Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting facts about your family.

This is a discussion on Interesting facts about your family. within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I thought it would be fun to post about interesting things in our family. Rather it be that your related ...

No longer a community member.

Interesting facts about your family.

I thought it would be fun to post about interesting things in our family. Rather it be that your related to Michael Jordan or your grandpa was a cop in dallas during the JFK assassination................anything really.

I will get this going with some fun facts about my family. This is Stalker Castle and it belonged to my ancestors.

It sits on lake Loch Ness and it was even in a couple of movies. It is rumored that the castle was bet and lost in a poker game long ago.

You don't have to look back but 3-4 generations to find where my Scottish heritage came to America on a boat. My Grandpas (moms side) last name was Stalker and unfortunately, he had no boys so the Stalker name will die.

I'd have to ask my Grandma on my moms side because she would know but there is a written record that one of my ancestors came over on one of the ships with the Mayflower.

I'd also have to do some deep research in my ancestory.com page to figure it out but long long ago there was a DUKE of some other castle in England that was in my family line.

I am related to this guy.

I don't exactly remember how but he's a cousin on my Dads side.

What about you?
    Last edited by huskers; 05-01-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Re: Interesting facts about your family.

That is hard to top Josh. The castle story is awesome!

While my family has a glorious history of military service, alcoholism, and mental illness that would lend itself well to a novelist- there is little to single out as particularly facinating.

My father was considerably older than my mother, and he had come over from Germany just in time he and his brothers to fight for the US in WWII. I've heard some facinating stories about Normandy, but it's not like anyone owned a castle off the coast

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish teamgotoil's Avatar

My grandfather raced in NASCAR in the 40's and 50's. He retired in 59 just before they opened the big track at Daytona. He finished 8th one year on the beach and road course in Daytona.

Quote Originally Posted by teamgotoil View Post
    My grandfather raced in NASCAR in the 40's and 50's. He retired in 59 just before they opened the big track at Daytona. He finished 8th one year on the beach and road course in Daytona.
    damn, that's cool.

A LOT of history to "NASCAR" back in the old days, it wasn't just a race back then.

Pretty interesting how Nascar started and your Grandfather was right in the mix.

Yep, he raced with the old guys....Lee Petty, Ralph Earnhardt, Tiny Lund, Fireball Roberts and the list goes on. We buried him with a copy of his NASCAR license and a signed certificate by Bill France Sr called the Century Club. 112mph average on the beach and road course.

Quote Originally Posted by teamgotoil View Post
    Yep, he raced with the old guys....Lee Petty, Ralph Earnhardt, Tiny Lund, Fireball Roberts and the list goes on. We buried him with a copy of his NASCAR license and a signed certificate by Bill France Sr called the Century Club. 112mph average on the beach and road course.
    Was he old enough to be in Nascar during the probation before it turned into a race?

No one else knows anything interesting about their family history?

Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    Was he old enough to be in Nascar during the probation before it turned into a race?

I believe he was, but I don't think he did any of the shine runnin.LOL Maybe he did!!

Full grown Puffer Fish ColdSmoker's Avatar

The last sermon Ted Bundy heard was from my grandfather in his cell hours before he was executed. My same grandfather was stationed on the USS Yorktown during WWII. He was in the Pacific when the confrontation was at it's highest.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSmoker View Post
    The last sermon Ted Bundy heard was from my grandfather in his cell hours before he was executed. My same grandfather was stationed on the USS Yorktown during WWII. He was in the Pacific when the confrontation was at it's highest.
    cool for sure!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader fuente~fuente's Avatar

I have some VERY interesting facts about my fam, however they shall remain unsaid. Nothing crazy or illegal, but def interesting to say the least.

I am a distant cousin Roy Clark of Hee-Haw lore. And my great great grandfather was Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce tribe. One of the most famous American Indian Chiefs who ever lived.

Chief Joseph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie
    Coming at you from the Dirty Dirty...

Quote Originally Posted by fuente~fuente View Post
    I have some VERY interesting facts about my fam, however they shall remain unsaid. Nothing crazy or illegal, but def interesting to say the least.

I am a distant cousin Roy Clark of Hee-Haw lore. And my great great grandfather was Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce tribe. One of the most famous American Indian Chiefs who ever lived.

Chief Joseph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    That's awesome Jason!

Keep em coming guys!

A distant, and long-deceased relative on my mother's side sold Cape Canaveral to the US Government.
    None of the money made its way down to me though.

& supposedly we had some gen-u-ine hillbillies on my dad's side. & my sister plays pretty good bluegrass fiddle (& classical too). Connection?

Well I'm told on my dad's fathers side we go back to john Quincy Adams and on his mothers side to Betsy Ross. When my grandfather was young he worked in the Philly Navy yard working sheet metal. Right before we enyered world war 2. He wanted to enlist after pearl habor and the Department of the navy would allow it becouse he was so good at the metal work. So he worked in the Yard the whole war. My dad has been in every military branch but tye corp. Not real exciting but slightly interesting.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

on my moms side they were from England last name burgesses as in the house of burgesses they late comers to the U.S. On my dads side they were some of the first to leap the pond. I have one that singed the declaration of independence and my grandfather fought in the battle of the bulge. I almost forgot this and @huskers you will like this one but my cousin was the head tennis coach in some school in Lincoln NE. go big red

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast