Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

STOCK MARKET anyone?

This is a discussion on STOCK MARKET anyone? within the Puff Banter forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; hey folks was wondering if anyone here invest or has any tips on investing. trying to learn that field too....

Young Fish

STOCK MARKET anyone?

hey folks

was wondering if anyone here invest or has any tips on investing. trying to learn that field too.

Re: STOCK MARKET anyone?

As a former Stock Broker, I would say that you should take your time. Don't be in a hurry to jump into the first recommendation that you receive. There are a lot of great brokers out there, but just as many terrible ones so shop around if you are going to use a broker. They can keep you from making big mistakes or they can throw you under the bus for a commission so be careful. You could also educate yourself and skip the broker. If you go that rout, read lots of books from different perspectives. In my experience most financial writers are selling something. A lot of them write books to legitimize their expensive seminars and as such they are just glorified advertising. To sum it up; be educated, be skeptical, don't buy into the fast profit promised by some people. If I seem to be negative about the financial services industry, then I've gotten my message across. When I first started, the industry at least pretended to care about clients. Now they seem to care about shareholder profits before small investors. That's not to say that you shouldn't invest. Just be careful.
    I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. Kenneth Clark

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelMorris View Post
    As a former Stock Broker, I would say that you should take your time. Don't be in a hurry to jump into the first recommendation that you receive. There are a lot of great brokers out there, but just as many terrible ones so shop around if you are going to use a broker. They can keep you from making big mistakes or they can throw you under the bus for a commission so be careful. You could also educate yourself and skip the broker. If you go that rout, read lots of books from different perspectives. In my experience most financial writers are selling something. A lot of them write books to legitimize their expensive seminars and as such they are just glorified advertising. To sum it up; be educated, be skeptical, don't buy into the fast profit promised by some people. If I seem to be negative about the financial services industry, then I've gotten my message across. When I first started, the industry at least pretended to care about clients. Now they seem to care about shareholder profits before small investors. That's not to say that you shouldn't invest. Just be careful.
    Thanks Darrel

I've been reading up a lot on the stock market checking stocktwits and reading charts and trying to interpret why things move the way they do. Same as with cigars, i took the money i got from my stolen motorcycle claim and i put it into stocks on an online trading site. my first stock i bought i was listening to my friend and i was very green and i didnt sell when the end was near.....if youre curious it was OCZ. I made money at first and then it tanked....but i held on thinking it'll reverse but it didnt. sucks...i still have it but all my other trades since has made some profit....still not enough to cover that hole from my first mistake....its a learning experience.

It is absolutely a learning experience. If you are going to be trading rather than investing, make sure risk management is your first priority.

I don't even follow the market anymore. As a struggling artist I am having trouble paying my bills, so there isn't any money to even think about investing or trading.
    I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. Kenneth Clark

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelMorris View Post
    It is absolutely a learning experience. If you are going to be trading rather than investing, make sure risk management is your first priority.

I don't even follow the market anymore. As a struggling artist I am having trouble paying my bills, so there isn't any money to even think about investing or trading.
    wow thats odd...howd u get from stock broker to artist....its wierd how life throws these curveballs at you. man im sorry but i'm sure ur loving what you do or you wouldnt switch.

I quit as a stock broker years ago. I left it to try and make it as an artist. After 7 years I went into banking, which I did for 6 years, until I was fired for being three minutes late to work. I've been unemployed for three years and have been keeping afloat by creating and selling my artwork. I love it, but the financial struggle is tough on my family.

Young Fish

im sorry to hear man....i hope thing straighten out for you....who knows you might make it big soon...head up

Thanks Garren.

The best advice I can give you is... "you want to be buying when they're crying and selling when they're yelling"

That way you buy low and sell high.

So, here's a test question.... Are they crying or yelling right now?????? Should you be buying or selling????