Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Should not need be political...

This is a discussion on Should not need be political... within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; So, I have spent the last 10 years either working full-time or part-time and taking classes here and there. I ...

Unhappy Should not need be political...

So, I have spent the last 10 years either working full-time or part-time and taking classes here and there. I am finally graduating from the Ohio State University with an engineering degree and I am super excited to be at the end of this 10 year adventure getting to this point. 30 minutes ago I hear the news, jaw dropping news... I guess it is sort of cool to have a sitting President be the commencement speaker, but I wholeheartedly disagree with about everything he stands for ideologically. At this point I don't care so much about the ceremony since none of my HS friends were in my classes and I don't know anyone graduating with me at this point. I would go to respect the office and position, but I am not sure there will not be some political messages in there and it could ruin my day.

What would you do in this situation? Bush spoke in 2002 but I think the country wasn't as divided at that point right after 9/11. If you disagreed completely with the speaker and were in my situation would you go?

Chest Beating Pack Leader [OT] Loki's Avatar

Re: Should not need be political...

smart phone + ear buds. you get to miss the speech but still take part in the ceremony if you want

No longer a community member.

I'd go. I'm sure it'll be at least somewhat political in nature, but it's also a cool experience. Take the speech with a grain of salt, and enjoy the day. As was said above, if the politics become overbearing, or you just dislike him that much, just bring headphones, and smile for the cameras!

Congrats on graduating!

Thanks! I'm amped up for sure!! I thought about not going anyway (Before it was announced) because I get migraines that effect my vision sometimes... And that would be very bad in a large crowd situation. But, having the office of the Presidency speaking is pretty special I suppose regardless if you agree or not. The only other issue with this though that popped up that has everyone kinda PO'd is that we have a 100k+ stadium the event will be held in and each student gets only 4 tickets for their family. So, because of the security issues there will be unfilled seats and family members not in attendance. It'll be half empty...

I'll likely go, but I will have my, "Don't Tread On Me" shirt I like so much on underneath and a celebratory stick on me also! Definitely not PC, haha. It will be my small and happy protest

Now, to select a good celebratory stick? hmm..... After a day to calm down and think everything over, I'll focus my worries on that issue instead, haha.

I have been attending graduations for the last 15 yrs.
    Frankly, 90% of the speakers were terrible and I could not have disagreed more.
    That said, graduation is for the students and should be experienced...
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

Quote Originally Posted by asmartbull View Post
    ...graduation is for the students and should be experienced...
    ^^This says it all^^
    It's your day, doesn't matter who's speaking, it's still your day!
    Congratulations on your accomplishment!
    Wrap Your Ass in Fiberglass
    Drive a VETTE

Quote Originally Posted by Keebaw View Post
    ... thought about not going anyway (Before it was announced) because I get migraines that effect my vision sometimes... but I will have my, "Don't Tread On Me" shirt I like so much on underneath and a celebratory stick on me also!
    I do also, as I have the rare variant that causes nuerological (stroke like) effects and am frequently unable to see well enough to read or drive (so go with a buddy, just in case). Good new is, if you do get a migraine, at least you won't have to "see him!" Go for it, as you will be quietly demonstrating your civil disobedience with your t-shirt and stick!

So, I have spent the last 10 years working...am finally graduating from the Ohio State University with an engineering degree and I am super excited... I guess it is sort of cool to have a sitting President be the commencement speaker, but I wholeheartedly disagree with about everything he stands for ideologically.

What would you do in this situation? Bush spoke in 2002 but I think the country wasn't as divided at that point right after 9/11. If you disagreed completely with the speaker and were in my situation would you go?
    You must walk, otherwise you will regret it one day. You have earned it, more so as you worked your way through! I also worked my way through undergrad & grad schools on the 10 year plan (almost took 10yr for the undergrad, but I started clepping and then pushed through Grad).

Even though schools will have "objectionable" speakers (I did), the commencement address is rarely so from my experience of the many I've attended. If it does, which I doubt, then you can feel free to express your first amendment rights and openly protest "our government" by getting up at that time and simply walking out (I've only felt compelled to do that once, perhaps twice, in the past 30yrs).

Regardless of your ideological opposition, a commencement address by the sittlng President is an unparalleled honor. Since you expect low attendance, there should be plenty of extra programs so make sure you grab as many as you can going in!! I always get at least 3 for any commencement, and have needed every one and even more.

Congratulations, and enjoy!

Thanks for all the support and encouragement everyone! I wish I could rep everyone but I don't think I have gotten that far yet in this forum and don't completely understand that system yet. You guys really put things in perspective and gave me a nice positive outlook on everything!

I am having fun joking around with my politically split family about this issue, haha. It's all in good fun though!

Thanks for all the support and encouragement everyone! I wish I could rep everyone but I don't think I have gotten that far yet in this forum and don't completely understand that system yet. You guys really put things in perspective and gave me a nice positive outlook on everything!

I am having fun joking around with my politically split family about this issue, haha. It's all in good fun though!
    Good for you, but you were still positive! You'll need at least a program for each relative (especially those that will be jealous) and 3 for yourself (scrapbook, framing and a spare).

I would just go and make the best of it. When the kenyan starts reading from his teleprompter, go to your happy place till it's over.
    George HW Bush spoke at my graduation in '91 (he was prez at the time) when I got my master's degree from a lovely school in Ann Arbor, MI. A large contingent of liberal arts students turned their backs to him when he spoke, and the rest of us thought that was pretty unclassy.

Disinterested

Treading some pretty thin, political ice, here gents. I completely understand Kevin's dilemma, but let's keep the partisanship out of it.

As stated, it's NOT about the speaker, it's about the accomplishment. Any 'celebrity' speaker will surely use any platform to stump for his/her agenda. Long after that BS is behind you, what will REALLY matter is your accomplishment and that you celebrated YOUR DAY.

Congratulations and WELL DONE, Kevin!!

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    Treading some pretty thin, political ice, here gents. I completely understand Kevin's dilemma, but let's keep the partisanship out of it.

As stated, it's NOT about the speaker, it's about the accomplishment. Any 'celebrity' speaker will surely use any platform to stump for his/her agenda. Long after that BS is behind you, what will REALLY matter is your accomplishment and that you celebrated YOUR DAY.

Congratulations and WELL DONE, Kevin!!
    Thanks! Yeah, we can't close this one out!! I need to post a photo after with my celebratory cigar!!! I still need to pick one out.

I have a DCM double corona that would be great! (I love DCM's, mmmmm yummy)
    Also, picked up two not so cheap 2007 Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario a while back on the devil site. Would make a funny gag smoke since if I was on the normal 4.5-5 year track that would be my graduation year... I heard they don't age all that well and might go dull with time unlike the Opus/Anajo, so I am curios for an excuse to try one.

I have a funny comment that would be meant as a light hearted joke, but I'll pm it in order to keep this going so I can post up later when I decide which stick I'll smoke!

On a partisan note of a different kind (the Ohio State University vs. michigan) lol.... Gerald Ford did the Commencement at OSU in 1974!!! He was a Congressional Rep for the "state up north" for almost 25 years!! What was Ohio State thinking letting him speak, lolol.

That last one is for Bruce, haha
    Last edited by Keebaw; 02-21-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks! Yeah, we can't close this one out!!
    THIS was threatened with a CLOSE? Must have been private, if so, and tell me it ain't so!

I think it was just a warning so it doesn't get crazy and out of hand politically, which I agree with. No private messages getting out of hand or any thing. Just don't want the moderators getting angry about everything if people start firing off stuff. It's not really relevant to the original issue, which was...

-I've been in college way too long...

-Don't really care so much to go to the graduation ceremony since no High School/College friends are graduating with me (Took a job for a couple years and still needed a couple classes so everyone I did know well graduated two years ago.)

-Migraines: I get goofy migraines and I can't guarantee it won't happen while in the huge crowd and the start of them are awful for me so I was thinking about skipping it anyway.

-I wasn't pleased with the headline speaker

-You all convinced me to go and get a bunch of extra programs

-Need to pick a good celebration stick (Narrowed down to one of my favorites, the DCM in Double Corona or a 2007 Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario which has an ironic funny meaning to me...

That's about it! So don't ruin it with political craziness! I'd like to come back and post a smoking shot with the degree!!
    Last edited by Keebaw; 02-22-2013 at 12:50 AM.

I think it was just a warning so it doesn't get crazy and out of hand politically, which I agree with...if people start firing off stuff. It's not really relevant to the original issue...

That's about it! So don't ruin it with political craziness! I'd like to come back and post a smoking shot with the degree!!
    Good to know, and ditto! That's how I understood @Herf N Turf , and mod warnings are most appreciated (albeit sad that they must). The poor manner in which I've seen some comport themselves is embarassing; and, intolerable when it is ripping a noob in their own introduction! I have been reared better than to cmment with, as we would say, "your mama would be ashamed." This is a southern expression to chatise poor manners or bad behavior.

As I understood your post, the question was essentially "Am I showing support of ideology of which I am opposed, by participating (health permitting) in my graduation?" Very good question, as in any other circumstance this would be implicit agreement. Not applicable in your situation, as your graduation is part of your contract with the school. Graduation is the official conferring of your degree.

All of the posters encouraged you to attend, allayed any concern regarding perception of "support," and offered reasonable solutions (which are commonplace everywhere today, even at commencements and church) to make yourself more comfortable.

Unless I missed something, no one was offensive nor denigrated our President. The office demands respect, whether or not one respects the person, and you clearly do both. It is entirely possible to argue or express ideological differences without crawling into the gutter; with the latter much more common than the former. So, I can understand that a mod sees a potential problem and "nips it in bud."

As others succinctly addressed your question, I only responded as I saw that we shared many commonalities, separated only by a distance of time, geography and sex. I felt I could offer the wisdom acquired through time and experience, with the unique perspective of our shared experience. Plus, "mama had to tell you" to get those valuable programs, which no one had yet advised!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast