Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Another Rough One

This is a discussion on Another Rough One within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; As some of you may know, I work at a cigar shop. For those of you who don't know what ...

Another Rough One

As some of you may know, I work at a cigar shop.
    For those of you who don't know what that is like, I sympathize.

Anyone who has ever worked in the customer service industry will understand this:

Losing a regular is like losing a family member. They see you every day, they talk to you, ask about your life, etc... They connect. Some even go as far as to give good counsel. They have taken time out of their life to further their knowledge about you. That really means something. They're not always there JUST for the cigar or card game, they might have been thinking about you and want to know what might be happening in your life.

So what do you do when you've been told that they have passed away?

I lost 3 regulars this past December, and it has really taken a toll on me. My heart, mind, and spirit can really feel it. I feel like a high school kid in an NFL game. Beaten, broken, and totally confused.

Should you develop meaningful relationships with customers or just sell them the product?

Also, my grandmother who has been battling breast cancer for several years, I believe, is in the end phase, she has retreated to Tijuana, Mexico, to The Oasis of Hope.

What bad time to quit drinkin'.......
    Last edited by Wiseguy1982; 01-06-2011 at 02:18 AM.
    You might find that smoke blown out clears your mind of shadows within.

Re: Another Rough One

I have no experience with customer service or retail.....but I will offer my advice for whatever its worth and say that the good times you share with these people should be worth the pain you now feel.... As its more likely for you to run into a person who ruins your day versus the few that make your day. Also on the flip side of that judging solely by your thread Im sure youve made their day more than a few times as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kapathy View Post
    I have no experience with customer service or retail.....but I will offer my advice for whatever its worth and say that the good times you share with these people should be worth the pain you now feel.... As its more likely for you to run into a person who ruins your day versus the few that make your day. Also on the flip side of that judging solely by your thread Im sure youve made their day more than a few times as well.
    Thank you for that, I definitely think it was worth the pain. However, I am happy to say that no one ever ruins my day at my job. They come close, but never totally ruin it.

The only thing that ruined my day today was when I found out that my Dad and stepmother of 26 years are getting divorced.
    Last edited by Wiseguy1982; 01-06-2011 at 02:32 AM.
    You might find that smoke blown out clears your mind of shadows within.

Maturing Puffer Fish msblann1960's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy1982 View Post
    Should you develop meaningful relationships with customers or just sell them the product?
    I would develop meaningful relationships...life's too short to do otherwise.
    Sounds like that's what you are doing anyway, and I think that's great.

Sorry for your losses. I feel ya man. Life can really suck at times.

Cherish the memories...
    I always wanted to be somebody, guess I should have been more specific.

Make as many friends and relationships as possible. Life is too short to not be happy, and make others happy. There is a saying that i live by. A life not lived for others, is a life not worth living.

It can be applied in so many ways. Stay strong!

Should you develop meaningful relationships with customers
    Damn right you should. The more real friendships we build in life the greater our view on the world and what it has to give. To my mind many find it easy to circulate amongst themselves & espouse their view of life (Just take a look at any forum for example). This is a limit to how much life can truly be enjoyed. The pain that we experience at the end of said relationships should be celebrated methinks as it teaches you just how much that relationship really gave your soul. Be well my friend.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Press the button Max! Breakaway500's Avatar

I treat my customers with the same respect they treat me with.After 20 years, the ones I still have are like family.When they need something,I go out of my way to accomodate them,and I am sure it shows.I don't do my job for just the money. Helping people out in a field that is very misunderstood it part of my reward.The trust my customer inspire in me is what keeps me coming to the job every day. When they leave,it is hard.I actually keep momentos...you know a license plate or a piston or two.. I fix cars for a living for those that don't know.
    If you don't feel for your customers,they will never trust you. If this does not matter to you,so be it.
    When I think of all the good times that I've wasted..having good times...

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway500 View Post
    I treat my customers with the same respect they treat me with.After 20 years, the ones I still have are like family.When they need something,I go out of my way to accomodate them,and I am sure it shows.I don't do my job for just the money. Helping people out in a field that is very misunderstood it part of my reward.The trust my customer inspire in me is what keeps me coming to the job every day. When they leave,it is hard.I actually keep momentos...you know a license plate or a piston or two.. I fix cars for a living for those that don't know.
    If you don't feel for your customers,they will never trust you. If this does not matter to you,so be it.
    I machine engines and that was very nicely said!
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy1982 View Post
    As some of you may know, I work at a cigar shop.
    For those of you who don't know what that is like, I sympathize.

Anyone who has ever worked in the customer service industry will understand this:

Losing a regular is like losing a family member. They see you every day, they talk to you, ask about your life, etc... They connect. Some even go as far as to give good counsel. They have taken time out of their life to further their knowledge about you. That really means something. They're not always there JUST for the cigar or card game, they might have been thinking about you and want to know what might be happening in your life.

So what do you do when you've been told that they have passed away?

I lost 3 regulars this past December, and it has really taken a toll on me. My heart, mind, and spirit can really feel it. I feel like a high school kid in an NFL game. Beaten, broken, and totally confused.

Also, my grandmother who has been battling breast cancer for several years, I believe, is in the end phase, she has retreated to Tijuana, Mexico, to The Oasis of Hope.

What bad time to quit drinkin'.......

Its a tough time my brother hang in there drinking isn't going to fix anything. I am sorry for your losses and shall pray for you and your grandmother.
    Many like Doctors for example don't bond closely to patients for just that reason.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by mrmikey32 View Post
    Make as many friends and relationships as possible. Life is too short to not be happy, and make others happy. There is a saying that i live by. A life not lived for others, is a life not worth living.

It can be applied in so many ways. Stay strong!
    +1
    Heartache is inevitable, but it's no reason to avoid getting close to others. The satisfaction derived from making someone happy is far greater than the the emptiness of a solitary lifestyle.

I'm sorry you lost a friend, Russ. Hope you feel better soon.

Hang in there, there is always rough spots in life.

Mrmikey has it put beautifully.

Hope your spirit revives soon. Enjoy the good memories, forgive/forget the bad and enjoy the rest of your journey.

Don't call it a comeback hoosiers2006's Avatar

[QUOTE=Wiseguy1982;3077844]

By you developing a meaningful relationship with them, you added to their lives and I'm sure the enjoyment. By them being regulars, you can take that as a sign you are doing something right and would suggest to keep doing what your doing.

I'll say a prayer for your grandmother and hopefully you can avoid a drink. God bless.
    Pic is Reds owner Bob Castellini enjoying a cigar in the clubhouse after winning the division. Take that statewide smoking ban!

Puffer Fish with many spikes CaptainBlenderman's Avatar

I'm sorry things have been so tough, Russ. But I'm with these guys...definitely side with the meaningful relationships. I used to work in retail and loved the regulars. One of them is still one of my best friends. Totally worth it...as hard as it is to lose them. None of us would trade our family and friendships for anything, including having to deal with tragedy associated with them. People you get to know at work are not necessarily going to be any different. That's always the risk you take in any relationship. It's a worthwhile risk though, if you as me...