Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

9/11/12 what a day....

This is a discussion on 9/11/12 what a day.... within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; As some of you may know I lost my Grandpa just recently, and of course they decided to have his ...

No longer a community member.

9/11/12 what a day....

As some of you may know I lost my Grandpa just recently, and of course they decided to have his service on 9/11. He served his country for many years in the Air Force so it was appropriate for his burial to be that day. I have been to a lot of funerals but I will say the Military is always the most honoring. So the day started off when I got off work and help the crews get ready for our 9/11 memorial ground breaking ceremony (we have a piece of the steel from the WTC for our memorial) then off to my Grandpas funeral. Not too many good pictures as you can imagine it was hard to take any. I was humbled by how many people showed up to honor my Grandpa and this picture doesn't do any justice what so ever but there at least 40 cars filled with people.

During the drive in I was able to take a picture of the other men and women who are laid to rest here for serving their country.

During the service I was fine emotionally but when they brought out the flag, did the gun shots, then played the bugle I started to loose it as most people did. The part that was really tough was when they folded the flag up and handed it to my Grandmother. The family in the front row really was touched by that part.

Anyways after all that we went back to my parents house for a gathering where I was able to snap a quick picture of my Grandpas picture and flag.

Ok so that's it for the bad stuff....

Thanks for letting me share

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Re: 9/11/12 what a day....

Quote Originally Posted by skfr518 View Post
    Ok so that's it for the bad stuff....

Thanks for letting me share
    Brad, there's no "bad stuff" there.

By your own account he was a great man, and has left a wonderful legacy. He loved God. He loved his family. He served his country with honor. And he was obviously well loved and admired for the man he was.

I remember bawling like a baby when they handed my grandmother the flag. It's a completely natural reaction to the symbolic gesture honoring a great man.

May he rest in peace, and may God grant you comfort as you grieve your loss.

Thanks for sharing the good stuff.
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Puffer Fish with many spikes zephead61's Avatar

What a great tribute to a true hero. So sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.

No longer a community member.

Sorry for your loss Buddy. Nice to have an honest to goodness hero as a Grampa though dude, Looks like a great ceremony!

I'm watching you.

It looks like a moving tribute happened for many great men yesterday, your grandpa included.
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

A special tribute for a special man. Treasure the memories, Brad. He served his country well. Thank you for sharing, brother.

Brad you know how I feel about you as well as men and women who give their all to make this world a better place...hold your head up and be proud to come from a bloodline of a hero. Nothing bad in that at all. Prayers for you and yours during these difficult times.

sounds like a great service Brad, sorry for the loss brother.

R.I.P. Old Soldier, and Thank You!
    Dale