Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

DIY Portable Hammock Stand

This is a discussion on DIY Portable Hammock Stand within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; 18 months ago my son asked me to take his bed out of his room and help him figure out ...

I'm watching you.

DIY Portable Hammock Stand

18 months ago my son asked me to take his bed out of his room and help him figure out how to hang his hammock in his bedroom. I was floored. Sure enough, we figured out how to do it, and he sleeps every night in a hammock. He sleeps so much better than he usedto, too! Well, he even camps with his hammock, but hates sleeping on the ground when there aren't any trees. So we talked with a friend that visits hammockforums.net and we picked up a few ideas...

So...

3 2x2s, 6.5' long
    2 8" gate hinges
    8 1/4" hex bolts, flat washers, locking nuts
    30 feet of paracord
    11 feet of top rail chain link fence post
    2 top rail end caps
    Lots of scrapes, bruises and splinters

started out like this

and turned into this:

This thing is super strong, not too heavy, and really easy to build. This single mom with a basic understanding of power tools and a hacksaw advised a 12 year old on how to make this hold quite a bit of weight! The bow in the middle isn't weight bearing at all. All the weight hangs from under the tripods. Physics is cool!
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Puffer Fish with many spikes zephead61's Avatar

Re: DIY Portable Hammock Stand

That's awesome Jessica! Mom and son sure work well together!

Haha, love it! So simple but yet will last a very long time.

Leading Puffer Fish

Eno Nest hammock? I have one myself....love that thing...string it over creeks when we camp and sleep above running water.

Maturing Puffer Fish showcattle's Avatar

The pup doesnt look happy that hes not in the hammock

I'm watching you.

Thanks guys

Yes, that's an ENO Doublenest. He doesn't need the extra room, but it does feel more stable.

And Commander Cody the Dog/Clonetrooper loves being in the hammock, but this one hangs a bit too high for him to jump into
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Pretty cool Jessica. My son is big into camping and knew exactly what that was. Me on the other hand unless it has 4 wheels and an engine I'm lost...
    ďA good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores". - Maxwell Q. Klinger - Mash 4077