Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

This economy STILL sucks...

This is a discussion on This economy STILL sucks... within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Well, things have been going pretty good, finally became a homeowner last month after being in the same apartment for ...

This economy STILL sucks...

Well, things have been going pretty good, finally became a homeowner last month after being in the same apartment for 13+ years, 3 of them with my 5 year old son I have full custody of... Got a fantastic job about 3 months ago, great pay, good people, well-maintained equipment... Got back into this wonderful hobby and stumbled into this site where I'm learning so much about it... Got a second chance with a fantastic woman that I blew things with about a year ago, and it's wonderful...
    So I go into work Thursday night, and the president of the company is there (small family company, so president and co-owner), he calls me off to a conference room with the shift supervisor and tells me that since I'm the newest full-timer, and the company just doesn't have the business he was expecting right now, I'm being let go... The two major projects he brought me in to run haven't taken off on schedule, on was pushed from July to September, now to November or later, the other one is just being drug out and they still don't have a new solid date from the customer... So I'm the first one to go. Half the shop went down to 32 hours a week, but everyone kept telling me "they never let people go for low business, they never lay off", yeah. Guess there's always a first time...
    I keep hearing our Liar in Chief talk about the improving ecomony, seeing the data not quite back up those claims... But I'm here to say the ecomony still sucks. My company made lots of stuff for Cummins Engine Co., which currently has a worldwide hiring freeze on... and quite a bit of medical equipment pieces, which are also dropping due to the pending new Obamacare crap, which is going to cost doctors and medical equipment companies more money... Ugh.
    Ugh. Just ranting and whining. Haven't told my parents or my son yet, as I didn't want to ruin everyone's weekend, so just bitching to bitch...

I feel better... a bit.
    Shooter. Gamer. Hunter. Father. Geek. Atheist. NRA Life Member 2011
    http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/de...mber=Dark+Rose

Re: This economy STILL sucks...

Herf n turf posted a warning a while back about no political threads. I'm pretty sure calling the president liar in cheif isn't accepted.
    "I'm sure everything will be fine if we win, but if we start losing, I'm shooting." - Michael Jordan

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Herf did make an announcement about this. Thanks for your reminder Troy!

Sorry to hear about your situation, Steve. Hope everything works out for you in the near future.

Reminder: All Members Please Read

Pale Horse

Prayers sent your way brother

I don't think it's ever been the responsibility of Government to create jobs. My entire company was put out of business because of outsourcing. Big corps moving jobs out wanting to make more money at any expense to America.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan23 View Post
    Herf n turf posted a warning a while back about no political threads. I'm pretty sure calling the president liar in cheif isn't accepted.
    Wasn't trying to get political, the economy is the economy and I don't think either side will be able to make any quick fix.

I just get tired of hearing "statements" that don't match facts, and I don't care if it's a politician, salesman, clergyman, scientist, teacher/educational institution, doctor/hospital, company, government, non-profit, or infomercial...

Apologies if mine did come across as political... and too late for me to edit.

Just sucks that it seems every time things start going really great, the rug has gotten pulled out from under me.
    When I was younger, it usually could be traced back to my fault, i.e. youth and stupidity. Now that I'm not young, and no as stupid, it's usually been due to outside factors, and it makes it worse when it's something outside of my control. When it's my fault, I can get mad at me, when it's beyond my control, sometimes there's just nowhere to lay blame (and sometimes there is.) This time, there's no one place to direct blame, it's a multitude of external factors, and it blows.

No longer a community member.

I think the Obamacare argument is senseless as it's here to stay, and I feel that the economy is actually improving, albeit a bit slowly in other spectrums of society compared to others. Business is ramping back up, and Detroit is becoming a cultural and business hub once again.

Rants are allowed, and sometimes it helps. I have been where you are, more than once!

The sad part is that the older (and should be wiser) you are, it seems to get harder to recover.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Quote Originally Posted by Draepheus View Post
    I think the Obamacare argument is senseless as it's here to stay, and I feel that the economy is actually improving, albeit a bit slowly in other spectrums of society compared to others. Business is ramping back up, and Detroit is becoming a cultural and business hub once again.
    I wasn't arguing it, but when the company president was letting me go the other night, we were discussing it in respect to it's effect on the medical equipment industry, and the cost of American jobs due to likely outsourcing because of higher costs. It probably is here to stay, but stay or not, it will have an effect on the American economy in multiple areas. (Not politics, economic and industrial/manufacturing realities).

Around here, most of the business in my area are in manufacturing, and most companies are slowing down again, with the exception of some very small niche businesses.

@Fuzzy, I agree, the older you get (and especially once children are involved) the harder it is and longer it does take to recover... Back at 18-24 or so, I didn't have much, didn't have as many bills, didn't have anyone depending on me, being out of work for a month or two wasn't a huge strain, as I had enough back to keep me afloat. The older I get, the more bills I have, especially being a homeowner now, and having my son, I seem to have less cushion built up.
    I'll get by, I always have, it just doesn't make it any easier, and doesn't make me worry about my son any less.

Kids are important... college is a drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Draepheus View Post
    Kids are important... college is a drain.
    Well mine is 5, so college is a ways off, so maybe by the time he gets there, I can have enough saved for one year... LOL, because the cost will probably double or triple between now and then...
    Last edited by Dark Rose; 09-30-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typos

Save each year, I'm of the firm belief a parent should provide the opportunity, it's up to the kid to make it work.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish eggopp's Avatar

Oh man oh man, sorry to hear about the unexpected loss of your job. Things over here in the UK are very similar, the UK banks were bailed out by goverment with billions of pounds with the sole intention of helping small businesses with easier access to funding, however it didnt happen. Instead the money was given from the banks to bail out the Euro.

I feel for those at the bottom of the food chain who so desperatly need work to put food on the table and pay there bills. Im fortunate that my job is 99% secure as in my current line of work there will always be crime.

Chin up chap as im sure you will land something soon, keep looking and dont give up!

So Steve, what do 5 year old boys like to play with now-a-days?

Too late,

Thank you, your order has been placed.
    An e-mail confirmation has been sent to you. New! Sign up for delivery updates by text for this and future orders.
    Order Number: 103-5171054-1898654

1 item will be shipped to Steve Swaim by Amazon.com. Estimated delivery: Oct. 4, 2012 - Oct. 5, 2012

1 item will be shipped to Steve Swaim by Amazon.com. Estimated delivery: Oct. 4, 2012 - Oct. 5, 2012

Hope your kid enjoys!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast