been from private sellers and it's so much smoother and easier. You just have to be a little more cautious I guess...

anyway, good luck tomorrow! Hope everything goes quick and smooth for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast