Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Puff poetry_intro

This is a discussion on Puff poetry_intro within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Ok, so April is National Poetry Month! And as some may know, I am an English teacher; however, I'm on ...

Home Brewin' Herfer doomXsaloon's Avatar

Puff poetry_intro

Ok, so April is National Poetry Month! And as some may know, I am an English teacher; however, I'm on Spring Break! No students in class, but a man's gotta hone his craft! (And I do actually like poetry!)

So, piperdown got us ready with his "Limericks for Tony" thread. I'm going to keep things going....throughout the month of April I'll intro a new poetic form and y'all can have at it...explore the form; think of concise, clever, descriptive words; count syllables; make some rhymes; have some fun....think about favorite sticks, favorite puffers, bombs, sublime smoking experiences, make s#*T up, and have fun!

So, the first form is one many of us know. Pretty straight-forward and approachable....c'mon we remember these from grade school--5-7-5!! Yes, it's the haiku!!

So, a brief intro from Poets.org and then we're ready! And don't worry....these will not be graded, so just relax and post yr poems!! (And post as many as you like!!)

A traditional Japanese haiku is a three-line poem with seventeen syllables, written in a 5/7/5 syllable count. Often focusing on images from nature, haiku emphasizes simplicity, intensity, and directness of expression.

Haiku began in thirteenth-century Japan as the opening phrase of renga, an oral poem, generally 100 stanzas long, which was also composed syllabically. The much shorter haiku broke away from renga in the sixteenth-century, and was mastered a century later by Matsuo Basho, who wrote this classic haiku:

An old pond!
    A frog jumps in--
    the sound of water.

*Note: This example doesn't illustrate the 5-7-5; I think it's due to the translation to English....some syllables got lost along the way!

Other examples from the site:

follow that airplane
    of course I'm high this is
    an emergency

wind rain you and me
    went looking for a new house
    o the grass grows loud
    Last edited by doomXsaloon; 04-05-2012 at 09:08 AM.
    "Any cigar smoker is a friend, because I know how he feels." --Alfred de Musset

Re: Puff poetry_intro

FOAB, Skull & Bones--
    Last night in the Doom Saloon...
    Old Salty, and rum.

Viaje

FATHER OF ALL BOMBS:
    Stout and strong; spicy (and pricey!)
    Nubbed you to the end!

Quote Originally Posted by doomXsaloon View Post
    Viaje

FATHER OF ALL BOMBS:
    Stout and strong; spicy (and pricey!)
    Nubbed you to the end!
    oops, had to revise 2nd line....no counting before coffee!

FATHER OF ALL BOMBS:
    Stout and strong; spicy (pricey!)
    Nubbed you to the end!

they just keep comin'....

Puff

puff.com forum
    community of brothers,
    sisters, of the leaf

Haiku? You can do!
    These are mine, but where are yours?
    Poetry on Puff!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ten08's Avatar

cigars in drybox
    await their imminent fate
    tobacco death row

Yeah! That's the spirit! MORE MORE! MORE!