Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Will smoking cigar show up in bloodwork?

This is a discussion on Will smoking cigar show up in bloodwork? within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Guys, Last year I changed my life insurance policy, and mentioned that I smoke an occasional cigar, they hosed me ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes yaqui's Avatar

Will smoking cigar show up in bloodwork?

Guys,

Last year I changed my life insurance policy, and mentioned that I smoke an occasional cigar, they hosed me for the smokers rate, when I mentioned this to my agent, he said, that next year, tell them I quit, and I would be able to receive the preferred rate. I don't smoke cigarettes, and maybe one stogie every few days...

I think he mentioned that they would do a cheek swab this time around.

Have any of you guys had this issue before? And what was the outcome?

Thanks,

Re: Will smoking cigar show up in bloodwork?

I have never had to do the test, but they are looking for a Nicotine metabolite called cotinine in your saliva. It has a half-life in the body of 20 hours, which means every 20 hours the amount in your body is cut by half... If you want to pass the test just skip your biweekly cigar for about 2 weeks leading up to the test and stay away from other smokers and you should be fine. This is just my opinion on a safe date, and in no way should be taken as a indisputable fact...obviously the longer you go without smoking before the better your odds are of passing. Good Luck!

HIM

I may be wrong here but if the half life is 20 hours wouldn't there be no trace in basically 2 days?
    Yeasty Airlocks And Carboys Full Of Ale!!

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by HIM View Post
    I may be wrong here but if the half life is 20 hours wouldn't there be no trace in basically 2 days?
    No. Half life is the time it takes to reduce half it's value from the begining of a time period and is used to describe anything that decays exponentially (like radiation). So IF tobacco in your system decays exponentially (not sure if it does or not...), it would take 20 hours to reduce in concentration by one half, then it would take another 20 hours for that remaining concentration to reduce by half (to 25%). In another 20 hours, this remaining amount would reduce by half (to 12.5%), and so on...

Alpha Puffer Fish Damselnotindistress's Avatar

Listen I truly don't consider myself a "smoker" mainly because I don't do cigarettes...never have. They make me cough. But my gut instincts tell me that should I croak soon after I may have enjoyed my occasional cigar, I don't want my next-of-kin being given any problems because I listed myself as a non-smoker and the insurance company says, "Whoops, sorry, we can't pay out because she lied to us..." etc., etc. And I'm told by people that they WILL check upon your demise. So I just pay the ungodly rates and play it safe
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill everytime

Hombre is absolutely correct. Sorry if I wasn't more clear...and they are measuring the amounts of cotinine in ng/mL.

1 nanogram = 1 billionth of a gram so we aren't talking about much. Honestly, 14 days is probably a little on the long side...especially since you aren't a frequent smoker, but why risk it?

HIM

Thanks for breaking that down Paul.
    Yeasty Airlocks And Carboys Full Of Ale!!

Puffer Fish with some spikes yaqui's Avatar

Thanks for the info guys.

No longer a community member.

Why do you need health insurance? I know a guy on the south side of town that will spit vodka on you and slap you with a chicken cure anything that ails you 5 bucks..!!...

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by yaqui View Post
    Guys,

Last year I changed my life insurance policy, and mentioned that I smoke an occasional cigar, they hosed me for the smokers rate, when I mentioned this to my agent, he said, that next year, tell them I quit, and I would be able to receive the preferred rate. I don't smoke cigarettes, and maybe one stogie every few days...

I think he mentioned that they would do a cheek swab this time around.

Have any of you guys had this issue before? And what was the outcome?

Thanks,
    Your agent and others are giving you AWFUL advice.

Is it possible for cigars to not be picked up in the screening? Yes, BUT...

If God forbid you do pass on and it comes time for them to pay out the policy you can be certain they will be trying to find a legit reason not to. And how difficult do you believe it might be for them to discover you smoked cigars and lied on the application? Because I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that if they do, they will simply invalidate the policy, not pay your family the insurance, but instead return to them a check for amount you paid for the policy.

The reason you buy life insurance is to protect your family, not to save money.

I would get a better insurance agent because imo yours is an idiot.

BR,

Steve Saka
    CEO, Drew Estate

ps: I believe Prudential offers reduced non-smoker life insurance rates to Cigar-Only smokers...

Quote Originally Posted by ssaka View Post

If God forbid you do pass on and it comes time for them to pay out the policy you can be certain they will be trying to find a legit reason not to. And how difficult do you believe it might be for them to discover you smoked cigars and lied on the application? Because I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that if they do, they will simply invalidate the policy, not pay your family the insurance, but instead return to them a check for amount you paid for the policy.

BR,

Steve Saka
    CEO, Drew Estate

ps: I believe Prudential offers reduced non-smoker life insurance rates to Cigar-Only smokers...
    Well put. Amazing what some will do to save a buck. I cant get life insurance but I keep trying.
    I had the right to remain silent...unfortunately, I didn't have the ability.............Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by ssaka View Post

BR,

Steve Saka
    CEO, Drew Estate

I would definitely say this is the better advice... I receive free life insurance from the company along with a bunch of options for health insurance etc but I use the guy on the south side of town with the chicken.. There is no way as young as I am that I have any use for health insurance plus I get awesome cash discounts plus can pick any doctor I want Then the company pays me not to have health insurance...
    Last edited by CarnivorousPelican; 03-25-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Puffer Fish with many spikes GoJohnnyGo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CarnivorousPelican View Post
    I would definitely say this is the better advice... I receive free life insurance from the company along with a bunch of options for health insurance etc but I use the guy on the south side of town with the chicken.. There is no way as young as I am that I have any use for health insurance plus I get awesome cash discounts plus can pick any doctor I want Then the company pays me not to have health insurance...
    Do you worry about catastrophe? I am also young and don't worry too much about chronic health problems but the thought of a car accident or the likes makes me keep my insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by GoJohnnyGo View Post
    Do you worry about catastrophe? I am also young and don't worry too much about chronic health problems but the thought of a car accident or the likes makes me keep my insurance.
    My advice generally is for people to get Health Insurance.. If you have 200-500k in the bank to cover a double heart bypass then you don't have to worry as much... My attitude is a very very poor attitude about it because let's put it like this if the procedure costs more than 500k then I am claiming bankruptcy and getting my money out... but normally 500k will cover you for most anything that happens quick... I also figure it as such if am dying well why should I pay the bill I never said I was a moral person... There is no benefit dying single with no family having no debt... Many will say this is disgraceful well I say it is disgraceful that I am paying 30+ % in taxes and I have to pay a ton of cash just to die.. What is disgraceful is the system in place and the profiteering that is going on... That is disgraceful... Me dying with a ton of unpaid bills and having a negative balance that is called smart especially when all your assets are going to be liquidated anyways... I have no family I am single... So I don't really care.... There are loop holes in the system and if those holes can be exploited then I have no problems with it and if your dead your dead its not like am going to be like oooo the doctor needs to be paid :P So, that is how I feel about it... Now if I find a woman who can stand me and get married ya I will get health insurance I will get all kinds of extended insurance to protect my loved ones so they can have something left over when I die, but I highly doubt that will happen, so Right now I am single and on a one way ticket. Plus I can cover most anything that will happen to me with cash, and what I can't cover I probably don't want to recover from

Disclaimer: The opinion OPINION above is not suited for everyone and no way promotes: neglecting financial responsibility, criminality, fraud, smuggling. The individual posting the above comment has zero family, no wives or children and has issues with the system in place.
    Last edited by CarnivorousPelican; 03-25-2013 at 06:59 PM.

btw.. You should get health insurance period...

I just don't want anyone getting the wrong idea from my comment because I am being honest about it now maybe I shouldn't be honest about how to leave the hotel without paying the bill, but hey it is their system they setup and the .GOV says they have to treat me which forcing a business to serve customers who can't or don't have to pay well that is bad business and maybe it shouldn't be a business... So, my attitude bankrupt the system..

The GOV is going to fine me a small sum of money that my company already pays me for not having health insurance... so it balances out once again I only goto the doctor maybe once a year. So, my company is more or less paying for my fine and my yearly visit and I can invest the money. They want to hit up smokers with higher premium, then hit up younger people with a higher premium so the people who want to suck every little bit out of life can. Well fine by me but when am leaving I am leaving a HUGE bill to pay... Instead of he who dies with the most wins, my attitude is more like he who leaves with the biggest bill to pay wins... The more equity, currency etc you accumulate the bigger the debt the bigger the bill
    Last edited by CarnivorousPelican; 03-25-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast