Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

So long, Endeavour and all the shuttles

This is a discussion on So long, Endeavour and all the shuttles within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I took my son to Disneyland yesterday with a friend. We stood around Main Street, USA and I told them ...

I'm watching you.

So long, Endeavour and all the shuttles

I took my son to Disneyland yesterday with a friend. We stood around Main Street, USA and I told them stories of when my dad took me to see the shuttle land at Edwards AFB, of when my dad snuck me on the flight line to watch the 747 mate up with the shuttle to take it back to Florida, of my dad getting to ride back to Florida with the shuttle once.

We talked about technological advances that have come about through the shuttle program. It was great because other people around us started chiming in with their stories. It was like a community came together for a few hours to reminisce and share a piece of history. The excitement on all the kids' faces as we shared science and history with them was priceless. I don't care what politician said what -- I saw a dozen kids show a genuine interest in aerospace, engineering and math yesterday in the middle of Disneyland as we watched the shuttle carrier dips its wings and let us say goodbye.

It's not every day you get to celebrate the end of an era. I'm really glad I took two 12 year old boys to a great public place to do this instead of watching it on TV.

"Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Puffer Fish with some spikes shakinghorizons's Avatar

Re: So long, Endeavour and all the shuttles

That is an INCREDIBLE photo!!! I look forward to teaching my kids about has happened in my lifetime.

I'm watching you.

Thanks! I literally had 3 seconds to shoot as many frames as I could get!
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

No longer a community member.

Glad you caught the farewell Jessica. There is nothing like seeing that in person. I remember the time years ago I was surfing across from the main gate at Patrick Air Force Base (2nd light to the locals) and the piggy back pair came flying up the coast.. returning to its launch pad at Cape Canaveral A.F.S. my once in a lifetime opportunity.

Around here the entire community would drop everything and head to the beach to watch the spectacular shuttle night launches.. gonna miss that a lot.

Thanks for sharing, Jessica. The end of an era that was so important. It makes me sad whenever I think about it.
    I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.
    ―Joe Walsh

Rob,
    I got to see my fair share of night launches from the other coast. Alway a spectacular sight. I even had the privilege of building a few parts tat went on the shuttles. Those launches were the ultimate "Atta boy! Job well done!" for me.
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT