Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

One of those days... And how a good cigar can make it right

This is a discussion on One of those days... And how a good cigar can make it right within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Hell of a day. Woke up, quickly drank coffee, almost as it was water and hurried to get ready for ...

One of those days... And how a good cigar can make it right

Hell of a day.

Woke up, quickly drank coffee, almost as it was water and hurried to get ready for job interview. The first impression is so important they say... 30 seconds that predetermine how the HR manager will see you for the rest of the interview. So I take care not to be too late and show up exacly on time. I enter a messy office, full of unboxed equipment and dirt spread all around. Fine. I greet and handshake the guy. It felt almost like handshaking a dead fish, no vigor, no energy, no enthusiasm. Well, he's an IT guy after all, they are known to be a little on the shy side, I say to myself and ask him: "So, did the company just move in?" I learn that they are there for 12 years already. I immediately knew how this interview will end. It didn't really take sixth sense to see where the company is standing and to see through their (non existant) strategy. Checking the publicly available data revealed 2 regular employees in the company (and unknown number of contractors), hinting a young company that will hire people who will help the business grow and who will take multiple responsibilities on their shoulders. Couldn't have been more wrong. So we talk and find out I might not have all the required engineering knowledge they look for. It's fairly normal to allow engineers in this field few months to learn to use the tools and technologies company works with, any schooling and learning period is usually, even though paid less, always seen as an investment into the human resources. But not by them. I was told that they want someone for very long period, for "years and years", but I will be studying at home in my free time and do real work there from day 0. Fine. We already start to see how much they value their employees and what their HR strategy is.
    But this is where it really starts to get interesting. A wife of this guy (second employee) enters and decides to take over the interview. Weirdly enough, one of her first questions, asked in hysterical and anti-smoke nazi way is "do you smoke?". No. I don't smoke cigarettes and you won't have to pay me during breaks, when I'm "non-productive", nor will you have to smell my smoke. This one almost made my blood boil, but I remained calm and survived to the end of the interview. They will call, they say. Fine. It'll be a call left to be answered.
    To make the day perfect I go to have follow-up root canal procedure. Dentist tells me I might develop a reaction this night, swell and in such case tooth will have to be reopened.
    But I'm sitting on the balcony right now, thorougly enjoying Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve with a glass of coke. The events of the day slip in to the past, as seemlessly as wind blows away the morning mist. The burden of the day is over and a fine cigar can always turn the day for better.

Re: One of those days... And how a good cigar can make it right

sorry to hear Marko, sounds like a frustrating interview. glad a cigar could make things right (if only temporarily)!