Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

World Cup

This is a discussion on World Cup within the Sports Forum forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Starts tomorrow. Think the US has a chance getting out of group. Think we should beat Ghana and have a ...

Full grown Puffer Fish Darkavenger's Avatar

World Cup

Starts tomorrow. Think the US has a chance getting out of group. Think we should beat Ghana and have a chance against Portugal. Don't see us being competitve with Germany though. Can't wait for tomorrow

Re: World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Darkavenger View Post
    Starts tomorrow. Think the US has a chance getting out of group. Think we should beat Ghana and have a chance against Portugal. Don't see us being competitve with Germany though. Can't wait for tomorrow
    Absolutely love soccer. Grew up playing the sport like a lot of kids here and played through high school. Kept playing indoor up until a few years ago when hockey sort of took over.

Anyway, been following the mls and world soccer ever since it started being televised more in the US in the late 90s (Prem on Sat/Sun). And then in 2002 the US almost made it past Germany which would have put them into the semis against South Korea who we beat in the group stage, but a hand ball on the line from defender Torsten Frings spoiled the party....terrible way to go out. That world cup was eye opening and gave a lot of US soccer fans hope and faith that the MLS could be a vehicle to produce some of the best soccer players in the world (McBride, Howard, Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley, Beasley etc.). Fast forward 10 years later and the league is almost a legit 20 team league that produces sell out crowds and is backed by an increasingly more stable "minor league" system.

This years world cup is incredibly challenging, almost impossible. We drew the "Group of Death" as they say. Germany, easily a favorite to win. Portugal, a highly skilled & pacey team with arguably the best goal scorer in the world, Ronaldo. And Ghana, the team that has knocked us out in the past two tourneys. Add to that a shakey-at-best back line, US coach Jurgen's antics about the US not winning and leaving Donovan off the roster; and well, it really does not look good for us.

Always fun to watch though!

Full grown Puffer Fish Ricardo-'s Avatar

I am a die hard football fan (Yes, I called it football... ). I played growing up in Chile where football is THE sport. I follow the Spanish league and am big Barcelona fan since I was a kid.

I already have 13 half days scheduled and plan to watch every game. I am looking into what's the easiest way to wire for a TV on my deck. Right. To smoke while I watch

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo- View Post
    I am a die hard football fan (Yes, I called it football... ). I played growing up in Chile where football is THE sport. I follow the Spanish league and am big Barcelona fan since I was a kid.

I already have 13 half days scheduled and plan to watch every game. I am looking into what's the easiest way to wire for a TV on my deck. Right. To smoke while I watch
    Chile is looking solid so far, fun team to watch with lots of attacking flair. Next match will be a real test for them.

Everyone wants to talk scandal for Group G's final day on Thursday with rumors of a coordinated draw between the US and Germany. Id love to see us go through, but I think that would be a real black mark in soccer history.

Full grown Puffer Fish Ricardo-'s Avatar

U.S. played better yesterday. Too bad Ronaldo decided to play at the last minute.

I think we will go through even if we lose Thursday.