Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

My Afternoon in Hell - the Police - and My "Elderly" Father - a short story...

This is a discussion on My Afternoon in Hell - the Police - and My "Elderly" Father - a short story... within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Please read - you might learn something valuable - So I'm at work, just took the first bite of a ...

Alpha Puffer Fish

My Afternoon in Hell - the Police - and My "Elderly" Father - a short story...

Please read - you might learn something valuable -

So I'm at work, just took the first bite of a burger, and the phone rings -
    "This is the Lewisville Police - we're with you father - he's lost - looks like he's been driving around in circles trying to find his way home..." (HOLY SHITE!)
    "Where is he exactly?"
    " The Panda Express at I-35E and Main in Lewisville..." (unfamiliar area)
    "OK, can you tell him to stay there and I'll be there in about 30 minutes..."

I google map it and head out - google maps suck big time when construction is going on and I end up going through two zones and get totally lost.
    An hour and a half later I locate him in the parking lot - in his van - napping...

"What,s up dad?"
    "Oh not much, just trying to find (hwy)121."
    "It's just down 35 about 2 miles."
    "Well that's what I was trying to find out..."

So I tell him follow me and take it easy.
    This turned out to be a very bad idea as traffic was starting build in the DFW main arteries - long story short I ended up stopping twice and and telling him to follow closer - "Lets make it down to Trinity and take it to Hurst - if you figure out where you are and if we get separated head straight to the house..." - an hour later I had no idea where dad went...
    I headed to the house - no dad (of course, I'm driving 70 mph)- I was so hyped at this point I started driving around aimlessly, I drive back and there's dad towing the trash bins to the side of the house. - this started at 1:00 - it was now 4:30pm
    "Well?"
    "Well what?"
    "How did you get here?"
    "Trinity Boulevard..."
    "They called the police, now dad you've got to stop driving if you can't..." uh oh, he gave me "the look"

with a raised voice "All I did was go to visit the graveyard, I guess I turned the wrong way when I left, I turned down a farm road and went too far and got lost, I asked a woman where hwy 121 was and she didn't know but pointed and said the hwy was that direction (which turned out to be I-35, 12 miles in the wrong direction from home) I got on 35 and headed south, but I pulled over to make sure I was north of 121 - and those little girls in that place called the police. I don't think about me looking like an old man, but they saw an old man and called the police..."

I gave dad a kiss and made sure he made it in the house... the long ride home - I thought a lot...
    Mom died last November - they had been married over 65 years... Lord that must be tough.
    Dad is 89 - looking forward to his 90th- Oct.30

Later at home I gave more thought -
    Did dad know where he was going - yes
    Did he get lost - admittedly
    Did he ask for directions after he got lost - yes
    Did he find his way - he knew where he was when I reached him
    Did the little girls at Panda express talk to him or overreact - all they had to say was you are going the right direction, about, 2 miles - but what they saw was an old man and called the police

As a juror of the evidence of what happened to my father today, and his testimony - I have to declare him not guilty.
    (now if my sister doesn't call - then he didn't tell her - and we'll both keep our mouths shut - but if she does - holy crap...)

Re: My Afternoon in Hell - the Police - and My "Elderly" Father - a short story...

I feel for you, Ken. A one time event is not to bad, but keep a watch on him.

I had to take the keys from my Mother when she was 86. Boy did I get the dirty looks and the cussin. Not sure she ever forgave me but she lived six more years without a car. Almost certain it would have been less if she was allowed to drive and I know she would have injured (or worse) some one if not herself.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Alpha Puffer Fish

Re: My Afternoon in Hell - the Police - and My "Elderly" Father - a short story...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I feel for you, Ken. A one time event is not to bad, but keep a watch on him.

I had to take the keys from my Mother when she was 86. Boy did I get the dirty looks and the cussin. Not sure she ever forgave me but she lived six more years without a car. Almost certain it would have been less if she was allowed to drive and I know she would have injured (or worse) some one if not herself.
    I hear you Fuzzy - and you know that it's in the back of my mind.
    There's one good thing - my sister moved back in when Mom started getting worse so there's someone there to drive when needed - but there's something about the freedom to go if he wants to - even if it's to Jack In The Box to get a breakfast platter - he has it in his head that when he can't drive - that's when he is elderly...

I'm watching you.

What an adventure! I'd give my dad the benefit of the doubt until it happened again. Once my own dad got pulled over for running over cones in a construction zone (with my son in the car!), I never let my kid ride with him again...
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins