Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hey Texas People

This is a discussion on Hey Texas People within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Wow, you guys chill! Yeah, I'm a Kentucky native and we happily take barbs and jabs at our fellow Kentuckians. ...

Alpha Puffer Fish Damselnotindistress's Avatar

Re: Hey Texas People

Wow, you guys chill! Yeah, I'm a Kentucky native and we happily take barbs and jabs at our fellow Kentuckians. My first boyfriend was a Texan. I had an attitude toward Texans for awhile (not necessarily because of him), but I've had occasion to make the acquaintance of enough Texans to be eased off that outlook because they were plenty polite - mostly! On my job I have to make calls all over the nation. I got a Texas deputy sheriff on the phone and since I'm retired law enforcement I commented on the number of executions down there. I said to him, "Y'all are executing your condemned on a conveyor belt down there, aren't ya!?" And he said, "Well, we have to be convinced beyond all doubt that this person will kill again. We have to be convinced beyond all shadow of a doubt this person will live to kill again! And if you kill a child or a police officer you're GONE!" And he too turned out to be a pleasant Texan. I've only been through Brownsville in 1980 on my way to Los Angeles. For the time I was there you do get this defiant mood and feeling of being cut off from the rest of the country like, "This is US! We're the Lone Star state and we're our own land and Country!"
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill everytime

Puffer Fish with some spikes border bandit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Damselnotindistress View Post
    Wow, you guys chill! Yeah, I'm a Kentucky native and we happily take barbs and jabs at our fellow Kentuckians. My first boyfriend was a Texan. I had an attitude toward Texans for awhile (not necessarily because of him), but I've had occasion to make the acquaintance of enough Texans to be eased off that outlook because they were plenty polite - mostly! On my job I have to make calls all over the nation. I got a Texas deputy sheriff on the phone and since I'm retired law enforcement I commented on the number of executions down there. I said to him, "Y'all are executing your condemned on a conveyor belt down there, aren't ya!?" And he said, "Well, we have to be convinced beyond all doubt that this person will kill again. We have to be convinced beyond all shadow of a doubt this person will live to kill again! And if you kill a child or a police officer you're GONE!" And he too turned out to be a pleasant Texan. I've only been through Brownsville in 1980 on my way to Los Angeles. For the time I was there you do get this defiant mood and feeling of being cut off from the rest of the country like, "This is US! We're the Lone Star state and we're our own land and Country!"
    I work in brownsville, nothing has changed from your comment about it, even though it's 30 years later. Why would you take brownsville to get to LA if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by hardcz View Post
    I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Must be a Texas thing.
    Neither do I. I had to google Texas slang. That's what I found. Not too many people with Texas attitude where I'm at.

Quote Originally Posted by border bandit View Post
    I work in brownsville, nothing has changed from your comment about it, even though it's 30 years later. Why would you take brownsville to get to LA if you don't mind me asking?
    I was on the Greyhound (didn't mind it then) and purposely took the scenic route on the way! I was advised about the length of time it would take to that but hey - you only live once unless you're a Hindu!

I was on the Greyhound (didn't mind it then) and purposely took the scenic route on the way! I was advised about the length of time it would take to that but hey - you only live once unless you're a Hindu!
    That is a hell of a scenic route! That's the southern most city in Texas, whole different world down here.

Quote Originally Posted by border bandit View Post
    That is a hell of a scenic route! That's the southern most city in Texas, whole different world down here.
    I wasn't there long and I believe I saw only Mexican Texans while there. I do recall seeing the movie theater there that was featuring Frank Langella's "Dracula". I'd seen it a million times (literally - he made my heart do funny things!) and preferred to visit the city than sit in a theater.

I've only been through Brownsville in 1980 on my way to Los Angeles. For the time I was there you do get this defiant mood and feeling of being cut off from the rest of the country like, "This is US! We're the Lone Star state and we're our own land and Country!"
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. A friend told me about this TV show he was watching where there was a global nuclear war, and Texas ended up being like F. U. to everyone, bringing about it's own military and declaring itself it's own country. Just saying, it's not only me with these thoughts.

I'm watching you.

I love Texas because of MD Anderson Cancer Center. Best damn hospital in the whole world.
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

That's exactly what I'm talking about. A friend told me about this TV show he was watching where there was a global nucleat war, and Texas ended up being like F. U. to everyone, bringing about it's own military and declaring itself it's own country. Just saying, it's not only me with these thoughts.
    Texas has pretty much relied on our independence. Thats why we pretty much have our own power grid while the rest of the nation is linked up to 2 power grids. The show you mention "Jericho" (highly underrated IMHO) centered on an internal terrorist attack that wiped out major cities command structures and utilities. Without central government Utah tried to become new capital....east coast was more badly hurt and was struggling to regroup Texas reclaimed independence. They were basically the deciding vote on which capital would be the true capital...since Texas has many military bases it had the largest free standing army.

To those who don't like Texas that's fine by me...they don't need to come here. Our state ain't broke or bankrupt like many out there. We got some of the most diverse industries in the country. There are some parts of the state I like more than others but there is no other state I would rather live.
    Boycotting Dr. Pepper cause they killed Dublin Dr.Pepper

How Texans view the USA

I've had a couple Texas girlfriends so I learned a little history of the Lone Star state. They had a tough fight on their hands to get independence from the Spanish and then to fight off the Comanche. Texans are independent and tough in a good natured way. Different in style from the grizzled, taciturn New Englanders I grew up around.

And to top it off, they have the good sense to return home after their vacation here; unlike some folks from other states who stay and try to turn us into another failed utopia like the one they ran from.

Overall Texans are a fine bunch; boisterous, happy go lucky, and with a mind of their own.
    "The sky might not be falling but the clouds are rolling in and freedom is on the run." tpharkman ..,, "The future ain't what it used to be." Yogi Berra

Some haters here. Texas is great. We have a rich history, having been a part of six different countries, maybe the best job market in the US and the San Antonio Spurs. What do you have? If Texas is so lame, how come every other Californian and Michiganite is moving here?

Look if you are ever down this way, let me show you around and if you have any taste at all you will love this place.

I have been out to Dallas and Westlake TX several times in the last year. Never had a bad experience.

Puffer Fish with some spikes RetiredNavyIC's Avatar

OH and this pic kind of summarizes how I think everyone from Texas feels about the rest of the world... is it right?
    Uh...., no.

Alpha Puffer Fish

post deleted
    Last edited by FWTX; 09-18-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast