Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A tire shortage??? WTF

This is a discussion on A tire shortage??? WTF within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; So I need to buy new tires, which sux, but I gotta do it. So I go to a few ...

Don't call it a comeback hoosiers2006's Avatar

Angry A tire shortage??? WTF

So I need to buy new tires, which sux, but I gotta do it. So I go to a few tires shops and they give me a few quotes. Last time I bought tires was 5 years ago and for 4 it was $330.00. This time, Im looking at $500.00 and apparently theres a waiting list. Im not talking about low profile tires or anything special. How in the hell do we have a rubber shortage?

Master Illusione-a-Tatist Sarge's Avatar

Re: A tire shortage??? WTF

Quote Originally Posted by hoosiers2006 View Post
    So I need to buy new tires, which sux, but I gotta do it. So I go to a few tires shops and they give me a few quotes. Last time I bought tires was 5 years ago and for 4 it was $330.00. This time, Im looking at $500.00 and apparently theres a waiting list. Im not talking about low profile tires or anything special. How in the hell do we have a rubber shortage?

Lol sounds like some BS. Or they just have to many orders to fill so they're running a waiting list. Maybe just bad business and they were ill prepared for the onslaught of orders that would come w/ Winter... Come up here by me. They'll have you in and out the same hour, well same day @ least they're pretty busy here as well. Chances are they just don't have the storage room to store sufficient supply to meet the demand of the city. I dunno. all I know is I walked through one of the shops up here recently and there's a well supplied warehouse from Truck to Low Pros, from Snows to Summers. There's an arsenal of rubber and there's no shortage here.

I figured it was bad business but man I've been to 4 or 5 retailers and everyone is sold out. Even Firestone told me it would be a few weeks. Once I get mine I know they'll go on sale.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Mr. Slick's Avatar

I'm not sure about a shortage but rubber has gone up in $.

I'm in the same boat as you Matt - I'm actually getting tires tommorow wich totally blows my plans for buying myself a bigger humi for Christmas.

I was like WTF when I got a price quote as well. Last time I bought tires (for another car) they were low profile, Z rated etc. The car I'm buying for now has just regular ole tires and they're almost as much as the high performance tires were for my other car a couple years back.
    Why am I wasting my time talking to an A-hole like you when I could be doing something much more dangerous... like rearrageing my humidor.

"So... you need tires, eh? That's good, that's good. My sister needs help with rent."
    Let's have a spelling contest.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Max_Power's Avatar

My tires, 3 or 4 years ago were $125 a piece. Last year I had to replace 2. $180 a piece. This year i checked recently, $210 each. And the factory is also currently on hiatus from making the size I use, so they're extremely tough to find.

yeah it's going to cost me over 1k for tires for these rims I got come Spring... Tires definitely aren't cheap...

Although I do want to point out. You still need to find someone to mount/install but check Tire Rack. They are considerably lower than anywhere I've checked locally. I think it was like $850 to the door where as in town it's going to cost $1250 & the other place wanted $400 a tire & said that's all they could get in those sizes. So definitely look up Tire Rack and check out what they have.

Yah I checked Tire Rack and might consider going that route. I was just told a minute ago by a goodyear dealer that a lot of the bigger tire companies were buying their tires from China and a lot of them were defective. Not sure if this is true or not but at any rate looks like Im spending 500 to get four tires. Guess its cheaper than wrecking my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosiers2006 View Post
    Yah I checked Tire Rack and might consider going that route. I was just told a minute ago by a goodyear dealer that a lot of the bigger tire companies were buying their tires from China and a lot of them were defective. Not sure if this is true or not but at any rate looks like Im spending 500 to get four tires. Guess its cheaper than wrecking my truck.
    well that depends, how much is your Deductible? jk

definitely check out Tire Rack. Might be a good opportunity to save a couple hundred and buy a few cigars while you're at it. Later you'll thank me for that valuable bit of advice.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader jeepthing's Avatar

I work in a dealership that is also a Tire Rack Dealer. There is a shortage of tires , but not due to a rubber shortage. All the tire manufacturers in the last year or so, have laid many employee's off. According to some the tire manufacture reps that stop in, the union contracts on most of those laid off work state that they must be off a year before they are called back to work or the manufacturers must pay them back pay from the lay off date to call back date. So there not calling back workers. Also they must meet the contract demands to automakers first, before any tires go out. It s sucks, hard to sell tires when you don't have them
    Whatever it is -- I didn't do it!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Just got thru buying a set of Pirellis for mine...$119 each but its all BS after that which drives the price up. Warranty, misc. BS on top of warranties. balancing, warranty in case the sidewall blows up, after care for rotation and my out the door price hit $700 pretty quick for 245/ 45-16....last set I bought lasted for 50K miles...so guess that is pretty good.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Well I purchased my set of four today for the low price of $450.00. Went to a TireBarn and they had four left so I bought and had them installed. Happy I didnt $500 so I have $50 (or more) left for cigars for the holidays.

I'm looking for tire replacement as well. Have always ordered from Tire Rack. This time, I might try to get some warranty cover on my tires, so I might go to my local Michelin Dealer to exchange it for a discount. It'll probably be around $700 by the time I'm finished.

I have a Jeep Larado with 17" and had 1 bad tire so tried to find tires but holy crap they are expensive now. Got lucky on craigslist someone with money wanted slimer tires to save gas on their vehicle to be green, so I got them for 150.00 total and installed for 40.00 and a six pack.(little mexican tire shop nearby) I gave them the beer after they were done but it seems they had been drinking already so one tire had the white wall lettering out and the other three in. Went back and they swapped it out fast.
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Just be glad you're buying tires for a car and not a motorcycle. Tires for my bike run almost as much as tires for a car (sometimes more), and I get 10,000 miles max.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast