Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Will smoking cigar show up in bloodwork?

This is a discussion on Will smoking cigar show up in bloodwork? within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by ssaka Your agent and others are giving you AWFUL advice. Is it possible for cigars to not ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes jazzboypro's Avatar

Re: Will smoking cigar show up in bloodwork?

Quote Originally Posted by ssaka View Post
    Your agent and others are giving you AWFUL advice.

Is it possible for cigars to not be picked up in the screening? Yes, BUT...

If God forbid you do pass on and it comes time for them to pay out the policy you can be certain they will be trying to find a legit reason not to. And how difficult do you believe it might be for them to discover you smoked cigars and lied on the application? Because I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that if they do, they will simply invalidate the policy, not pay your family the insurance, but instead return to them a check for amount you paid for the policy.

The reason you buy life insurance is to protect your family, not to save money.

I would get a better insurance agent because imo yours is an idiot.

BR,

Steve Saka
    CEO, Drew Estate

ps: I believe Prudential offers reduced non-smoker life insurance rates to Cigar-Only smokers...

Totally agree, well said !!

Young Puffer Fish

The OP is talking life insurance, not health insurance.

I worked for farmers insurance, country financial and my current employer (not telling for obvious reasons). I sold quite a bit of life insurance for these guys and as a cigar smoker myself ill tell you how it works from the inside:

Life insurance rates are set on a tier and in 3-4 groupings. The groups are generally bad, good and best ( maybe one more higher or lower tier) then you're structured within that group from A to Z. The rates vary for each group and up and down each pyramid. Being an A in the good group will still never be better than a Z in the best group.

Generally the best group excludes everyone with ANY issues so it gives the absolute best rates. This is why they exclude all smokers. Even casual.

Also do what you will with this...after 2 years of a life policy being in force the only thing that will terminate it is a lack of premium payment.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Maluther45 View Post
    The OP is talking life insurance, not health insurance.

I worked for farmers insurance, country financial and my current employer (not telling for obvious reasons). I sold quite a bit of life insurance for these guys and as a cigar smoker myself ill tell you how it works from the inside:

Life insurance rates are set on a tier and in 3-4 groupings. The groups are generally bad, good and best ( maybe one more higher or lower tier) then you're structured within that group from A to Z. The rates vary for each group and up and down each pyramid. Being an A in the good group will still never be better than a Z in the best group.

Generally the best group excludes everyone with ANY issues so it gives the absolute best rates. This is why they exclude all smokers. Even casual.

Also do what you will with this...after 2 years of a life policy being in force the only thing that will terminate it is a lack of premium payment.
    Excellent Post...

I apologize but I was making fun/jacking the thread because anyone who comes onto a cigar forum which is heavily using SEO's for help to commit fraud on their life insurance policy I personally can't take seriously.. So...

Right now bloodwork+cigar this thread comes up #2 .1 on google If I was an insurance company I would hire a company like mine to datamine Social networking information on their customers... So regardless the poster probably has a trail of incriminating evidence across the internet along with pictures of himself in a jacuzzi smoking a cigar with 4 blondes ( no pun intended ). Which I believe all ALL insurance companies have a right to datamine information pertaining to their customers especially when they contract my company...

Last edited by CarnivorousPelican; 03-25-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I would roll the dice with the insurance company finding it if I could get the 4 blondes and the jacuzzi.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillinger View Post
    I would roll the dice with the insurance company finding it if I could get the 4 blondes and the jacuzzi.
    I have a picture but for insurance purposes I can't post it They were some pretty raunchy blondes may raise my health insurance premium...

Young Puffer Fish

I will add this...if buying a whole life policy...once it is in force the rate can never be changed. Term policy changes when it's renewed after the term ends. The rates can also be adjusted if you make certain changes to an existing policy but generally they are not.

When I talked to underwriting for my personal policy I asked them about cigars. If you don't smoke for about 3 weeks prior not a single trace will show up. And if they can't prove you smoked prior the. You're home free.

It's all in what they can prove. They do pull medical records so if your past shows you smoked then you mUST be up front.

Full grown Puffer Fish

I am going to stand by my original advice, it is in your best interest to be 100% honest when it comes to any application for life insurance. I am all for being frugal, but imo life insurance is not the place to be so. Shop around, be pragmatic and get what is best for your family.

Young Puffer Fish

I agree it's best to not cut corners. My info is t meant to sway anyone one way or another. It's just an FYI as most times you won't be given access to the information that is rightfully yours.

I have no loyalty to the system. Just my customer.

although I would never suggest insurance fraud, insurance companies can only contest your policy if you take a dirt nap within the first 2 years (sometimes 1 year) of the policy getting approved.... just sayin.

with that said, I would take Steve's advice and seek out a company that does not rate an occasional cigar smoker.
    "Donít congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either Ė your choices are half chance, so are everybody elseís"- Mary Schmich

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish FireRunner's Avatar

Whenever I get asked if I drink alcohol or smoke I always say no. Social drinking and smoking is not considered "drinking" or "smoking". I would rather just skip that whole ordeal than explain that I'm a social drinker or that I smoke cigars 1-2 times a week. Sure, it's "lying" but honestly companies will do everything in their power to screw people over sometimes. I'm dealing with my health insurance company right now because I was taking this medication prior to their coverage. The medication literally costs $5 a month - literally.
    Last edited by FireRunner; 03-25-2013 at 11:22 PM.
    20 years of smoking and still going strong *cough* *cough*...

Just to be clear, I don't condone trying to dupe a insurance company. I also completely agree that life insurance is for your family and you hate to risk or jeopardize that under any circumstances. There was a question posed, and I just tried to answer it. I don't think it is my place to tell him what is right or wrong with his decision making.

Personally, I don't think it is fair for someone that smokes a cigar 1-2 times a week to be put in the same boat with someone that smokes a pack a day because their health risk are not the same. However, the difference in that risk is tough to put a number on before considering the fact that many people don't accurately report how much they smoke. This puts the insurance business in a tough spot, which accounts for how they decide to set premiums.

I consider cigar smoking a hobby and like any hobby it has cost...cigars...humidor...more cigars...and increased life insurance

Young Puffer Fish

It's more the fact that if you buy a life policy worth 100k and only make your first payment and then die.... The insurance company pays out 100k. Not exactly a great return on their investment.

That's why they care.

Quote Originally Posted by FireRunner View Post
    Whenever I get asked if I drink alcohol or smoke I always say no. Social drinking and smoking is not considered "drinking" or "smoking". I would rather just skip that whole ordeal than explain that I'm a social drinker or that I smoke cigars 1-2 times a week. Sure, it's "lying" but honestly companies will do everything in their power to screw people over sometimes. I'm dealing with my health insurance company right now because I was taking this medication prior to their coverage. The medication literally costs $5 a month - literally.
    The rationalization and excuses people come up with are insane... How about this... trying to justify yourself as a none smoker or drinker is just ridiculous... If I did cocaine twice a week and only with friends would you call me a drug addict? Probably so... I am feeling the hypocrisy creeping in here.. How much extra are you really talking about here peanuts... Judge... I know cocaine is illegal and wrong but I am only a social cocaine user once or twice a week tops! :P lol You may get lighter sentencing in Southern Louisiana because they will find it hilarious, but that is only if the Judge has a good sense of humor...

Disclaimer: The use of illegal drugs is illegal and bad for your health. This post in no way promotes the use of illegal substances but was intended to compare and contrast extremes to show the shear lunacy and hypocrisy of the quote.
    Last edited by CarnivorousPelican; 03-26-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Gentlemen - ever wonder why your health insurance costs so much? CarnivorousPelican is why.

No offense, sir, but it's true. When someone with no insurance dies and leaves a HUGE medical bill behind, SOMEONE has to pick up the tab. Those costs get passed on to all the rest of us in the form of higher rates.

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    Gentlemen - ever wonder why your health insurance costs so much? CarnivorousPelican is why.

No offense, sir, but it's true. When someone with no insurance dies and leaves a HUGE medical bill behind, SOMEONE has to pick up the tab. Those costs get passed on to all the rest of us in the form of higher rates.

This is so true and I don't feel bad about it.... I pay cash for all my medical bills what is really driving up the costs is the people who don't pay in cash and they goto the ER for all their medical needs then rob the ER of their stock.. I think they got one up on me or is it your children that you constantly take to the doctors office that you put on the insurance ( killing the insurance companies ) or maybe it is a myriad of other things I dunno I think everyone should look at insurance fraud not only by the insurance consumer but the hospitals and doctors also... The system is flawed and they will attempt to blame everything on the pelican but it has already been proven right here that most are perpetrating some sort of insurance fraud but that is ok to them but dying with unpaid bills is wrong.. double standard I think... At least what am doing is legal... So morally speaking the individual who is not breaking an agreement has more character than the individual who breaks his or her agreements. Once again the individual must take that into consideration while I have no postponed billing of medical expenses nor do I abuse the system at hand does the final push into the abyss and the bill left behind compensate for a life long trail of lies and abuses of the same system by those morally correct individuals who are only trying to protect their families in a desperate act of immoral action. I rest my case Sir...

I believe there are far worse creatures in the night that stroll along in society championing a moral character which BEHOLD on the inside is tainted by corruption, lies and poor character. I have no way to talk you out of the abuses that you commit and your frauds but I can only state my opinion on the subject. if I am demonized for my honesty then you should be damned for your lies...
    Last edited by CarnivorousPelican; 03-26-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast