Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Warning! Do not suck!

This is a discussion on Warning! Do not suck! within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Just thought I'd share: We picked up a vacuum sealer the other day and were trying it out tonight. It ...

Warning! Do not suck!

Just thought I'd share:

We picked up a vacuum sealer the other day and were trying it out tonight. It comes with a little hose for, well I'm not quite sure what it's for, but here's what was on the warning sticker on the hose:

WARNING: To prevent possible injury, do not apply the hose, canister lid, universal lid, jar sealer, or any other accessory to any part of the body while the vacuum pump is in operation.

Y'know, I wasn't even thinking about that till they mentioned it

Re: Warning! Do not suck!

LMAO! I have a food saver, and it has the same sticker on the hose. I never noticed it until I read this, and I had to go check!

Wow! The fact that they thought it was necessary to put that warning on says a lot about people out there...
    I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. Kenneth Clark

Twerking ain't for Smurfs Packerjh's Avatar

What...that's not my bag baby..."Austin Myers"
    Just one little Smurf against the world....I feel sorry for you World! BOOM, suckas!

I have to wonder, what did they think people would do with it - it's only abt an eighth inch tube

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruck View Post
    I have to wonder, what did they think people would do with it - it's only abt an eighth inch tube
    It isn't from what they think people will do.. It is because of the countless injuries that have already occurred

Normally warning labels aren't because of a precaution but a reaction of things that have already gone wrong....

My brother ex worked at a urologists office......ahh he stories we'd hear.

Quote Originally Posted by CarnivorousPelican View Post
    Normally warning labels aren't because of a precaution but a reaction of things that have already gone wrong....
    Yes, that's the scary part. For everyone with an above-average IQ, there's someone with a below-average IQ (except in Lake Wobegon).

I read a study a few years ago which examined the tendency (and gave it a name which I can't recall) of low-IQ people to not realize it, and actually think they're just as smart as everyone else, bcs they lack the critical thinking skills that would inform them otherwise. Conversely, smart people are all the more aware of what they don't know, and tend to be less confident in their branial abilities. So basically there's an inverse relationship between mental acuity and confidence therein.

So if you ask a smart person if they're able to safely operate a vacuum sealer, they'd probably equivocate somewhat, while a cognitively-challenged person would say, "sure I can, here hold my beer!"

[QUOTE=Bruck;3821843]Yes, that's the scary part. For everyone with an above-average IQ, there's someone with a below-average IQ (except in Lake Wobegon).

I read a study a few years ago which examined the tendency (and gave it a name which I can't recall) of low-IQ people to not realize it, and actually think they're just as smart%2
    Last edited by CarnivorousPelican; 03-21-2013 at 10:53 PM.

The way I see it is, there are many dimensions of intelligence, very few of which are measured on the standard tests. I have a friend whom I've known since childhood who's had high-level executive positions for most of his career. I always did better in school and got higher standard test scores, but he has always had what I'll call a "business IQ" that I unfortunately have very little of. & I've known several people who were dumb as rocks according to conventional measures, but could pick up any musical instrument and quickly become an expert on it - just a different dimension of IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruck View Post
    The way I see it is, there are many dimensions of intelligence, very few of which are measured on the standard tests. I have a friend whom I've known since childhood who's had high-level executive positions for most of his career. I always did better in school and got higher standard test scores, but he has always had what I'll call a "business IQ" that I unfortunately have very little of. & I've known several people who were dumb as rocks according to conventional measures, but could pick up any musical instrument and quickly become an expert on it - just a different dimension of IQ.
    didn't realize my other post was chopped..

There are some serious issues with IQ in the United States specifically and with the IQ test in general for example Chinese etc tend to score higher on the test because of the spacial aspects for example learning a language with more than 4000 different signs etc they will obviously score higher on the spatial aspects of the test. Then there is other issues like nutrition, geographical location, culture, education. I lead teams of people who have advanced degrees and no pun to my teams but education does not translate to intelligence yes you will probably score higher on an IQ test, but the reality is your capacity is going to be confined within certain bounds with some plasticity involved. If I stop things like horticulture, playing music, learning languages and other hobbies just focusing on my work for a year or two my IQ score will go down... I test my IQ yearly and map it out so I can see how am developing... In addition if you give me 4 months to study I will push that score even higher.. So the measurement of IQ is a bit of a sham I can tell how intelligent someone is by communicating with them that is kinda what I have to do in my industry is gauge how intelligent someone is and the best way to get them to lower their guard so I can break through to accomplish a smoother working relationship. Back onto IQ it is a slippery slope when you take into account intelligence because of the various kinds of intelligence etc. People will say oo so and so is unintelligent well they just made a very unintelligent mistake just because you perceive yourself as intelligent doesn't necessarily mean you are. For example I will act dumb just so I can see what kind of a person you are... I don't believe you have to be uptight or be an asshole to do a good job and I believe people take IQ to seriously... I can play country dumb just to exploit you because really the most intelligent people in the world are not the richest people in the world... Education obviously raises IQ because how the test is geared, and normally with a college degree people tend to make more than average salaries so there is a dubious point in those statistics which it maybe a method of marketing by the academics...

I am personally very tired of the academic intelligent deal of putting people down because they are less intelligent etc I think it is a crime because those with higher intelligence with greater means obviously understand the majority of people are unintelligent it is like calling the 800 lb gorilla in the room a gorilla well that doesn't solve any problems... Personally I will take a ignorant friendly person over a unfriendly intelligent person Simple... Just watching youtube you will see there is a culture of stupidity developing which has been cultivated in America and I call it stupidity simply because it is stupid not unintelligent but just stupid and I believe a lot of this is related to culture to a certain degree... Just my 2 cents on it... For example kids putting pressure on each other to have a girl friend and get lucky. One child feels alienated so he takes the suction and starts putting hickies on his neck is that because of low intelligence or because of the culture?

I believe this will remedy some of what am saying

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

The people who normally come out and say oo so and so is unintelligent are normally the ones who are unintelligent. Most will say they are above normal intelligence without ever taking a IQ test just on the basis of self delusion. I have a saying which is the only reason people think I am intelligent is because they are stupid... That is my arrogance...
    Last edited by CarnivorousPelican; 03-27-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Too bad you live so far away or I'd invite you over for a beer and a smoke...
    Just got home from a long day & the old brain is sore!
    I haven't been IQ tested since Jr. High - don't think I want to know at this point.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

Hmmm. I seem to have lost my hose for my foodsaver.

Like Bruce said, its been a long time since I was tested for my IQ and I dont think I want to know what my score would be if I were tested now.

IQ doesn't really matter is the point smart people do dumb things trust me...
    Last edited by CarnivorousPelican; 03-29-2013 at 05:12 AM.

I suppose that is the equivalent to the warning label on my wife's curling iron that says "For External Use Only" What sick bastard thought that one up I'll never know...
    A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores". - Maxwell Q. Klinger - Mash 4077

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast